Steering Damper MZ TS250/1

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Steering Damper MZ TS250/1

Postby Daniel_I » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 am

I bought a steering damper kit some years ago... fitted it... didn't seem to do much.
Have a bit of time now and have had a look at it. I can't see how it would ever work. It fits into the steering column but I cannot see how it would come into any contact with any fixed frame part in order to dampen the oscillations.
https://www.pieces-motos-mz.net/steerin ... e-car.html
Many thanks,
Daniel
Daniel_I

Re: Steering Damper MZ TS250/1

Postby Blurredman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:54 am

That link is broken I am afraid.. :(
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:19 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 am

one of my older BMW bikes had one of these type dampers
even with new fiber disks it did not work very well..and resulted in a
very bad wobble when too tight
i removed it so it did not hurt someone

the earls fork works well with the newer tapered bearings in the head stalk
and good shocks
3.5x18 tires my r50s can be ridden in parking lots with no hands on the bars
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Daniel_I » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Blurredman wrote:That link is broken I am afraid.. :(

link seems to work from my end :(
Daniel_I

Postby Daniel_I » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Puffs wrote:Maybe this one: https://www.pieces-motos-mz.net/amortis ... e-car.html.

<That link doesn't seem to work for me>

It works on friction, and one of the rings (the one with the hook) should attach to the frame while the others should rotate with the triple clamps. Hydraulic ones are probably preferred for their action. But not so much for looks on a historic bike - do you really need it?

<The wobble gets pretty bad when i throttle back OR have a bit of a load on the rear rack... Thx>

If I remember correctly they used to have things like this on MX sidecar combinations.

<This link should work> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steering-Dampe ... B0787ZH1Q8
Daniel_I

Postby Puffs » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Postby Puffs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:57 am

Puffs

Postby Daniel_I » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:35 pm

Puffs wrote:Maybe this one: https://www.pieces-motos-mz.net/amortis ... e-car.html.

It works on friction, and one of the rings (the one with the hook) should attach to the frame while the others should rotate with the triple clamps. Hydraulic ones are probably preferred for their action. But not so much for looks on a historic bike - do you really need it?

If I remember correctly they used to have things like this on MX sidecar combinations.

Hi 'Puffs',
3 years since I last posted on this. Thanks for your reply. I've been owner building and doing other things... but want to get the MZ steering resolved again... after getting it going again and riding yesterday and the wobbling was SO bad...
I discovered why the damper never worked properly. The 'hooked' washer ring which is supposed to held fixed by a 'finger' coming down from the frame... well, the finger isn't there! What is there is a remanent of what it was... with welds either side. The 'finger which doubles as steering limit must have broken off (it looks broken in the middle) when it must have fallen over. When I bought it I saw dents in the petrol tank where the handle bars had come into contact with it... so the steering limiting was non-functional when I bought the bike in 1980. Now all I need is a photo on what it should look like and I'll make one. No picture in the Haynes or original manual... so I'll try one of the European suppliers... unless ofc you can help. Many thanks
Daniel_I

Postby Puffs » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 am

Puffs

Postby mr_luke » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:14 am

This photo of the steering stop on my frame isn't very good, but it does show that it is very simple.

IMG_5971.JPG

I made and fitted the damper shown in the photo, because mine wobbled to the extent that it was annoying, but certainly not unrideable. I can tighten it down just enough that it won't wobble, without there being a noticeable drag on the bars, so I'm quite happy with it.

Like Puffs, though, if it's wobbling enough that you don't think it's safe, I would very carefully check over the rest of the cycle parts first. Wheel bearings, steering head bearings, swinging arm bushes, etc.

Do you have a luggage rack fitted?
mr_luke

Postby Puffs » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:23 am

Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Daniel_I » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:52 am

mr_luke wrote:This photo of the steering stop on my frame isn't very good, but it does show that it is very simple.

IMG_5971.JPG

I made and fitted the damper shown in the photo, because mine wobbled to the extent that it was annoying, but certainly not unrideable. I can tighten it down just enough that it won't wobble, without there being a noticeable drag on the bars, so I'm quite happy with it.

Like Puffs, though, if it's wobbling enough that you don't think it's safe, I would very carefully check over the rest of the cycle parts first. Wheel bearings, steering head bearings, swinging arm bushes, etc.

Do you have a luggage rack fitted?

Yes indeed. Between riding it 2 years ago and now I fitted a largish top box onto the back luggage rack. I am sure that has changed things somewhat. MZ-B in Hungary stock the steering stop... and I've ordered it. About 12 Euros including postage. I'll weld it up and re-attach the damper. The frame seems okay with nothing loose or cracked. I think that me being quite light (around 62Kg these days) and the top box, may be the reason for the wobbles. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks to both you and Puffs for your help.
Daniel_I

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk