Swinging Arm Spindle Removal ETZ250

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Swinging Arm Spindle Removal ETZ250

Postby nice2day » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 am

Okay, I bet this question has already raised groans and utterings of "Not another one". I am aware that this problem is very common and so because of this I did a search but surprisingly couldn't find anything about this on here.
Anyway, I'm attempting to do a full frame strip-down and cannot get the swing arm spindle to shift...So far used pints of penetrating oil and bashed the spindle both directions with immense force to the point of bending the thread ends...I can still cut this part off when it starts to shift ( If ever... and if it does I will be a very very happy man). Could someone add some hints or their experiences on doing this job please. "A problem shared is problem halved" they say. Hopefully this is true but I can see that I might need to use my 0.8mm disc angle grinder to chop it through and then have the expense of buying lots of new parts (if available) as I am now terrified of bending the box frame out of alignment if I bash any harder... :shock: :shock: :shock:..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks chaps

Les
nice2day

Re: Swinging Arm Spindle Removal ETZ250

Postby Puffs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 am

See Blurredman's website, in his signature, Haynes page 88, on how the construction is.

I had a similar problem in another bike, and I managed to get it out by pulling on one end (rig something using the thread you have) while banging on the other side. Also, you need to support the frame with weight to make the hitting-with-the-hammer more effective. Or maybe put it on it's side on the ground/concrete.

When I re-painted my 251 last year that axle came out no problem and was still shiny new, making me wonder if it was stainless. Assemble w/ grease.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello Puffs. Thanks for replying with some suggestions.
The story so far is I've continued with the penetrating oil and more bashing. I've also locked together the two 27mm nuts in a vain attempt to get the spindle to twist but the threads have started to strip as I've put on so much force with a 4 foot long lever on the socket but no movement whatsoever. As you say, the problem is not helped by being unable to back up the frame as the engine plates get in the way. When you suggest pulling, it gave me the idea to grind the (now very damaged) spindle threads to have two opposing flats and grip the spindle in a powerful vice and rotate the frame in order to twist the spindle round. I reckon once it starts to turn I would be able to drive it out....but it's very likely the spindle will just shear off I reckon... :cry:
Big problem is that it seems that a new swing-arm spindle is not available anywhere which seems hard to believe as every type of wheel spindle IS available...how many times do you need a new wheel spindle...hardly ever I would say.

If the vice job does not work (and I have little confidence it will) I will cut through the boss of each engine mount and cut through the spindle. This will allow removal of the swinging-arm and the remains of the engine mounting plates leaving the spindle ends clear and able to be soaked in penetrating oil*. It will also provide more space to bolster up the frame when I bash the spindle ends on the opposite sides. Even this leaves me with some doubt that it will shift but I have no choice...By the way, have you any idea where I get a new spindle as I reckon I will have to make one otherwise?.... Engine plates, it seems, ARE available.....Many thanks and best regards.....Les

* I find it impossible to get any penetrating oil onto the frame tube as the rubber bushes of the engine mounts seal around the spindle.

PS...Good News (for me) I have just found that the spindles ARE available...phew, that is a big relief.... :shock:
nice2day

Postby Guesi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:48 am

A new spindle is not the problem...
They are available as original part.
https://www.guesi-motorradteile.de/inde ... 1/c/_/_/?_
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby nice2day » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:46 am

Thank you very much Guesi. Unfortunately I DO have one now but I have "bookmarked" your excellent shop for any future spares I might require.

Best regards.

Les
Attachments
Guesi's Shop.JPG
nice2day

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk