interference suppression unit???

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

interference suppression unit???

Postby 95SaxonTour » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Okay, last year when I bought this bike, I posted a question on why my bike wont shut off with either the key or the switch. I was looking at the service manual and in the troubleshooting section and there is a reference to the interference suppression unit as a possible cause for this.

What does this thing do? I can shut off the motor by grounding the black/white coming out of the ign box. I'd like to find some way to bypass this thing if it is the problem.

the black/white is connected to the ign box
the solid brown is grounded
and the brown/white goes off to the wiring harness and is linked to the switches (I'm pretty sure)

Thanks, Ryan
Attachments
mz2010 002.JPG
95SaxonTour

Re: interference suppression unit???

Postby comanche91 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:23 pm

I never knew what that module was called. It doesn't show up on my German schematic, but I have one on both my Silver Stars. Maybe it was for the exports only? Anyhow, the BRN/WHT wire does go back to the ignition switch. When the key is in the OFF position, the BRN/WHT wire is shorted to ground. The BRN/WHT wire is also tied thru a bullet splice to the BLK/WHT wire that goes to the ignition CDI module. That's how the ignition switch when turned OFF kills the engine. Splicing the BLK/WHT and BRN/WHT wires together before they go into the "interference suppression unit" as in the pic below would bypass it. I haven't tried it though. It's name makes sense though as I suspect it's just an capacitor RF filter network that shorts RF interference to ground. And it looks like an add-on kluge unit. :-D

When I first got my Silvy, the seller said that occasionally it wouldn't shut off with the key. It never did that for me though. :D I went thru all the splice connectors, cleaned them up and/or redid them. Look for a single wire bullet splice where the BLK/WHT and BRN/WHT meet. A bad connection there would cause the symptoms you are having. Also make sure all the BRN wire ground connections under the seat are making good contact with the frame. HTH -Don
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Re: interference suppression unit???

Postby comanche91 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:21 pm

More information on the interference suppression unit from the German MZ forum:

http://mz-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=40365

Pics:

Like I suspected it's an add-on and was not installed originally from the factory. -Don
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Return to 500 cc