More Clutch troubles

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

More Clutch troubles

Postby Trogolodyte » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:16 am

Heyho,
I have a slight problem, my 500 country's clutch, it will not disengage, But as it has been sat since 2008, in a garage, unused, I think the clutch plates have stuck together, according to the bombadier/rotax manual's you have to take the head, cylinder & cam belt off to gain access to the clutch basket and plates this is a bit much for me to do alone so I need to know if there is a way to get into the clutch basket, without me having to strip the top end of the motor down??????????

ANY advice is very much appreciated

Thanks

Trog
Trogolodyte

Re: More Clutch troubles

Postby horosho » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:34 am

Well, you've probably already tried this but....
You may want to try kicking the motor over with the clutch lever in. If you do it in gear with the wheels on the ground it may free them.
Good luck!
1995 Silver Star Classic Gespann
horosho

Postby aah5 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Does the bike start? If so start it up and let it run until the motor gets nice and hot by then the heating up of all the components in the engine should enable the clutch to release. If this doesn"t work roll it along and snick into low gear while moving and have the clutch pulled in after a short distance it should release. This is a problem I have with my old trials bikes everytime I get them out of the back of the shed, works everytime.
aah5

Postby Trogolodyte » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:34 am

Well Horosho
I have tried kicking thumper over with the clutch in to no avail, and doing so on the ground does nothing but push the bike around one kick at a time!!!
Ahh5, will try warming her up first, as soon as it stops tipping it down outside, and if that don't work I'll give rolling it along in neutral pull in the clutch and engage 1st or 2nd gear a try
Trogolodyte

Postby Trogolodyte » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Managed to get the clutch free today, used several ideas from the forum.
1, got it goot and hot all through (waited untill the oil tank and engine sides were hot to touch)
2, adjusted the rough adjuster as loose as i could get it & let it run out of gear and kept pulling in the clutch and letting it go for 5 mins
3, engine running, bike in gear, clutch in and put lots of weight thru the rear brake and rev the engine untill it freed up.
Job done, now just have to re adjust the course adjuster back to a reasonable position. so it comes back on the lever and its time for the mot test...
Trogolodyte

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:15 pm

get a spare clutch cable in stock there bad about pulling the end at the handle bar off the cable
lube that brass end nipple with moly paste
dave

working on a fix to reduce the pressure on the cable end
its one of my winter things to do similar to easy clutch used on some old BMW bikes

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/ ... lutch.html
used to make a version of this for my r90s way back in 1975
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 500 cc