starter on 96 silver star

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

starter on 96 silver star

Postby boudreaux » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 pm

hey, just got a 96 silver star FOR FREE from a friend, just wondering if anyone knows what type of starter it uses? can't seem to find that info. also, anyone know where i could download a manual in english? thanks a lot, i'm glad i found this community bc it seems like everyone really knows their stuff. hope all is well with everyone... BG
boudreaux

Re: starter on 96 silver star

Postby horosho » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am

boudreaux - Welcome and congratulations on the excellent bike score!
I don't know where you can download a manual in english but if you can't find one be sure to post and I'm guessing one of us could make a pdf, which is probably a good idea anyhow. As far as the starter goes, they use a Nippon Denso 128000-8840. There are a lot of them on ebay for around $80. You won't find them listed under that part number though, just search rotax starter (I think they're also used on John Deere light tractors). What makes you think the starter is bad? The starters are pretty good and if the starting system isn't working chances are pretty good it's the clutch sprag, not the starter. This site has _fantastic_ instructions on fixing that (see http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3939 and viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4014) and very knowledgable and helpful folks to help you figure out what the real issue is.
1995 Silver Star Classic Gespann
horosho

Postby boudreaux » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 pm

hmm, i might have to give that a try... i did get it running after kicking it for about an hr. took it for a ride and it ran surprisingly well. when i got it, all the guy said was that the electric ignition was messed up so it might be what you mentioned. i'll let y'all know what i find. any tips on kickstarting it? there seems to be some finesse needed for the compression lever... thanks!
boudreaux

Postby comanche91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey boudreaux, just noticed you're from LA (Lower Alabama). I up near Huntsville and when I registered my Silvy a few years ago, the DMV said I had the only one (I mean only MZ) registered in the state. Welcome aboard. Image
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby comanche91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 pm

comanche91 wrote:Hey boudreaux, just noticed you're from LA (Lower Alabama). I up near Huntsville and when I registered my Silvy a few years ago, the DMV said I had the only one (I mean only MZ) registered in the state. Welcome aboard. Image

Kick starting these things is a bear. I've only managed to do it a couple of times, although I haven't tried all that often. Me thinks it's the Bing carb causing it. Even the German MZ forum complains about starting the Bing-carbed Rotax engines.
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby boudreaux » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:06 pm

oh nice, i have family there and in cullman. i've actually managed to kickstart mine a few times, it just did it after only 3 tries but i imagine that was just luck. the carb is also leaking fuel so i might have to do a rebuild there unless anyone has any ideas. any idea on where to get parts in bama, comanche?
boudreaux

Postby comanche91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm

You probably have the Bing 64 carb. Looks like the below.

If so, check out this thread:

http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5351
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Return to 500 cc