Fuel Delivery

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Fuel Delivery

Postby gellermpd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello all,

Long story short, I replaced my fuel filter a few days ago and put a larger one on. Needless to say, I got stranded when my Saxon Tour died on the HOV lanes of 395. Not sure if the filter was too big and not enough fuel was getting through or what. Also looked like the fuel line from the petcock valve to the filter was kinked due to the larger filter. Got the bike home and switched the filter out back to the old one. I have never paid too much attention to the fuel flow through the filter, so I am not sure if this looks right or not. Can anyone explain the fuel delivery system to me? I also noticed when I increase the throttle, the fuel flows a little faster in to the filter housing. I tried to upload a video, but was not allowed to, so in the picture you can see the fuel level in the filter housing is well below the brass filter. Any input is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jim
Attachments
Filter.jpg
gellermpd

Re: Fuel Delivery

Postby radiograf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I think you'll find that it was the kinked fuel pipe that was the problem, not the filter. If you're fitting a longer filter you will have to shorten the fuel pipe to compensate.
radiograf

Postby comanche91 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Two things come to mind:

1. Partially clogged petcock strainer. Unscrew the petcock from the tank and clean it up.

2. Tank filler cap not venting. Remove cap and see if this improves the fuel flow.
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 pm

my saxon tour had a kinked line between the tank and carb
the routing of the line is a bit funny
and i had to add more hose to get the kink out
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby gellermpd » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Well, I replaced the fuel line going from the petcock to the filter with 1/4" fuel line. I've got a full filter, ran it for a few days with no issues. Took it in to work and back without issues. Many thanks to all for the advise. I was in contact with the prior owner and he had the tank and petcock cleaned back in May, so I figured, after the advise, that it had to be that rear fuel line. Again, many thanks to all!
Attachments
IMAG3813.jpg
gellermpd

Return to 500 cc