Silver Star Tires

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Silver Star Tires

Postby metric » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Its cold outside and there's plenty of snow, good time to be thinking about new tires for the Silver Star.

The bike came with Metzelers, in front an ME11A 90/90-18 51H and in the rear an ME99A 110/80-18 58H. These tires have served me well, but I think I will find that they're not available. But maybe not.

A little searching on the internet has led me to Heidenau and Avon as possibilities. My bias would be toward the former for no better reason than that the company is based in the same part of the world as was my motorcycle's manufacturer. I'm not at all sure that either brand will be available in the USA in the sizes I require, however I have no fear of ordering things from far off lands.

A more aggressive or more "off-road" tread design would appeal to me, as I spend probably 20% of my time on the bike on reasonably well-maintained gravel roads.

I am very much not interested in changing sizes. If it comes to that I may start scouring the globe for remaindered Metzelers, though I know that aged tires can do one harm.

I'll be grateful for any and all advice, and will keep the group apprised of my eventual decision.
metric

Re: Silver Star Tires

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Heidenau tires came as stock on my rt125 in 2002 and worked well

i have a 1995 saxon tour with the 500cc rotax it has a 3.00x 18 front but the rear is a problem
here in the usa stock is said to be a 110/80x16 which can be found very rarely in a scooter size
120/80x16 for the buell blast will fit but is very close to the chain rubber covers
and sets the rear of the bike up making it steer quick
Heidenau is now sold in the usa by a few dealers but none seem to be able to get the size for the rear of my MZ
dave

ps nothing handles good on gravel note my saying below

"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 500 cc