Help removing top belt wheel

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Help removing top belt wheel

Postby daneng » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:40 am

Hello you all. I am new to this site, regarding my problem I have searched all I could.
I own a MZ500RF model, and trying to get to the Sprag clutch, which I understand is common problem, if you don use the valve release lever to shut down the engine. When I got the bike, the eletric starter was broke, the starter engine is running. My problem now is that I cant seem to figure out how to get the top wheel of the beltdrive off. Anyone with a good idea or some guidence. I even have a engine manual, but the pictures are old school and the directions very few. Please help.
Daniel from Denmark
daneng

Re: Help removing top belt wheel

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:24 am

the top wheel does not need to come off just the belt
and the bottom pulley
the sprague is behind the left side cover

the kick starter and if i remember correct the aluminum mount for the foot peg needs to be removed
before you can see the starter stuff
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby daneng » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi David.

Thank you for the reply. I think we misunderstand then, I am trying to get to the sprag clutch that turns the engine, like a oneway bearing. Taking the cover of at the left only reveals the flywheel which connects the startermotor the the clutch that interacts with the engine turning it to start. I might be horrorbly wrong. But as I recall I need to remove all the wheel and bearing + belt, the the kicklever, gearshifter, and then at the end the whole clutchcover, but before I can get that off, I need the plate beneath the belt to come off, because it overlaps the clutchcover. old machinery you know, and that damn beltwheel wont notch one bit. :) hit me back
daneng

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 pm

sorry did mine in 2004 and the gray matter is not in gear today

some one that has worked on the rotax more may chime in
i do not remember needing a puller for that belt wheel
but i do remember some one saying theres came loose either on the top or bottom belt wheel
mine was wrecked in dec 2007 and has not all come back together yet
mostly because i have not been feeling very well
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby daneng » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:47 am

Hehe, the grey matter is a working horse, but need rest as well.
Sorry to hear if you are not well. I am sure the machine will be put back together one day. You are right, the top pulley had a thing of coming off, but they was 2 kinds og pulleys fitted the the engine type, a zinc alloy which ended on the number 22, and then the pure alloy ending at the number 23, min is so stuck. I don think I need any special tool. I will put on the images of the manual, but I can get my head around how they do it irl.
Attachments
5.GIF
5.GIF (28.09 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
daneng

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 am

i think threads in the puller plate hole and a flat end on the puller bolt fits against the cam shaft ??

dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby mzredstar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:18 pm

yes you need a plate with 2xm8 holes and a m10 threaded hole in the the middle the m8 bolts screw into the pulley and the centre one pushes it off when you do get it off when you refit it loctite (222) the splines and the bolt as pulleys do come off :( and dont` tap the pulley on !
mzredstar

Postby daneng » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:37 pm

great have you tried changing the aptag clutch?
daneng

Postby mzredstar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:03 pm

yep after 124000 kms and 83000 kms once or twice :( got it down to less than an hour now cordless impact help :) they are not to bad if yours is a 500r you may have to drop the footrest/engine mount down you really need pullers for the top and bottom pulleys
mzredstar

Postby daneng » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:20 am

Thanks man,

thats a lot of KM i must say, your bike is a??
Mine is the model 500 RF, police mc, i´ll attach a photo, only made 280 of these beauties, and I love it. very rare. Only blinkers horn has been taken of. My bike runs like a dream, and even starts very easy uding kick. But the marks on the pulleys are all over the place, i guess somewhere down the road, someone had is apart and put the pulleys back on randomly. I cans seem to find the notch groove that everyone seem to be talking about either to lock the crank. So we agree that all the pullies, guide and the belt plate has to come off right. The bottom pulleys comes off by hand :/ But what kind of puller do I need for the top? sorry about all the questions.
Attachments
trailer2.jpg
daneng

Postby mzredstar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:09 pm

ahh so l/h foot rest assembly to be removed be careful the one bolt holds the subframe on so use the side stand or it may fall on you !

hi a redstar 500 only a few made and a 500r
have a look at this it gives you some dimensions ignore the title

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/TechTips%5 ... change.pdf

idea on tools req

http://www.apophisparts.co.uk/tools.html
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/tools/
mzredstar

Postby daneng » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks so much, still havent got it off, but havent tryied since :) gotta give a go soon. Anyone know which sprag clutch fits the bike, ducati models, bmw models, aprilia models ?

dan
daneng

Postby horosho » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:41 am

daneng wrote:Thanks so much, still havent got it off, but havent tryied since :) gotta give a go soon. Anyone know which sprag clutch fits the bike, ducati models, bmw models, aprilia models ?

dan

Word on the street (ie the thread at http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3939) is that the KTM LC4 part is a direct replacement. From that thread: "I bought the LC4 part 584.40.026.000". Several other useful alternatives in there. I cut down mine and it's working fine, haven't put a lot of miles on it yet though.
Good luck!
1995 Silver Star Classic Gespann
horosho

Return to 500 cc