Lubrifying da chain?!

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Lubrifying da chain?!

Postby ekirtz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:34 am

Well, I'm a little sheepish about posting a question like this, having had many, many bikes over the years.....

How do people lube the chain on these bikes? I've got a Silver Star Gespann, the chain is enclosed by the rubbery tubes (which I think is cool!), I'm not goin to have a problem getting an access point, I can figure that out...but the manual says to grease the chain - should I be foregoing my normal chain oil and using some sort of grease? It certainly could make sense, seeing as the whole deal is pretty much enclosed, what do others do?

I've been blasting many, many a kilometer so far on this rig, and it just handles beautifully as I work out the kinks. My lady has been riding in the car, and when she isn't I've got 75 pounds of lead shot to keep me company. Also several neighborhood kids (with mom and dad's permission) one of whom came RUNNING down the street with a helmet in his hand when he saw me with the garage door open. When your dad is a tattoo artist with a wild Harley I guess that's how you roll.

Thanks to all,

Eli
ekirtz

Re: Lubrifying da chain?!

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:53 am

i like the blue stuff the bicycle riders use
on wheel bearings and i think its waterproof
take the plastic cover off and rub it on chain at the sprocket not a lot
and take it apart in the winter and clean up the mess
and the chain will surprise you how long it lasts
dave

where i live they drive it till it dies and add it to the pile behind the Barn..

most small bikes are junk before the oem chain is worn out
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Re: Lubrifying da chain?!

Postby ekirtz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Fantastic! I've even got some of that blue stuff, having worked in a bicycle shop many years ago. I sure am excited about this bike and that Rotax engine. Even though I want to ride it RIGHT NOW, I don't want to wait until tomorrow to check the valve adjustment, so I'm gonna do that while the motor is nice and cool. I want to replace the fuel line and add an inline filter anyway. As well as put new clamps on the oil breather pipe that heads from the top of the motor to the dry sump. The top one worked loose as someone had routed it between some cable housings and it pulled loose which was not fun. Let's hear it for WORKING OUT THE KINKS near home on ANY bike new to you, no matter how well maintained it may seem...

Eli

(list of bikes and cars and trucks and jukeboxes and detritus goes here)
ekirtz

Return to 500 cc