pressure retaining valve assembly

Vehicles equipped with the 500 cc Rotax engine

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

pressure retaining valve assembly

Postby ekirtz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:09 pm

If anyone was wondering what the pressure retaining valve actually looks like - here you go. I replaced one today on one of the silver stars I have. You can see it when you remove the oil filter. I had oil draining down from the frame/tank when the bike would sit for a while - evidenced by oil pooled in the breather hose that goes to the air filter housing.

It's no fun to replace, I needed an impact driver (not the pneumatic or electric kind) to loosen it (and I don't think it functions anymore regardless of its condition previously). I wouldn't replace it unless necessary. There is a procedure for bleeding the air out involving removing this valve and kicking the engine through until oil comes out of where the valve was, but my interpretation of the manuals I have seen is that the bleeding is only necessary if one disconnects the oil lines - not every time you change oil/filter. I did this procedure once (different bike)- I was able to remove the valve without damage using the same impact driver, but I think I got lucky that it still worked.

You can see there are four parts. I have pictured the orientation they were in. Note the pin has a detent on one end, the end that goes into the rubber bit.

I will report back as to whether this solves the problem of the oil draining down from the tank. I am optimistic that it will.

If you are planning on removing the valve I think it would be a good idea to have your replacement parts in hand. Certainly it is possible to remove it without any damage and put it back in and have it work perfectly - but might as well be prepared if things don't go well.

Have fun all!

Eli
Attachments
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
ekirtz

Re: pressure retaining valve assembly

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:41 pm

close up pic of where it is on the bike would help
us who have not worked on the rotax too much
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby MZCountryRider » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:49 am

It's in behind the oil filter element, I believe.
Charlie
'69 Guzzi Ambassador
'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'72 Benelli 175 Enduro
'73 Guzzi Eldorado
'76 Guzzi I-Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada
'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah
'82 Moto Guzzi V50 III
'97 MuZ Skorpion Tour

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
MZCountryRider

Postby ekirtz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:15 am

Yes - I thought of that picture idea as well...after I had reassembled it! As usual, I'm pretty bad with documenting things while they are happening...
ekirtz

Postby ekirtz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:37 am

Well, it's not an action shot..but on the plus side, the camera remains relatively non-oil covered..parts 1-4.. That parts blow-up is the right side of the engine, under the plastic front sprocket cover. In fact now that I look at it - on "our" bikes, at least my MZ's, #7 is actually the oil pressure switch, with a tab terminal that a wire is attached to..
Attachments
Screen shot 2016-12-21 at 10.31.01 AM.png
ekirtz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:36 pm

while we are here check the nut and lock on the chain sprocket
mine has came loose 2 times and finding that nut can be a problem on a dark night
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 500 cc