Skorpion fuel tank paint blistering

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion fuel tank paint blistering

Postby ralf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Oh dear, my Skorpion fuel tank has broken out in blisters. I’ve had the bike since 2001 without any suggestion of this problem until today, so why now? Well, the bike has always been garaged and rarely ridden over winter but this year it’s been different. Because of another renovation project needing garage space the Skorpion has wintered outside under a waterproof cover. I know tank blistering is often blamed on fuel permeating through the plastic tank but it seems to me there must be something else going on to affect my bike now and not in the previous nineteen years. The blisters can be burst and there’s a small amount of fluid in them and it seems like water. Most of the blisters are above the level of the fuel in the tank but there is some below the fuel line. None of the other plastic parts painted in the same colour are affected.
The moral is don’t over winter your Skorpion under a waterproof cover.
It’s a bit of a sickener, that’s the polite version of what I’m really thinking. :smt013
SAM_0427.JPG
Chicken pox tank
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Re: Skorpion fuel tank paint blistering

Postby lavrentyuk » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Mine too :-(
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby ralf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello Richard, sorry to hear you have similar problems, do you have any similar circumstances ?
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Postby Puffs » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:30 am

Water ingress from outside? Suppose the tank is HDPE or so, a plastic to which paint sticks poorly.
Yes that would vex me...
Puffs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:25 am

over here on the west side of the pond
we have a paint called krylon for plastic
i used it as a base coat on my traveller in hunter green and then used a green from a Chevy corvette
from the mid 1960's but the tank has not made it back on the bike its not a exact match but will do
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:24 am

In the UK Humbrol makes a primer called "Makes Paint Stick", especially for 'difficult surfaces including most plastics'. Note they say most; not sure how reliable it is on HDPE (high density polyethylene), particularly on the long term. I have 2 bikes with a HDPE tank, neither is painted.

Of course none of this helps you Ralf...
If it is caused by minute quantities of water permeating through the top coat, maybe keeping the tank in a dry & warmish atmosphere might reduce the blistering. Might take a while though. The little bond there was probably remains broken, so completely healing it that way seems unlikely.
Puffs

Return to 660 cc