Mastiff/Baghira thermostat

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Mastiff/Baghira thermostat

Postby breakwellmz » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:13 am

Hi.

Has anyone ever taken the original thermostat apart or know how it works? I quite fancy replacing it with a proper one that cuts off flow to the radiators entirely until the engine gets up to temperature which i`m sure the original one can`t do. What sort of setup does the Scorpion have?

Cheers.
Attachments
MZ THERMO.jpg
breakwellmz

Re: Mastiff/Baghira thermostat

Postby handsomejackuk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:59 pm

i didnt realise that was the thermostat in there, i have removed my radiators tonight to do the valve clearances and to give it all a good clean in there, i was curious to know if my fan works, i did short out two wires on the temp sender and the fan did come on happy with that but the light on dash didnt so suspect i got a blown bulb, i dont think i have ever heard the fan come on, and with it being real hot the last couple of days i did have to turn my idle up a bit as my bike kept stalling...

anyway doing the valves tomorrow as been most of the evening stripping it down to gain access.. and its too dark in my shed tonight, head torch tomorrow should help with valve cleareances, although i did spin the motor and there is some clearance there so suspect the vavles are ok...
I'm a schizophrenic so am I !!!!
handsomejackuk

Postby jpmsteadi » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:07 pm

It is my understanding that the coolant light on the dash and the fan turning on are two separate events, controlled by two separate thermistors in the coolant. At least on the skorpion there are two holes in the upper right of the radiator that stock have two temp gauges screwed in: one for the overheating light and one for the fans.

The coolant systems on these bikes isn't exactly high-tech. The system is designed to run very cool most of the time. I can't imagine your fan would come on much unless stuck in traffic or offroad for long periods of time in the summer.
jpmsteadi

Postby breakwellmz » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:20 am

I think that`s the case. The only time my fan has come on is when i have (purposely) left it to run whilst stationary to check that the fan system works, and no, the warning light doesn`t come on.
This Baghira has only a single radiator -
http://www.bikebound.com/2019/10/24/mz-baghira/
Attachments
MZ-Black-Panther-14-683x1024.jpg
MZ-Baghira-Supermoto-2-800x535.jpg
breakwellmz

Return to 660 cc