Skorpion Overheating

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion Overheating

Postby bueller » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi Folks, am hoping for some help on my stock skorpion. I did a track day on her and after the first session, the fan went on while riding and shortly thereafter the overheat light went on. No change in performance. After the track day, i flushed the coolant, replaced, and put on one of those temperature radiator caps. Now, riding around town and on freeway, it takes a very short while for the fan to come on and soon after the overheat light. Checking the temperature via the radiator cap confirms that the coolant is hotter than 212 degrees, thus triggering the seperate fan and overheating temperature switches.

I did recently do the solid counter gear job. I also have not observed any coolant coming out of the weephole below the water pump.

Any ideas? Thanks!!
bueller

Re: Skorpion Overheating

Postby bueller » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:27 pm

I should also note, i drained the oil after the track day and there was no coolant in it.
bueller

Re: Skorpion Overheating

Postby Puffs » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 am

Some thoughts:

1) check the water pump
2) jetting lean? (did you put one of those 'high flow' air filters without adapting the jetting?)
3) clutch slipping?
4) not sure if it has a thermostat; if so: check it, or take it out.
5) consider one of those high T boiling coolants, with a high warmth capacity (to effectively evacuate more warmth out of the engine)
6) consider a higher pressure radiator cap (if it really starts to boil).

Good luck!
Puffs

Return to 660 cc