Pilot jet size?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Pilot jet size?

Postby ralf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:33 am

Having failed to eliminate the Skorpion backfire on overrun over the last 15 years of ownership and having learnt a little bit about carburetion on other bikes in that period I decieded to get adventurous (for me at least) and change the pilot jet. This was based on the common advice that backfire through the exhaust on overrun is due to weak mixture at small throttle openings. Secondly, I noticed that the Skorpion parts book lists an alternative pilot jet of size 54 whereas the stock is 48 which gave me confidence to experiment. Of course changing the pilot jet requires removal of the carbs . Having replaced the 48 pilot with a 55 ( the nearest I could buy costing a trivial £4.50) and setting the mixture screw at the OEM recommended 2.5 turns out I set off for a test ride. The bike is transformed. Despite my best efforts to make it backfire it didn't. It is also smoother on the pick up and at steady small throttle openings. Apart from changing the jet all I have done is to reset the tickover.
If you're suffering the backfire it's worth trying a bigger pilot jet.
Best wishes,
Ralf.
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Re: Pilot jet size?

Postby Blurredman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:15 pm

This is great news..

You were riding around on it for 15 years before doing this?

Congrats :)
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:12 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby ralf » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:43 am

The technicalities of burnt, unburnt and partially burnt mixture escape me. What I do know is that most forum threads you read it says backfiring is a sign of a weak mixture, what is also invariably said is that it's caused by an air leak on the induction side or an exhaust leak, rarely does it mention changing the pilot jet and only occasionally is there mention of opening the fuel mixture screw. Only when I saw a comment on general tuning that if your fuel mixture screw is more than three turns you need a bigger pilot jet and by pure coincidence I noticed the Skorpion parts book lists an alternative, bigger pilot jet (without any explanation why) did I put the clues together and get = try a bigger pilot jet. I know it sounds rather bizarre that I should have this problem for so long but in my defence there are lots of threads on Skorpions backfiring making it seem commonplace, even "oh they all do that sir", and you wouldn't expect Mr Yamaha to fit an undersized pilot would you? Anyway, another test ride completed and all's well.
ralf

Postby jimmuz » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Could you say where you bought the pilot jet from, Ralf?
I'm quite wary of doing anything to carburetors but my MZ backfire frightens the horses.
Jim
jimmuz

Postby ralf » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:45 am

I got my jets from UK eBay, item number 183987699319, Carbpart UK. I don't think they are OEM but they are nicely made. They are listed as being for a Yamaha TY250/R or TYZ250 but whatever, they fit the TK primary carb on my Skorpion.
Hope this helps.
ralf

Postby jimmuz » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:41 pm

I've found it, thanks very much for the post.
Now for the rear suspension. The Bilstein gas shock absorber unscrewed itself some time back which doesn't inspire confidence. Apparently the fzr 600 3he shock fits but is too soft.
jimmuz

Return to 660 cc