Master Cylinder

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Master Cylinder

Postby Señor Willy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:46 am

Need a master cylinder for my mastiff.
Would this be up to the job I wonder or should I avoid?
Anything would be better than the one one the bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124382640976
Señor Willy

Re: Master Cylinder

Postby jpmsteadi » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:29 am

Brake masters are pretty universal. I would just check your stock one to see if there is a size marking on it and try and get one that is the same. I would recommend a newer used brembo or nissin master, both are great. I imagine a 12.7mm or 13mm would be around the size for a single 4 piston caliper: that is what was on my Skorpion. I went to a 14mm brembo radial master off of a 2015 ducati multstrada and it made a huge difference in brake feel. I don't suggest that for a bike that going to be taken off road: having the integrated reservoir is good for crashes.
jpmsteadi

Postby Señor Willy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:48 pm

jpmsteadi wrote:Brake masters are pretty universal. I would just check your stock one to see if there is a size marking on it and try and get one that is the same. I would recommend a newer used brembo or nissin master, both are great. I imagine a 12.7mm or 13mm would be around the size for a single 4 piston caliper: that is what was on my Skorpion. I went to a 14mm brembo radial master off of a 2015 ducati multstrada and it made a huge difference in brake feel. I don't suggest that for a bike that going to be taken off road: having the integrated reservoir is good for crashes.

Hi jpmsteadi.
I was going to buy this as I've seen it recommended on here before as a straight swap but it's. not available.

https://www.ost2rad.com/MZ-Spare-Parts/ ... --301.html
Señor Willy

Postby jpmsteadi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:12 am

really just about any master should be pretty much plug and play. I don't know about mirror mounts or the like, but thats about the biggest thing that would be annoying. I would try something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-14-17-K ... Sw1PpfUb2b

Or something of the like. 12-14mm axial brake master off something relatively modern, ideally something slightly nicer of a brand too (something like KTM is more likely to have nicer components than a low cost honda or yamaha. I would use the opportunity to upgrade to something really nice like a radial master off of a ducati or the like, but its possible that will make things harder in terms of fitting the remote reservoir or the like.
jpmsteadi

Postby Señor Willy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:33 am

jpmsteadi wrote:really just about any master should be pretty much plug and play. I don't know about mirror mounts or the like, but thats about the biggest thing that would be annoying. I would try something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-14-17-K ... Sw1PpfUb2b

Or something of the like. 12-14mm axial brake master off something relatively modern, ideally something slightly nicer of a brand too (something like KTM is more likely to have nicer components than a low cost honda or yamaha. I would use the opportunity to upgrade to something really nice like a radial master off of a ducati or the like, but its possible that will make things harder in terms of fitting the remote reservoir or the like.

Would the mz brake light wires plug straight into one of those?
Señor Willy

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 pm

kaw klr 650 and kymco scooters appear to use similar items

look at a duke in a ktm dealer shop

there is a switch on ktm unit may have to solder wires to its tabs or may just plug in

i will look at a duke sat morning a dealer an see

my traveller is using a Saxon tour(rotax) clutch cable with some odds and pieces
form BMW and a Cannondale lever to sort out my no clutch cable problem

if they made it it can be fixed
above does not apply to fords and Chevy
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Señor Willy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 am

Just bought this one for KTM so hopefully works out.
Señor Willy

Postby ralf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:23 pm

As generally stated on previous posts, just get one with the same diameter piston as the original and you can't go far wrong. Whenever I need a master cylinder I look on eBay for a Nissin, common on modern Japanese bikes. I know you can get new Chinese copies for nowt but a genuine second hand Nissin is a better option in my opinion, your life relies on it !! I've used used Nissin master cylinders on a Norton Commando renovation and to replace a MZ master cylinder on my 500R.
If anybody knows the difference between a master cylinder on an abs system and the same bike non abs then I would like to know.
Any master cylinder whisperers out there?
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Return to 660 cc