New MZ Barghira

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

New MZ Barghira

Postby Gaspanic » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:16 am

Good day Folks.

Please assist with some of your valuable advice as MZ owners.

I can get a 660 Barghira which is essentially brand new (believe it or not). What's more, at a reasonable price.

I took the bike for a short ride and to be very honest I was quite underwhelmed. It (Also possibly the worst saddle I've ever experienced on any bike ever :oops: ) In fact, I wanted to pass it up, but I can't get the bike out of my mind. It's also a rare opportunity to find a new one.

I appreciate the basic traits of a thumper which was designed probably over 30 years ago (I've owned a couple), but I couldn't help to think that the bike felt almost lethargic. Sure it's brand new and has the standard exhaust but still, a boring motard doesn't seem right. Nevertheless, on paper it ticks many boxes so I have to have it :-)

My first choice would be a KTM 690 SMC or Husqvarna 701 Svartpilen however, reliability is a concern. IMHO reliability is as important if not more, than outright performance.

Okay so to get to my questions. These bikes and the motors are now really starting to get long in the tooth.
1. Are the (Yamaha) engine parts still readily available? I would hate to buy it and then have it stranded indefinitely because of some "hard to find" spare part.

2. Are the owners of these bikes still enjoying them as nice practical, reliable, sporty fun bikes? :wink:

Thank you very much for any advice.

Happy 2022!!

Gustav.

PS. Apologies if it seems that I am criticizing the bike. :wink: :wink: That is really not the purpose of my post. I so badly want to love it, just need to put my mind at rest that I'm doing the right thing to buy it. Thanks again! :lol:
Gaspanic

Re: New MZ Baghira

Postby Puffs » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:59 am

Wow - a new Baghira!

I never rode one, but at 50HP/57Nm/164kg dry it's possibly not quite comparable to the KTM 690 SMC @ 74HP/73.5Nm/147kg dry (which I do know). At any rate, I don't think it should feel lethargic. I understand there are restricted versions: check the vehicle documents.
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... t_mono.htm
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... _r_21.html

Best for '22 to you too Gustav!
Puffs

Re: New MZ Barghira

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:28 pm

the twin Carb setup is strange

i am working on a single carb setup for my traveller
welcome to site and have fun
Dave
got over going fast years ago
my rt125 goes fast enough on a crooked road to scare sane people :smt023
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Gaspanic » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:11 am

Firstly, let me say Thank you for the very friendly reception and reply gentleman.

It seems that I somehow got lost in translation with all the clutter in my email. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So let me keep it simple.

Are spares for the MZ/Yamaha engine and or any other vital spares readily available for these bikes or is there something incapacitating which may prove to be a challenge to find?

Do the owners of the 660 MZ bikes still enjoy them? ALl review etc are from at least 10 years back .... :)

Thanks!!
Gaspanic

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:54 am

Hi.

No problem getting spares of any kind in my experience of ownership of my Mastiff since 2004.
For engine parts get them for a Yamaha, a lot of chassis parts are KTM, and most of anything else you need are generic (common) parts.
Build quality is good, many parts and fittings are stainless steel.
I still get a buzz from mine each time i take it out.

Cheers.
breakwellmz

Postby Nobog » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:09 pm

I had a Mastiff and a Tour, both 660's of course. I think that motor is one of the best ever to go on two wheels, fast? not really. But the powerband just felt perfect for me. They take a long time to break in and get smoother over time also.

* yes, the seat blows (Tour was fine)
* the fit and finish - its not a Honda!
* Reliability of the Yamaha motor is unquestionable
* they are unique and always draw a crowd (what's a MZ? - at least stateside - USA)
* fix the seat and it would make a great daily rider

JK
Nobog

Postby Bertram » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:59 pm

I thought KTM made the worst seats. I solved my 98 KTM LC4 seat issue by having Renazco rebuild and recover it. It was a bit pricey but worth the outlay for the finished product. They use your existing seat base and work with you in building it for you.
Bertram

Postby m4panther » Tue May 17, 2022 5:20 am

Hi,
I have 24,000 miles on my 2001 Baghira. I'm the original owner! It's a great bike. Not the fastest, but it's not a #Metoo bike. Nobody has these and they're always appreciated. I haven't had problems sourcing parts. I paid to have my seat modified. Wife appreciated!

Good luck with your decision
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Return to 660 cc