Slow starting.

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Slow starting.

Postby Edge76 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:52 am

Hi all my new to me Scorpion tour. Runs great but if I leave her for a week or so takes 15-20 cranks to start her. Any ideas what might be causing it.
Regards Edge
Edge76

Re: Slow starting.

Postby lavrentyuk » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:02 pm

Try draining the petrol in the float bowl off - there is a screw for that very purpose. Please be careful with it as they seem to round off easily. Try a JIS driver in the appropriate size, they do better.

For some reason they don't seem to like fuel thats been sitting in the Carb, no idea why.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby Puffs » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:29 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Edge76 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Will I've it a go.
Edge76

Postby dickl » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:16 am

Try and find out how far you can travel after switching the fuel off. Then when you are nearing the end of a run switch the fuel off at this distance from the end. This should leave you with no or very little fuel in the carb. I do this and the bike starts very easily. Hope it works for you!
dickl

Postby jfh » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:23 am

I use the same technique as Dicki and it seems to work well. It’s also a good idea if you have a bike you rarely ride, keeps the carbs from getting gummed up.
jfh

Postby MarkyMuZ » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:57 pm

Hi,

I have suffered this same issue, in additional to previous comments (to which i have tried and still consider doing myself). I tried somthing different after destroying another battery and still having a to do alot of cranking to start even with a new battery. I decided to to clean the connections on the starter solenoid, even though they looked clean, i still cleaned them with sandpaper along with other connections for the start motor.

Reason being that if the connections are dirty they pull the volts down when cranking taking it away from the coil, thus giving a weak spark.

Having done this on my bike is alot easier to start.

Its worth doing just as maintence activity, clean the connection, and put some greaase on to help stop them oxidising.

Ta.
MarkyMuZ

Postby ralf » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:27 pm

I have similar experiences to the other contributers. I turn off the petrol about 1/4 mile from home and then let it idle until it stalls on the drive. Starts no problem next time. Another point not mentioned, I've bypassed the fuel pump and piped the tank direct to the carb. The pump is an unnecessary complication.
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Postby Puffs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:27 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Return to 660 cc