Best supermoto suspension setup

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Best supermoto suspension setup

Postby credit » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm

What is the best true Supermoto style suspension setup for the street
either stock or custom one off
credit

Postby phlat65 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:58 pm

wow... the stock low height works pretty well, I thing spending thousands of dollars on top notch Ohlins SM spec stuff will give you small increase in performance. loosing weight first would be the best help for increase of performance.

my bike currently has full height suspension on it, and I think the HR set worked better on road, but I do like the full height for its versatility. I had the forks apart, and the way the valving works is kinda wacky. the compression adjustment only affects high speed dampening, and only after the initail 1/3 of the stroke.

but if I had the money, I would put some 50mm ohlins upside down SM spec forks, and an ohlins shock :-D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby credit » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:56 pm

I was told by a motorcycle suspension tunning shop that there is an easy fix to the softness when you come on the brakes heavy and also a way to take out the slop at high speeds. By springs and revalving bu they are so far away from my house I looking for a closer shop
credit

Postby phlat65 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:32 pm

I have the stiffer springs already, I think a re-valve would be in order, but I don't see how valving can affect the first 1/3 of travel. there are slots cut in the damper tube that allow oil to flow out freely at the bottom 1/3 of the stroke. the valving then takes over dampening control after the piston passes the end of the slot. I thought about makint a slieve that partially covers the slot to make tha valving work for all of the fork travel. I guess I need to talk to the suspension tech to see if I am right....
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:10 pm

phlat65 wrote:I have the stiffer springs already, I think a re-valve would be in order, but I don't see how valving can affect the first 1/3 of travel. there are slots cut in the damper tube that allow oil to flow out freely at the bottom 1/3 of the stroke. the valving then takes over dampening control after the piston passes the end of the slot. I thought about makint a slieve that partially covers the slot to make tha valving work for all of the fork travel. I guess I need to talk to the suspension tech to see if I am right....

Interesting. I'd say - best bet - try to talk to Race Tech, they have good reputation for improving all the not-so-good stock forks - usually the Race Tech Gold Valve. I'm sure they'd know the Marzocchi forks used on the Baghira, so they should be able to suggest something.

Ohlins forks are so expensive, and not something you'd get on e-bay cheaply, you might as well put the money towards a Husqvarna or something.
cat

Postby keithcross » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:16 pm

As an older rider and the owner of a 1500 Goldwing, I dont have a problem with the Baggi's handling. I can see others might though. In comparrison with other motards I have ridden (various KTM's, a Vertimatti, a VOR and a Hukvarna) the MZ set up is quite soft. Maybe stiffer springs would help a lot.
As for suspension companies knowing the front forks used on the Baggi, they should'nt be a real problem as the same forks were used on early 90's KTM amoungst others.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Return to 660 cc