ACE instrument cluster

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ACE instrument cluster

Postby keithcross » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:26 am

Took a picture of my ACE instruement cluster today. My album also shows pictures of my baggi that I took today :)

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=193

The Trailtech unit will be removed shortly.

And this is the LED rear light I have fitted. No picture of it on the bike though.

http://www.mzriders.com/album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=196

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Re: ACE instrument cluster

Postby cat » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:33 am

oh boy, that's good! :D
It's even got all the lights.
Where'd you get it? How much? Is it lighter, d'you think? - At least you lost the heavy speedo cable.

And the magnet? I was looking at the magnets on a site where I was ordering other stuff, but they didn't have one that was 7mm diameter and I know they're hard to grind. I've been meaning to look at the trailtech magnets. But you've got an R1 disk.

One thing I've wondered about though is what happens when the battery is finished - do you lose the total mileage?

And I see you've got lights. I've thought of getting something small to add to the headlight. (The nickname cat is from years ago when I had good night vision.) ;-) So that's one good thing about the "bullbar" - you don't have to organise light mounts.
cat

Postby keithcross » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm

cat wrote:oh boy, that's good! :D
It's even got all the lights. Yep
Where'd you get it? How much? Is it lighter, d'you think? - At least you lost the heavy speedo cable. It lighter then the original instrument pod

And the magnet? I was looking at the magnets on a site where I was ordering other stuff, but they didn't have one that was 7mm diameter and I know they're hard to grind. I've been meaning to look at the trailtech magnets. But you've got an R1 disk.

I Glued a trial tech magnet to the disc itself for the tailtech unit over 18 mnths ago with araldite (not the rapid stuff thought) and the same magent works with the one supplied with the ace unit :)

One thing I've wondered about though is what happens when the battery is finished - do you lose the total mileage?

It powered by the bikes battery so no internal batteries to worry about. The odometer reading is retained when the unit is disconnected.

And I see you've got lights. I've thought of getting something small to add to the headlight. (The nickname cat is from years ago when I had good night vision.) ;-) So that's one good thing about the "bullbar" - you don't have to organise light mounts.
[b]
Yep, and if you wodering how the spots are mounted, I used 4 early Honda andleba clamps I had , so no cost :)

These units are available cheaper in the USA (vitually £1=$1) but this UK site gives details of the unit
http://www.banditmania.co.uk/digital_clocks.htm
All I have to do now is sort out the temp guage. I hae alrady moded the spare engie I have by tapping out an exixting hole on the rear o the cylinder I thnk its used for a mounting bracket on one of the Yamaha models, but not used on the Baggi.
I wil try to answer any other questions as the arise.

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:52 am

Are they both "driving" lights - spots - with maybe one angled lower, or fog lamp more spread beam?

I was thinking getting one of the little Hella FF lights and angling it down - it's more low beam light I need.

Did you use a relay? Where's the switch? :)

Water temp? Oil temp would be more interesting.
cat

Postby keithcross » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Cat

I actually find dip beam adequate with a PIA bulb fitted. But during my commute, down single track lanes, a better high beam was required for picking out detail further out. I like to be able to see things in the road like stones and deer as soon as possable. Plus the roads dont have much in the way of traffic on them and due to the width of the road any passing is normally quite a slow affair.
I did use a relay as I do with most accessories that take more than a few milliamps to protect the bikes wiring. The relay is switched when main beam is selected.
My heated handlebar grips are also supplied via a relay switched bt the tail light circuit so I dont leave them on when I turn the bike off.
Both circuits have of course got a fuse fitted to the relay supply.
Before anyone asks I do not suffer from a lack of power at any time, the bikes generator seems to cope with the additional load, but I dont spend much time in built up areas or speeds below 45-50 mph.

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:38 am

Thanks, I'll know who to ask when I add lights, if I need help with the relay and so on.

My application is probably quite different; a lot of urban or semi-urban freeways without much traffic, where I use high beam - because I need it at 120kmh - but I sometimes need to switch to low beam because the barrier or hedge or whatever is not enough to stop it bothering people on the other side or it's too much for the cars I approach from behind.

In the city, I keep noticing that the sportbikes - and the modern scooters that look like sportbikes from the front, the better ones, I suppose - have really bright, big visible headlights.

A while ago, when I was buying stuff for my R100GS project, I read all these reports/tests that said that the Osram Silverstar and the Phillips VisionPlus were the best, and I got one of the Phillips VisionPlus bulbs.
Then when I got the Baghira, I thought the headlight seemed quite good, but I thought I'd put in the VisionPlus and see how much better it was. Well, it turned out that that was what the Baghira came with! :) Another good quality part on it.

There's no deer problem here, just non-reflective people that sometimes walk into the road - we have a very high pedestrian death rate here. But we certainly have the possibility of stones and potholes on the secondary roads.
cat

Lights

Postby Bagwan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:49 am

What about the mini spotlights they put on the big Beemer trailies? You carn't miss them in the daytime and they seem to have a pretty good spread at night. Hard to tell what the beam would be like as i've only ever seen them mounted on engine bars
Dai Bagwan
The older i get the faster i was
Bagwan

Postby Fil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Glad you managed to find the ACE unit mate!

I'm well chuffed with mine, but I kind of wish I got the one with the idiot lights like yours - I've still got to tidy mine up...

I'm supprised more people haven't gone for these speedos!!
Fil

Postby keithcross » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:53 pm

I am suprised you dont see more of these units as well. Its a lot of extra £££ to have th eidiot lights, but it does make the whole set up tidier.
Lots of motard riders cant fit them though, no battery to run it :(

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:14 am

keithcross wrote:I am suprised you dont see more of these units as well. Its a lot of extra £££ to have th eidiot lights, but it does make the whole set up tidier.
Lots of motard riders cant fit them though, no battery to run it :(

Keith

That would be easily solved - just get a very small battery, if it's not needed for anything else. electronics stores.
cat

Postby Fil » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:04 am

How/ where did you mount the magnet & sensor Keith?
Fil

Postby keithcross » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:27 pm

I already had a magnet fitted to teh front disc for the Endurance unit and works teh ACE unit OK. The magnet was glued on to the disc rotor with areldite about 2 years ago and is holding fine. :)

Keith
keithcross

Return to 660 cc