Hepco rear rack

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Hepco rear rack

Postby kerry » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Does anyone here have one of those Hepco Becker rear luggage racks on their Bagghi, and if so, is it big enough to put a nice duffle bag on? Also, is it aluminum, or steel? Anyone want to sell one?....$140.00 seems a bit steep, but it would be much easier than making one I suppose. Thanks!
kerry

Postby dgunther » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:02 pm

I've got a Hepco rack that the prior owner of my Baghira installed. It is made of steel and seems to be very nicely built. I have a small topbox bolted to mine, but I imagine that a duffle bag or similar could also be made to work with it. $140 is a little steep for a rack, but I'd say this is worth it - provided you can actually get one.

Oh, keep in mind that this rack does replace the passenger grab rails, if that means anything to you.

Here's a picture:
dgunther

Postby keithcross » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Sorry guys, a top box on a SM just dont seem right. I use my bike every day for work (40 miles round trip) and I make do with a small bag over my shoulder.
I suppose I might think different if I didnt have any where to put my gear once I got to work.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby dgunther » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Whatever you like is fine - I don't like the idea of riding with anything strapped to my back in case the worst happens.

The box comes off with the push of a button if I want to remove it, but it's so handy for dragging my laptop and other equipment to the office, I tend to keep it on there. If I'm just going out for a romp around town or a weekend ride, off it comes!
dgunther

high cost

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:43 pm

high cost is a fact of life

but having something fall off into the rear wheel
and put you down could cost a lot more :smt018

i am not a fan of back packs
but a riding jacket with a spine and tailbone protector
makes me smile :-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby awschmidt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:11 am

I have one on my mastiff (same as the baggy). I've used it twice and you can have it for $75. I don't know if it would work for duffle, It does work nice for boxes and small duffles. If you are talking about a 24" or longer duffle, you would probably so better to lay it across your seat and rear fender using the grab/crash bars to strap to. As for construction, it is very high quality thin tube steel and fits exactly. I've found that if I need to take stuff I'm lazy and take that other German bike with luggage already mounted.
Kevin
awschmidt

Postby kerry » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:04 pm

Kevin....Yes I would like to buy the rack.....I just sent you a PM. Please check it and get back to me. Thanks! Kerry
kerry

Postby Randew2U » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:38 pm

Great deal for $75, wow. I paid 120 plus for mine and so-far-so-good. Definately well made rack. Anyone want to buy some OEM rear grab bars? let me know
Randew2U

Return to 660 cc