A Mastiff bunch of questions!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

A Mastiff bunch of questions!

Postby andyw » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:30 am

Me again :oops:

Chrome speedo/rev counter underside 'domes'
How do you remove these? - don't like the chrome finish and thinking of spraying them black or maybe even red to match the bike

Stainless steel replacement fixings (bolts etc) for engine and frame?
Anyone know of a source for replacement bolts kit - 660 motor bolt kit? Also a number of frame fixings looking tatty. I can go to the local Nuts and Bolts place but it'll be a lot easier if there's a kit available or even a specification list for the various bolts etc.

Underseat photo - wiring
Hmmmm.....someones been fiddling! Everything works but clearly the wiring has been played with. Please can someone post a decent sized photo of the battery/electrics area under the seat so I can see how wiring should be routed etc. A photo of the airbox rubber seal (missing from my bike) would also be useful as I may be able to find something to do the job if I can see dimensions/profile etc

Hugger?
Is there a hugger that'll fit the Mastiff swingarm?

Alarm
I'm going to fit an alarm immobiliser - anyone point me to the best circuits to break into for the immobilisation wiring?

Any general advice, things to check, stuff to watch out for? (things that break, wear out, fall off etc!!)

Thanks again
2005 R1200GS - 2002 MZ Mastiff: No more :-(

http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
andyw

Postby awschmidt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 am

To remove the instrument buckets, remove the pair first (mounting bolt on bottom by headlamps). Then you will find one speedo cable connection, the electrical connections, and one screw holding each bucket on. Note: be careful when installing these screws as the instruments are easily stripped.
Sorry I can't be a help with the rest; However, my messed up wiring shoots down the left side of the airbox then becomes spagetti at the battery well.
Kevin
awschmidt

Re: A Mastiff bunch of questions!

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:41 am

andyw wrote:Me again :oops:

Chrome speedo/rev counter underside 'domes'
How do you remove these? - don't like the chrome finish and thinking of spraying them black or maybe even red to match the bike

No Idea I'm afraid,cant be that difficult though.

Stainless steel replacement fixings (bolts etc) for engine and frame?
Anyone know of a source for replacement bolts kit - 660 motor bolt kit? Also a number of frame fixings looking tatty. I can go to the local Nuts and Bolts place but it'll be a lot easier if there's a kit available or even a specification list for the various bolts etc.

Not recoemmended as Stainlaes Steel is not a tensile material. Its bad enough keeping nuts and bolts tight on a big single, with out using bolts that will strech.

Underseat photo - wiring
Hmmmm.....someones been fiddling! Everything works but clearly the wiring has been played with. Please can someone post a decent sized photo of the battery/electrics area under the seat so I can see how wiring should be routed etc. A photo of the airbox rubber seal (missing from my bike) would also be useful as I may be able to find something to do the job if I can see dimensions/profile etc

Dont have a piccy, but this peice of plastic deosnt make much,if any difference

Hugger?
Is there a hugger that'll fit the Mastiff swingarm?

Alarm
I'm going to fit an alarm immobiliser - anyone point me to the best circuits to break into for the immobilisation wiring?

The best place to fit wiring for an alarm is to someone elses bike. All the alarms I have fitted to my bikes in teh past have been nothing but trouble. In the end who takes any notice of them anyway? Better to invest in a reall good padlock and chain, and an enduro bag to store it in when not in use.

Any general advice, things to check, stuff to watch out for? (things that break, wear out, fall off etc!!)

Things that go wrong regularly on my bike are, Speedo cables (now got fully electric digital one), original batteries, Front brake light switches (I buy them 2 at a time to make sure I always have one), chains and sprokets (I get about 10,000kms per set). Regularly check your oil level and change regualarly, regularly check tightness of all nuts and bolts.

Thanks again

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Re: A Mastiff bunch of questions!

Postby cat » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Good advice about the chain and padlock. There are some good ones available in the UK, just a question of how much you want to spend.

What happened to your speedo cables? Break?
Mine was hanging up soaking oil down it, but it was still a bit stiff, it doesn't spin freely.
cat

Postby F0ul_Oli » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm

A tip for security locks n chains in the UK is to visit the BMF show in May - I have bought my last two locks n chains from the Oxford people there.

I got a Monster disk lock for a £10 including a 1M HEAVY duty chain!! These are Thacham approved. I think they are excess stock, but a 80% saving on new is worth the wait!

Of course, if your bike gets nicked in the meantime, its not very good advice! :?

F0ul
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Cat

In teh past 3 years I have had to replace 4 speedo cables and one speedo drive unit. The last time I had a speedo fault I ordered a new cable only to fid the bit of the speedo it drives had worn :(. Hence the new ACE electronic instrument cluster :)

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:51 pm

More than one a year! yecchh

keithcross wrote:Hence the new ACE electronic instrument cluster :)

:)

Well, we'll see. Mine has a nick in the sheath that I didn't put there.
cat

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Its a shame you dont live closer, I have a good one hanging up in the garage :)

Keith
keithcross

Postby andyw » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:01 pm

I like this forum more every day!..............as usual fast and useful responses. Cheers guys :D

Wiring photos?? :)

Huggers? :)

Alarm install, immobilisation circuit? :)
(Hear what you say Keith but on the other hand I've never had a problem alarm and they do deter the oportunist occasionally. Think the thing with alarms is choose a quality system and install it properly.)
2005 R1200GS - 2002 MZ Mastiff: No more :-(

http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
andyw

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:45 pm

Hi Andy

Reguarding alarms, I have disconnected all sorts when they have given problems, from a £250+ system on a friends Fireblade to a very complex system on a 1500 Goldwing. The worrying thing on all of them was it was so easy if you have a reasonable knowedge of a bikes electrics.
You are right about a opertunistic thieves, but then so does a good padlock and chain. This way is also a lot more visable, so the scum bags dont even bother with your bike.
On the down side, in some areas of the UK, and with some bikes (mainly sports bikes) the insurance companies insist on a Thatcham Approved Alrm being fitted.

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:00 pm

keithcross wrote:Hi Andy

Reguarding alarms, I have disconnected all sorts when they have given problems, from a £250+ system on a friends Fireblade to a very complex system on a 1500 Goldwing. The worrying thing on all of them was it was so easy if you have a reasonable knowedge of a bikes electrics.
You are right about a opertunistic thieves, but then so does a good padlock and chain. This way is also a lot more visable, so the scum bags dont even bother with your bike.
On the down side, in some areas of the UK, and with some bikes (mainly sports bikes) the insurance companies insist on a Thatcham Approved Alrm being fitted.

Keith

I had one on a car once, with central locking. Once in a while it would give problems with unlocking/locking. I knew one day, it's not going to work, in some public place, and I'm going to have to get into my car with the alarm going off. Then it happened. I had to unlock the car and get in with the alarm going off. So I disconnected it permanently. Didn't tell the insurance.

What bothers me about the heavy duty chains, like the thickest you can buy at a hardware store, is you tell them you want 2m or whatever, they pick up the bolt-cutters and CLACK!, there you go. (Although some of those heavier Oxford chains do look better.)

Either way, if they want your bike - and I mean not just some kids, or amateurs, for a joyride or something, they come with a van. Park the van there, grab the bike, the alarm goes off, bike in the van, van gone. Within a minute they've ripped the wires out and stopped the alarm. Or, big chain, they bring bolt-cutters, CLACK!, bike in van, van gone.

I'd go for a chain. They need good enough bolt-cutters.

I don't what the insurance-approved alarms are like, but it's not a car. There's a limit to the size of the alarm and the horn, and how well it can be hidden. (Not well, on a bike.)

But either will deter most casual thieves, the kids. But they're not coming with a van, they're wandering around, they get the idea, but they don't have bolt-cutters. They might be bold enough or drunk enough not to care about an alarm, but a chain, they need bolt-cutters. - That's my 10c worth. :?
cat

alarm

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:03 pm

have an alarm on my bike
it is home made as i have a ham radio license
it is a motion switch hooked to a fm transmitter
a hand held that the rec died in
so cw unit turns tx on and sends morse code id to
radio in house or on my belt
has never went off and i test it each week
works great and cheap
:-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby roge-a-billy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Google Almax chains, very near to un-cutable. Log onto http://www.visordown.com got to the (Very ) good supermoto forum the Mod' in charge Zanx will tell you how good they realy are and what a big rip off Oxford chains are :shock: Expensive but I going to get one soon 8)
Up to my knees in gin & hookers
roge-a-billy

Return to 660 cc