Street Moto Maintenance

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Street Moto Maintenance

Postby labrat34 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:28 am

Hi All-
I'm a newbie here, just getting back into riding. The Street Moto looks like it would be fun. There are a couple of 2002 MZ Street Motos at some local dealers. I was wondering what a fair price would be. Any ideas? They are asking about $5000.
Are there any unusual maintenance issues with the MZ STreet Moto?
I was looking at the KTMs, but was turned off by the tinkering involved with the LC4 engine. The Yamaha engine seemed a more reliable choice to me.
Also, what kind of range (miles) do you get out of a tank of gas?

Thanks for the info.

Derrick
labrat34

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:06 am

Welcome..... Don't buy the KTM, daily riders are selling them at around 8-10 thousand miles with some fairly serious lower end issues.... two on another board have spent 1500.00 to 2000.00 in repairs.... and have sold them and bought Honda's.......
For 5 k grab the MZ !!! the new list is 7700.00 I bought a 2003 for 5500.00
Phlat got a 1999 for 5500.00 all the same bikes, no major changes
the resale on the KTM's that are like new are half of what they originally paid for them ! The new 640's and 625's etc are selling like hot cakes ???? go figure..... people don't like the wild look of the MZ nor do they like the stock weight of 380 lbs....... its easy to shave off 30 lbs or so.... its a excellent bike and you will not be sorry......I think the KTM is ugly as shite.... just me, I guess....
The street moto is an absolute gas to ride and I love mine......
I have had no mechanical issues with mine at all, the only thing I had to learn is not to touch the gas at all, whether warm or cold /choke.....
Buy the bike so we can help you spend more of your money !!!!! :-D
(these bikes do not require any special maintenance) change the oil/filter regularly like you would any other cherished bike)
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby Dezmo » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:39 pm

1st off, let me say I absolutely love my street moto. That being said, I advise you change the oil a little more often than usual, maybe every 2000mi or so, singles are tougher on their oil than most motors. You can get oil filters from yamaha dealers, I cant recall the part# at the moment, but I can get it if you want. the only other major maintenace issue is valve adjustments, and even tho a lot of parts have to be removed or loosened, its still a fairly easy job, since yamaha was nice enough to put threaded adjusters on the rocker arms. The radiators get in the way, but you can leave the hoses all hooked up and just take out the mounting bolts and push them over a bit
Hella Yella, coming ta getcha!
Dezmo

Postby phlat65 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:14 pm

I love mine too!!! it is a 2001 (brian), I have put almost 10,000 miles on it, and have had no problems. I change the oil every 2000-2500 miles, I use synthetic oil, and check it every 500 miles. some parts from the XT carry over (hubs, oil filter, sprockets...) some parts from the KTM LC4's (front brake light switch, some controls and stuff)

I flog the shit out of it, and deffinitely don't baby it. at least 2-5 wheelies every time it leaves the garage (some times just to do wheelies :twisted:) and I commute 60 miles to work on it. It backs in easily, RAILS in the tight stuff, and stops very well. rode my XT600 40k until it shucked the rod, but I don't think I changed or checked the oil more than 4 or 5 times...

here's mine and brians at a parking lot flog session...
Attachments
Picture 030.jpg
Picture 030.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat-tard » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:42 am

The valve-adjustment is really easy to do on this motor... waaaaaaaay easier than most of the new-generation of inline-4cyl sportbikes.

...and synthetic oil is great, but do yourself a favor and if you buy a new one, get through the first break-in service and the second oil-change using regular dino-oil before making the switch over to synthetic.

...has anyone here put the rollerblade-wheels on the ends of the axles?
cat-tard

Postby 125SMash » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:49 am

phlats bike in the pic above seems to have those installed.
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby keithcross » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:08 pm

Fitting roller blade wheels is real easy on teh Baggy. Drill each end of the spindles about 1" deep and tap a tread in it. This tread should match the internal sive of teh roller blade wheel bearings (prob 6mm). Job done.
This is popular in the UK as we have to have them fitted to take part in most track days. Some even insist in them being fitted to the underside of the foot reasts now as well.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:25 pm

you can see my skate board wheels in the above picture.. had a buddy center drill them in his lathe..
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat-tard » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:25 am

OK - I gotchya - went ahead and drilled and tapped M6 even though the bearing ID is 1/4" (it's really really close).

...are you guys leaving the bearings in the things so the wheels spin? It seems kinda apt to snap off the bolt that way...
cat-tard

Postby keithcross » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:20 am

I would have thought that if the wheel was ridgedley fixed it would be more likely for the bolt to snap. If the bearing is left in then the wheel can obsorb the ititial contact with the ground by spinning. After that I cant see that the bolt would be more likely to snap.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Whysub » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:50 am

Just come over to MZ from a supermoto'd XR650 for the "lack" of maintenance it needs in comparison.

I would use fully synthtic too, although when I put it in my Gixxer at 70,000 it sounded as if someone had thrown a handful of nails in it, so I went back to using really cheap car oil, although I did change it every 3000 miles. Engine was still good at 120,000 miles when it was killed by a blind pickup driver.

Oil is cheaper than engine components.
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby cat-tard » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:29 am

Whysub wrote:Just come over to MZ from a supermoto'd XR650 for the "lack" of maintenance it needs in comparison.

I would use fully synthtic too, although when I put it in my Gixxer at 70,000 it sounded as if someone had thrown a handful of nails in it, so I went back to using really cheap car oil, although I did change it every 3000 miles. Engine was still good at 120,000 miles when it was killed by a blind pickup driver.

Oil is cheaper than engine components.

My oil-cooled gixxer has sounded like a box-o-nails since the day I bought it. ...it's got nearly 60K miles on it and gets regular abuse... err... I mean "use" at the dragstrip. - all on the original engine top-end.
cat-tard

Postby Whysub » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:40 am

cat-tard wrote:[My oil-cooled gixxer has sounded like a box-o-nails since the day I bought it. ...it's got nearly 60K miles on it and gets regular abuse... err... I mean "use" at the dragstrip. - all on the original engine top-end.

Mine was the slabsider H model of 1986. Would still do 140 mph everyday (if it had to, of course). When that was written off, I bought a low mileage F model from 1985-it was not the same, so after riding it twice, I sold it on.

Maybe I'd buy another one, but "streetfightered" this time-injuries mean I find most (but not all) sportsbikes uncomfortable after 20 or so minutes. And licence threatening too.
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

New Baghira

Postby sbaschn » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:56 pm

Hi all. Just in case some are interested. I bought mine from a guy Joe in Florida for $4300, brand new in the crate with the 2 year warranty. I told him about this site yesterday and he plans on listing soon. he told me he has 3 brand new 2003's in stock. These are not the black panther, it's the Baghira Enduro with the tall height and the knobbies. 21 inch front rim and 18 inch rear. He will ship anywhere in the US. All I can say is he's a good guy, sells at a fair price and it's a brand new bike. Mine is running great and I have the 2 year warranty. He has a dealer called Throttle-Up in Hobe Sound, Florida. He has awesome customer service. My bike had a broken blinker in box and he's sending me a new one. I am not affiliated with him, never met the man, but I can most certainly vouch for him. if you need a new Enduro, he's the one you need to speak with. I love my bike, I would never have considered buying any other make. None look as mean as the MZ and for $4300, how can you go wrong? I guess if you want street only, you will have to change the tires and rims. I have the big knobbies and it has not been an issue for me on the road. he will send you all the paperwork and you just take it to the DMV and get a tag. Very easy and hassle free. If he doesn't post soon in the For Sale forum, feel free to contact me and I will give you his email address. I know as of yesterday, he had 3 Enduro's. Plus, he may be able to get you anything you want as far as MZ. I know he has sold some 125's on eBay. He may also be able to get you the Black Panther as well, but I am not sure. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
sbaschn

Return to 660 cc