Is the 2003 Baghira really 397 lbs

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Is the 2003 Baghira really 397 lbs

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:03 am

Hi guys
First time here.
I will be a proud owner of a new Baghira,(2 weeks) Titanium in color.
I have two questions I hope someone out there can help me with. Why is this machine so heavy (180KG's/397 LB's) comared to the next heaviest which is the KTM @ 324 lbs. Also I still have a choice between the standard height (which is the same as the enduro model) or the 2" lower version.
I'm leaning towards the lower version because I was thinking that the lower center of gravity will improve the handling when I'm on the street. I'm 6'2 and 238 lbs and will be riding approx 60 % on the street and the rest on back roads and fast trails
Its very hard to find someone here in Seattle thats knows these bikes, even the dealer is not totally sure. By the way the pictures I have seen of some of your bikes all tricked out are absolutely fantastic. I can't wait till I can start modifying mine.
Thank you in advance for the replies.. Brian
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby Goldie » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:19 am

Hi and welcome!
Don't compare the Baghira with the KTM :wink:
The engine of the Baghira is 15? years old and comes from the Yamaha XTZ660. I think it's the heaviest part of the bike. KTMs are mainly race and competition oriented.
The Baghira is primarily an every day commuter, cheap and reliable. If you're riding mainly on the street the weight doesn't really matter.
But you have all possibilities to let it use weight by modifying some parts :)
Black Panther 99
KTM 400 EXC 01
Goldie

Postby Olli » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:33 am

Hello Brian,

the weight:

I suggest it should be fine with 107kg/1.88m to choose the "normal" Baghira.....

Not at least because the suspension is soft enough - you will feel what I mean when you take a seat :D

Greetings, Olli
Ride rude!
Olli

Postby Olli » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:46 am

Hi,

the XTZ660 engine has been built since 1991 - (12 years now)
so it´s hard to compare with the light-weight engines of KTM.

As Goldie wrote: Reliability was one of the most important goals during development at Yamaha.

KTM´s strategy is definately race-orientated, which means more powerful and lightweight bikes but you have to take care of the service.......

hope, this will help to find your way.

Greets, Olli
Ride rude!
Olli

Postby phlat65 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:49 pm

Hey. I live in Edmonds. I have the reduced height version. it is great for street riding, but the fork is not adjustable. this does not make a difference for everyday use, but if you are a serious rider, it would be nice to have the adjustability. What is your mc background? What are you looking to get out of the bike? I think you can order the 18 and 21 inch wheels from MZ for about $1000.00 and make it a dualsport.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby phlat65 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:11 pm

Brian, I just sent you a private message.

later
2001 MZ Black Panther
phlat65

The big choice

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:07 am

I have been mixed up with boats for the last few years so haven't been riding.... I am a aggressive rider have owned/ridden XR600, TT250, RD 400, GS750, CBX, yamy 1100, deadwing, TT500, some moto 250's etc. I am mored concerned with the center of gravity on the street... ??
I am from BC originally and know tons of back roads up there... I will have groups go up and cruise the back country.... you are always welcome to come along,
Try the message agai.... later,,, Brian
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby mham001 » Fri May 07, 2004 9:41 pm

Goldie wrote:Hi and welcome!
Don't compare the Baghira with the KTM :wink:
The engine of the Baghira is 15? years old and comes from the Yamaha XTZ660. I think it's the heaviest part of the bike. KTMs are mainly race and competition oriented.
The Baghira is primarily an every day commuter, cheap and reliable. If you're riding mainly on the street the weight doesn't really matter.
But you have all possibilities to let it use weight by modifying some parts :)

The weight is really disapointing. Compared to other street bikes in several classes the Baghira is a pig. Visiting several manufacturers websites tells a bad story. Assuming they all lie about dry weight the Baghira weighs more that the lowly KLR650 by about 50lbs and costs $2400 more(MSRP). This is quite embarassing if you remember the KLR is about 18 yrs old. It does get worse though. For a commuter bike, the SV650 kicks butt at 165kg(364lbs) has about 65 horses and is about $1400 less and I beleive has better reliability. The current exchange rate is killing the euro manufacturers.

Then there is KTM. I don't understand why we can't compare them, especially when they are producing a bike in a similar class with more horses x2+ that weighs only 37lbs more (and admittedly more money). The Adventure 950 is quite a bike and I would not consider it a race thoroughbred like some consider the 640. When KTM releases the Duke990 it will weigh less and produce 115 horses. That hurts.

I mostly like my BP. I got it for $5k OTD. That was about $1k less than a KTM640 at the time. It does have some cheesy parts(along with some very good ones), but I got what I paid for and don't complain. Now the MSRP is $7400 for the BP. That just does not compute when you consider the abysmal distributor support.
I really wish I'd known that my paint would peel off the windscreen and fender and I'd never get replacement parts before the warranty expired. I wish I knew that the seat and bodywork holes did not line up and I'd curse like a sailor every time I tried to put the seat on until I finally lost the Zus(sp?) fastener which cannot be puchased anywhere. I wish I'd paid more attention to the weight and I wish I'd known my dealer was discontinuing the brand a few months after I got mine at a discount(now I know why). I wish I'd known the batteries(ALL of them) crap out in 12 months.

All this is ok if the bike was still $5k. There are 3 crated Enduros on Ebay for $4400, but that is somewhat deceptive. Add $350 for shipping, tax when you get to the DMV and youre pushing $5500. Don't get the 17 wheels either and you have to set it up yourself. You get the 2 yr warranty, but wheres the nearest dealer?
I know this sounds like rain on a parade, but MZ in North America has some serious problems.
mham001

Postby motardina » Sun May 09, 2004 9:48 pm

we have an accurate sale in the shop...i think i will weigh the bikes tonite and see what they actually are, wet, and let ya'll know. we also have a klr650 in the shop...i'll weigh it too. :wink:

edit: ok, weighed the bikes. a bone stock standard height baghira, 2003, with a full tank of gas weighs in at 400# on the nose. The KLR we also have, also with a full tank, bone stock except for an aluminum aftermarket can, weighed in at 425#. For a comparison, based on an advertised dry weight of 330#, a KTM duke 640 with full gas tank and oil ought to weigh in at around 360#.
The ultimate word is "I LIKE".
motardina

Postby Brian » Mon May 10, 2004 10:21 am

motardina wrote:we have an accurate sale in the shop...i think i will weigh the bikes tonite and see what they actually are, wet, and let ya'll know. we also have a klr650 in the shop...i'll weigh it too. :wink:

edit: ok, weighed the bikes. a bone stock standard height baghira, 2003, with a full tank of gas weighs in at 400# on the nose. The KLR we also have, also with a full tank, bone stock except for an aluminum aftermarket can, weighed in at 425#. For a comparison, based on an advertised dry weight of 330#, a KTM duke 640 with full gas tank and oil ought to weigh in at around 360#.

I'd love to come down and weigh my bike after all the mods......
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby phlat65 » Tue May 11, 2004 11:45 pm

I bought my Baggy as a street/commuter bike, and dont regret it one bit. It replaced a 93 XT600 that I put 30,000 very hard miles on, and it puts that bike to shame!!! I have not had all the problems you talk about except the parts availability... I have chased down a KTM 525 with full motard set up, and pressured him into a pass, so I think the bike is capable enough to have alot of fun too!! (just ask Brian)...
2001 MZ Black Panther
phlat65

Postby Brian » Wed May 12, 2004 2:46 pm

phlat65 wrote:I bought my Baggy as a street/commuter bike, and dont regret it one bit. It replaced a 93 XT600 that I put 30,000 very hard miles on, and it puts that bike to shame!!! I have not had all the problems you talk about except the parts availability... I have chased down a KTM 525 with full motard set up, and pressured him into a pass, so I think the bike is capable enough to have alot of fun too!! (just ask Brian)...

Yup, If you look around there is nothing that comes out of a crate that is a street legal SM that compares to the MZ product.....The other bike is the KTM 640.... Phlat and I belong to other sites and one site there are two known 640's that are commuters, one of them at 8500 miles blew up his lower end and the other sold it after 4000 miles and bought a Honda 650 and put 17's on it and a larger front brake etc etc etc .....(he was tired of being nickled and dimed to death...) A guy I work with has a friend who has a 640 at 10000 miles and lost the lower end as well.....The Kawi is a dirt bike than can be converted as is the Honda, reliable engines but not the handling machine the MZ is.....I take exception to someone calling my bike a pig..... its not......It runs at 80 mph all day and is very stable.... its designed for what I use it for....period.....Reliability and weight are the tradeoffs when you buy the other brands (euro bikes) If I raced and I might one day I'd buy a Husaberg...... its a racebike and I would change ALL the fliuds after every race..... when I called around prior to buying the MZ all three KTM dealers told me that If I don't like to "tinker" don't buy the bike... 1 of them sold MZ's as well..........Phlat runs the snot out of his and its fires up and runs perfectly ! I can't wait to see him on a track because he will embarrass the other guys pretty quick...If he can't pass em he'll be on their arse....... :-D
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby Brian » Wed May 12, 2004 3:46 pm

Oh yea, SV 650.......... nothing personal but that bike is about as passion inspiring as a Honda Stationwagon and it ain't a SM........ :wink:
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

2003 Baghira

Postby sbaschn » Fri May 14, 2004 11:58 pm

Well, I just got a brand new, in crate, Baghira Black Panther. I have to agree, it's one heavy bike. I found that out when I had to get it out of the truck. I had to actually install the front wheel in the bed of the truck and coast off a ramp to get the bike off. But let me tell you, it's heavy, but once you open that box and take one look at this bike, you just sit in awe. I paid $4400 for it from a guy on eBay and $75 to ship it to a warehouse near me. Once you get in the seat and ride this bike, you fall in love. It just looks so different that any other dual purpose bike. It looks so sweet, so mean. Pictures do not do it justice. You have to see one in person. I am lucky b/c the MZ headquarters is in Daytona Beach which is like 40 mins from where I live. I am just breaking it in now, so I am not getting on the throttle, but man does that engine roar. If you look you can get one for that price and it's a hell of a better bike than any other in my opinion. I looked at KTM's, I looked at Honda's and Kawasaki's. They do not even come close to the MZ. Heavy or not, those other bikes do not even compare to the MZ. I would get the lowered seat. I am only 6 foot tall and I can bearly touch the ground on this thing. I have the dealer lowering it next week. My only complaint is the blinkers. I broke one off while taking it out of the box. Very flimsy design. No big deal, warranty in effect and they are mailing me a new one. Another problem I had while setting up the bike was that the black wire is positive on this German made bike. Also, you can't start it with the kickstand down unless you tape that little switch by the kickstand. I like to warm my bike up before I get on it. Gorgeous bike, I wouldn't ride anything else. I rode it around my neighborhood and let me tell you, people stop and stare. If I was on a KLR, they wouldn't even give me a second glance. Needless to say, all my neighbors found a reason to visit me today! I can't wait to break it in and start hitting some trails! 8 miles on the odometer. If you have the opportunity to buy one of these machines, do not even think twice.
sbaschn

Postby cat-tard » Sat May 15, 2004 1:46 am

I concur - mostly...

...mine starts fine with the sidestand down - as long as the transmission is in neutral...

...just so ya know.
cat-tard

Next

Return to 660 cc