New End Can Fitted-At Last

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

New End Can Fitted-At Last

Postby Whysub » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:56 am

After seeking out recommendations, looking at what is available and at what price, I finally plumped for a Carbon Can Company end can for the Baggi. The deal offered at the NEC was too good to turn down for their road legal can with twin outlets. It came well packed, and with all the fittings and simple fitting instructions (which look like they were drawn by a six year old)-very east to follow.

Took about 30 minutes to fit, start to finish-just had to unbolt the old one (never realised how heavy it is), and bolt on the new one. Took a couple of attempts moving all the bracketry about to get it positioned high enough to look good.

Overall impressions are favourable. Built quality is good and the sound is very nice (loud, but not offensively so) and it now lifts the front when accelerating hard. The power delivery feels much stronger than before, and top speed and fuel economy do not seem to have altered over the 160 odd miles I rode.

The only down side is that I have noticed (imagined?) an increase in engine vibration and engine noise. Still nothing like my XR650 had though.

It has also melted my rear number plate-a slightly longer spacer and bolt, plus a thicker bracket and a bit of repositioning will sort this. And it has encouraged me to put some time aside to fit the short rear guard and rear light I have had sitting in the garage for 5 months. Pictures later.
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby gedge » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:12 pm

Got to say I am well pleased with my carbon can co one. I put a very small dent in it, and at theshow they offered to re-sleeve it for £45.

The performance is definitley better , but I couldnt get on with the position. My plate melted too, so I am about to order anew smaller one. The new posiiton is well away from the plate so it shouldnt be a problem. IMO it now looks better too. I am going to post Ray at CC Co a copy of th epic so that they can make a choice of link pipes .. :wink:

good co. to do business with :D

Go on then show us a pic with the twin outlets... Did you go for an anodised finish or just stainless :?:
gedge

Postby hulagun » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:46 pm

Both you guys please post pictures!! (Gedge - just the newest ones!)

Gedge: I just ordered a Y-pipe connector from tunebike.de. I will be modifying it to be similar to yours, I am watching ebay for a suitable muffler for this scheme.

Do ya mind sending me the dimensions of your canister so I get something close to the right size? Don't want any melted parts. :)

When you say it melted your number plate you mean the part below the turn indicator or the painted side panel above the connector?

Ivan
2001 MZ Black Panther
1978 Ducati 900SS cafe racer
1972 Triumph 500 flat track racer
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650
1967 Motobi 125 Imperiale Sport
1966 Honda CB160 F160 racer
1954 MV Agusta CSS175 Disco Volante
hulagun

Postby gedge » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:17 pm

Its the registration plate that got melted , the side casing on mine is fine even though the can sits very close.

Pic for you sorry its not very clear :(
Attachments
zorst.JPG
zorst.JPG (76.08 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
gedge

Postby gedge » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:19 pm

Close up of the link pipe. I will try to measure the diameter tomorrow and let you know. Is it just the connector diameter or the body of the can that you want .. dont worry I wil measure both :D
Attachments
linkpipe.JPG
linkpipe.JPG (49.26 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
gedge

Postby phlat65 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:52 pm

Hulagun, stock YZF450 can works really well, it is really loud though.
I think I have an extra one around, i will look for it, or just go to a Yamaha dealer, my local shop has given me 3 so far :D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby Whysub » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 am

Gedge-who made your link pipe for you? There are a few places close (ish) to me, but they want hugh amounts to do one (nearly as much as I paid for the complete can!).

I need to play about with lenghts and angles to get the pipe exactly where I want it-it sits about an inch too low for my ideal position. And when I fit the new rear guard and light, everything will be clear of the outlet, so no more melting.

Will also be able to fit a more "appropriately" sized number plate.

The most pleasing aspect is that it now looks, sounds and feels like a motard should. It's getting there, with minimal fuss, minimal expense, and no reliability worries.
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby hulagun » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:20 am

Phlat- thanks for the offer! :) I like free parts, but I don't want too loud.

I am looking at nice big aftermarket cans on ebay, which is why i asked Gedge to measure his (overall length and can OD). Gedge, BTW thanks for the pics, that is the shorter can? Looks the same at first!

I like the idea of a dual outlet can. Hmmm. Well, not many available here in US. I'm gonna try for a carbon can tho', or stainless (anything but polished aluminum... they tend to shake themselves apart and need polishing often). I live near the sea and my rims are bad enuff. Someday they are getting anodized.

2003 R1 stock "titanium" cans look good and go cheap on ebay but I suspect they are not really titanium, and may be too heavy and bulky. Anybody out there with an 03 R1 that can tell me the dimensions and weight of their stock muffler?
2001 MZ Black Panther
1978 Ducati 900SS cafe racer
1972 Triumph 500 flat track racer
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650
1967 Motobi 125 Imperiale Sport
1966 Honda CB160 F160 racer
1954 MV Agusta CSS175 Disco Volante
hulagun

Postby gedge » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:35 pm

Whysub wrote:Gedge-who made your link pipe for you? There are a few places close (ish) to me, but they want hugh amounts to do one (nearly as much as I paid for the complete can!).

I need to play about with lenghts and angles to get the pipe exactly where I want it-it sits about an inch too low for my ideal position. And when I fit the new rear guard and light, everything will be clear of the outlet, so no more melting.

Will also be able to fit a more "appropriately" sized number plate.

The most pleasing aspect is that it now looks, sounds and feels like a motard should. It's getting there, with minimal fuss, minimal expense, and no reliability worries.

I got it done by a friend called Geoff Muston he does stuff in his spare time. paid him £50 and for that he stripped it off , cut and welded the Carbon can link pipe and er-assembled it. He lives in Petersfield and I am fairly sure he would do another for the price. :D
gedge

Return to 660 cc