Baghira Gearing- what was stock and what are you running??

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Baghira Gearing- what was stock and what are you running

Postby Tigerboy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 pm

chisleu wrote:I'm no wanna-be anything and certainly not a "stunter". I just want to be able to pop more easy wheelies in 1st with my quiet (restrictive) muffler. I also don't like the 15/45 gearing that was on the bike, and with my 6'5" 320lb body (in gear) it's not enough torque to satisfy me through 3rd and 4th. This should help with 3rd and make 4th a more bearable acceleration gear for 55-70mph.

Well. That explains it. You're twice the size of me (I'm 5'9" and half your weight). The Baghira moves me with zip :smt026 and it's the perfect bike for my size. It's interesting you chose this bike. Usually guys that size want something like the BMW GS1200.

My other bike is a '99 Triumph Tiger 885. I rode it for quite a few years before getting the Baghira. But once I got the Baghira, I realize just how much easier it is to ride a bike sized to yourself. The Triumph Tiger, in many situations, was simply too much bike for me to handle (not to mention it's too heavy for me to pick up easily :smt005 , unlike the Baghira, which is easy 8)

chisleu wrote:I didn't count the links. This renthal o ring (~$75) chain is 120 link, but I can cut them off if there is too many. It isn't riveted (at least it isn't yet, but I don't think it is at all. I'm not breaking the seal and getting covered in that grease until I have to.)

If you have 7 more teeth on the rear sprocket, that tells me you'll need at least 10 more links, so 120 sounds about right.

chisleu wrote:Someone recommended being prepared to replace the pin on the output shaft of the tranny. I'm guessing it's a tractor pin like safety device to keep the nut from backing out during engine braking.

Yes, I wondered about that. I figure this must be a standard Yamaha part that I can get at my local shop.
Tigerboy

Postby chisleu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:02 am

Cool! I think my bike came with a 15/45, so this is a 5 tooth rear increase. I'm not sure how many links were stock though. I read 114 which may be the case, or not. Either way removing a few links is no chore.

Stupid sprockets are sitting in customs over the weekend. I hope it clears customs today.
chisleu

Postby edec » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Can we get the sprockets from the US?
Thanks, Ed
01 Baghira
01 Moto Guzzi California Jackal 1100
99 Ducati SS750
edec

Postby chisleu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm

edec wrote:Can we get the sprockets from the US?
Thanks, Ed

I think I was able to find them in the 45 but not the 47/etc. 2 week lead time from the off-the-road.de site (iirc) that I ordered from.

Mine are sitting in customs! :(
chisleu

Postby cat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 pm

The problem would be that these bikes were never sold in the USA - afaik.

Renthal sprockets http://www.renthal.com/
front: 342U-520-xx 14-16 tooth
(Yamaha XT 600 1987-2003, XTZ 660 1991-1998, SZR 660)
rear: 200U-520-xx 36-50 tooth
(Yamaha XT 600 1987-2003, XTZ 660 1991-1998, TTR 600 2004)

Other Yamahas, same sprockets:
front sprocket: Yamaha XT 600, XTZ 660, SZR 660, SRX 400.
rear sprocket : Yamaha XT 550, XT 600, XTZ 660, XV 250, XV 125.

And...

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L ... id=2532&p=

JT Sprockets Catalogue

Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere 3YF 1991 to 1995

Front Sprocket: JTF577
Rear Sprocket: JTR857

Front sprocket available in: 14, 15, 16 teeth
Rear sprocket available in: 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47 teeth

...So, google for a JT Sprockets importer in USA, get them to order it. (The JT Sprockets sites lists distributors in so many countries but no links.)
I did get a rear sprocket, so I'll check my old order information files. I think it must be a 47, unless i just wanted to get a spare 45. ......PS: It seems i got a 45 from denniskirk.com because the standard was 43.
cat

Postby edec » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:02 pm

cat-thank you very much for your information! When the time comes to replace, I'd like to try the 50 for fun.
Good Luck, Ed
01 Baghira
99 Ducati SS750
edec

Postby chisleu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 pm

I don't believe those renthal numbers are still (or maybe were ever) in production.

I got mine from germany, but with a ~3-4week estimated delivery to the USA.
chisleu

Postby cat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 am

Yes, I agree - I doubt it. Maybe looking at the Yamaha parts catalogs would be useful.
btw, 3 weeks+ is normal for me, to SA from the USA - unless it's USPS International Express. I got used to it years ago, no problem. The problem right now is the dollar and the euro have strengthened against my currency, it's like 25% more per dollar. And i want to buy stuff. :|

edec, thanks, you're welcome. How's the Jackal? :) I have a desire to have a Moto Guzzi, but so far i haven't found a good one here. (I don't want another project.)
cat

Postby chisleu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:25 am

I got my sprockets yesterday but my wife didn't bother to tell me until today! heh. Silly mail lady left it on the mailbox instead of taking it to our porch.

The quality is very nice, but this feels like a steel sprocket, not aluminum. I was told it is aluminum, but I preferred steel anyway.

Whatever the case may be (I don't have a magnet handy), I am very excited to get it installed today and put the new chain on to see how she is now. I have decided to go back to a straight through exhaust system (probably a magnaflow muffler, as I have had great success with them.)
chisleu

Postby chisleu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:38 pm

I have installed the sprockets (the stupid allen bolts on the stock sprocket were stripped....) New bolts and that part is better.

I installed the front (german torque, aka "good n tite")

We had to cut off ONE link to get the chain adjustment about in the center (probably going to be closer to the back as the chain breaks in.)

I had to go to the dealership to buy the chain link clamping tool so now it's too cold to work on the silly thing so it's sitting out overnight. So 119 links for the 50 or 120 or so for the 51 rear sprocket is about correct for my bike. I'm certain it was a 15/45 stock and may have been the Baghira Forest or something they put out in 1999 (mine is a 99 model) so that may explain the speedo being off some 22% or something. Maybe it used to have a taller front rim.

No big deal however I'm unsure how exactly to install this chain. The master link came in a bag with two of these little clip looking things. I have no idea what they are for. My only guess would be they go over the o rings so you don't crush the o rings when you use the chain link clamp tool. The instructions are 1 sentence so that is little help (no diagram what so ever.)

Going to hunt youtube and the like! If anyone has experience with renthal chains, any help would be appreciated! :)

Best I can tell those little things aren't used at all, and no idea what they are for.
chisleu

Postby chisleu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Oh my. 50 tooth rear is INSANE!!. It will loop on you if you crank it and you are not paying attention to your posture. Wheelies in 1st are easy as hell now which was the goal, and I think 2nd gear wheelies are possible.

One thing that sucks is it is morelike a 1/6 change in gearing. I used to make it to 60 in 3rd but now it's only about 50. It was perhaps too far to go, especially when the new exhaust gets here (straight through instead of turbo)

I would recommend a 47 tooth to anyone looking for more torque unless you plan to do some serious off-roading.
chisleu

Postby edec » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:51 am

chisleu-That 50 tooth sounds like a real good time!
cat-I LOVE my Guzzi and it's been perfectly reliable in the 10 years I've owned it!
Ed
01 Baghira
99 Ducati SS750
edec

Postby Tigerboy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks for the comprehensive list of sprocket serial numbers needed. This should be a sticky :-)

cat wrote:Front Sprocket: JTF577
Rear Sprocket: JTR857

Front sprocket available in: 14, 15, 16 teeth
Rear sprocket available in: 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47 teeth

I got my order from Bike Bandit and the front sprocket is part number JTF569 (with 15 teeth). Do you know if that will work? I'd hate to get into my repair job and then discover it won't.
Tigerboy

Postby cat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 am

I doubt it. I don't see how it could be right, because that JTF577 is for quite a few Yamahas - XT600's, XTZ660's, and some others - other than XT's and XTZ's. Try searching there - the JT site. They've made it even more difficult now, than it was when i first looked at it a few years ago.

I think it's not a sticky, but the thread's there somewhere, with an attached .zip file (Word doc or html in it, i can't remember.) ...I updated it a couple weeks ago but i think i didn't replace the attachment here. :?
Here: http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1370
Looks like i last updated it July 2010. :| I'll try to do it tonight. Very useful file.
PS: Done. (Latest version date 2011-11-02) MZ Baghira 660 - Tech Data, Specs, Parts
cat

Postby Tigerboy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks, that's a wonderful cheat sheet to have.

And I went to the JT Sprockets website and found the specs for the MZ Baghira easily enough. Right here:

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L ... id=4358&p=

So, it's JTF577 for the front. I guess I shouldn't chance it with JTF569 so I'm going to see if I can get this locally at a bike shop around here. I'm on the phone with Bike Bandit, and they don't have an easy way to order by part serial number (they do it by make and model and MZ Baghira is not in their system). After a while on customer service, they found it. But given how long it will take for such an order to reach me at this time of the year, I'll try the local bike shop and see if they have it, and they can easily order it. Always patronize your local bike shop when you can.
Tigerboy

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc