Brembo front master cylinder happiness.

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Brembo front master cylinder happiness.

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:07 am

I just put my Brembo front master cylinder on and am very happy. The 11mm is plenty of power when matched with the stock Grimeca caliper and the feel is amazing. Just do it! :D

Caliper is next but I'll be very satisfied until then.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Re: Brembo front master cylinder happiness.

Postby cat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 am

:) Which one did you get? Where, how much?
cat

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 am

I purchased mine from Motostrano but they dropped the ball many times. Don't order from them if you are in a hurry. The 11mm is no longer on their site for some reason but they have the 12 and 13. You will also need a pressure switch banjo bolt since this unit isn't compatible with the mechanical switch. $120 plus shipping

http://www.motostrano.com/Brembo-Master ... -1200x.htm
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby cat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 am

ah, ok, the low-end one - and that makes such a difference - good to know. The better ones are $350+ but i doubt that they would make any significant difference, that would be worth the cost.

I won't buy anything from motostrano, unless i really had no other option. I've seen enough negative reports over the years.

Come to think of it, i have a brake master cylinder, Shindy/Nissin, that i bought from denniskirk years ago for R100GS...i must check what size it is, maybe it would be good on the Baghira.
cat

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:16 pm

crap.
there's nothing low end about the PS pump.
It is available with integrated reservoir in 11, 12 , 13, and 16mm
and with separate reservoir in 12, 13 and 16.
Stein-Dinse is the german importeur:
http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Brembo/Hand-brake-cylinder:::19_110.html
http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Brembo/Hand-brake-cylinder:::19_110:2.html
the 11mm is a scooter pump but is also used on some motocross bikes.
the PS looks like this, can be black or gold with adjustable or fixed lever, polished or black
it has a screw against the pump piston to set the empty travel, i.e. the distance between the piston edge and bleed hole
I use a PS12 with separalte reservoir on my Skorpion and the stock PS13 on the SZR - yes the Brembo pump is stock as is the P4 caliper: Brembo belongs to Yamaha.
The PSC is available only in 16 (16 for dual rotors) and looks like this:
It has a "connecting rod" which is adjustable for the piston. The pump is more expensive because it is more complicated.

this radial pump:
is no more low end (or high) than the PS and PSC pumps. It is cast just like they are. Many mechanics and riders in the know prefer the old-fashioned pump. Radial pumps are not per se better, they don't work better but the chances that they are ruined by a fall are serveral magnitiudes higher than for an old-fashioned pump. they do offer the possiblilty of changing the ratio as well as being fine adjustable while riding - to the extent that there are remote adjusters for the left hand so adjust while in use.

THIS is high end:
billet forged, cnc milled
890$ going rate.

other make such things, too. Some are just as good but cheaper tho not cheap.

there is no reason for such things on road bikes or even for radial pumps at all. Any more that for radial calipers. They don't work better, either. their advantage is easy removal and the ability of adapting to various rotor diameters.
this is what you need:
in gold or silver, gold is cheaper. Found on a whole raft of bikes: Aprilias, Ducatis, Cagiva Mito, Yamahas like the SZR and some of the TZRs.
P4 30/34 r
it is cast.
and this is almost high end:

cnc milled but P30/34 just like the cast one, taking the same pads and having the same mounting details, costs 3 times as much.
here on the MZ works Skorpion:
9e1b_3.jpeg

or this one, real high end for the Superbike series:
P32/34 cnc milled, Price? don't ask.
Point is though, that there is a professional market for this as some want you to think old-fashioned part.

This one is cast:
P34/34
It has 4 separate small pads and above all the fixed bridge across the middle. Really good caliper for the money. Unfortunately with 65mm spacing it doesn't fit our fork. One could of course make an adapter.
compare to this:
this is the identical caliper as radial, same pads, same internal design. It works exactly the same, not better nor worse. It exist only to satisfy the wannabe market.

this one is high end, the sort of this used in MotoGP
It really is better, milled from a single piece, not bolted together, with titanium pistons etc etc.
$$? don't ask.

And this is a real alternative to Brembo that actually fits the 40mm pattern we have:
It is the same pattern as the cast P34/34 above, uses the same individual pads, has the fixed bridge but is cnc milled. It is really very good.
4-Kolben, 40 mm Aufnahme, Anbau rechts, harteloxiert, ohne Bremsbelag 130-07802-15 €349,00

"4 piston, 40mm pattern, right side, hard anodized, without pads, "
349 is the customer price.
I used this one on my racer, along with their smallest radial pump.
with a Brembo Racing cast iron rotor like I always use.

b
Bill Jurgenson

Return to 660 cc