Rear brake drags on Skorpion Tour

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Rear brake drags on Skorpion Tour

Postby icannonball » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:57 pm

Just thought I'd see if other Tour owners had this problem. I noticed that my rear brake pads had been reduced to near nothing in under a year of use. I don't really use them much, and the front pads have lots of life left in them. I 'm assuming that this is because the rear brake rotor isn't floating, so the pads are not retracting all the way and are slowly being worn even if I never touch the rear brake. I've heard that the SV650 is the same way.
Although it isn't enough to retard the turning of the rear wheel, the sound of the dragging pads is really annoying, especially since the bike is still pretty new. Anybody had, and defeated, this problem?
2002 Skorpion Tour - blue
icannonball

Postby BG » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:02 am

Yep sure did have that problem. Just bought the 2002 Skorpion with 3600 miles on it an noticed the rear brake start to drag an slow the bike down especially after it got hot from riding. Even though I don't put much pressure on the rear.
The brake pedal had a lot of travel and was spongy feeling. I bleed the system an replaced with new fluid. Also adjusted the free play in the brake rod to make sure it was releasing the brake piston completly.
It's fine now. The pedal is hard (not spongy) an stops the bike much better.
I think that the brake pistons in the master cylinder and caliper can get sticky from lack of use. Systems need to be flushed with fresh fluid at least every 2 years. You wouldn't believe how nasty brown/rusty looking that old (2 year) fluid was.
Take care, BG

P.S. That rear brake is about 30% of your stopping power. So it's a good idea to be in the habit of using it, so if and when an emergency stop happens, your foot will do it's thing automatically.
BG

Postby icannonball » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:49 am

Hey BG, thanks for the input. I've done that stuff as well. You are right that what is happening is that the pistons are not fully retracting. Even when clean, fully adjusted, and with fresh brake fluid, the rear brake pads have a very slight drag that doesn't slow the bike down at all, but wears the pads down pretty quickly.
Also, my experience has been that overreliance on the rear brake in an emergency situation is a natural but dangerous reaction. Its better to be in the practice of squeezing the front brake hard than stomping on the rear and locking it up, which is pretty easy to do.
2002 Skorpion Tour - blue
icannonball

Rear brake dragging

Postby BG » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:10 pm

Here's an artical pulled off the USA Mz site. Other good info. an reading if you haven't seen it yet.
He doesn't explain what caused the problem though. I'm told that poor quality brake fluid will get hot and cause the pressure build up and dragging problem. DOT#4 fluid is whats's called for. Also if the rear wheel isn't aligned properly the disc will not run straight in the caliper.

Check out the link. BG

http://www.geocities.com/kurkjl/
BG

rear brake

Postby Nobog » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:31 pm

BG, I believe the rear brake is aligned with the axle - I don't think you can "un-align-it". No I never found the exact cause, just replaced parts although I have not had a problem after replacing the master cyl. Jim
Nobog

Return to 660 cc