Skorpion substitute part database- please add!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Skorpion substitute part database- please add!

Postby toledo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Will this work to replace the thermo switch to turn the fans on? also any leads on replacement fans? This is for a 96 Skorpion Sport.

http://www.plenternz.com/product_info.p ... 48g461vb56

Cheers
toledo

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:07 pm

I've looked pretty hard for a bolt in replacement for the cooling fans. So far, no luck.
I'd think this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPAL-4-Paddle-B ... 46&vxp=mtr
appears to be good quality. A guy could band saw off the mounting ears on the old fan and epoxy them to this one.. at least that's what I'm going to do if I don't find any suitable donors at the Japanese bike wrecking yard in Indy.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby toledo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:40 pm

What about something bigger and have it mounted on the front face of the radiator? Like a pair of 7" or a single 12"?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =928641012
toledo

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:36 am

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't foul the front fender at full suspension travel. You *wouldn't* want that to happen.. :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby toledo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Found a good 7" replacement that pretty much fits straight on the front. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-auto-radiator-fan-auto-cooling-fan-radiator-fan-for-car-tuning-high-performance-F037/868924991.html

Had a quick fitment check last night and it looks perfect, Runs well moving heaps more air than the little 4" ones would have!

Quick question around the temp switch to turn them on, Will it handle 4.5amp draw through it? or will I need to run it through a relay? is there a way to test that the switch is working properly? I suspect it is dead but want to test it to be sure. So far in my ownership neither the temp light on the dash or the fans have turned on so im a bit cautious that something is wrong in there somewhere...
toledo

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:56 pm

" is there a way to test that the switch is working properly?"
Sure. Take it out and stick it in some boiling water. It should go from open to closed.
I take it that fan you are showing is a pusher? You've checked fender clearance with the suspension fully compressed?
I have a couple of 4 inch pullers that I'll modify to bolt on tomorrow. (With any luck at all) :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:56 am

Chuck in Indiana wrote:I've looked pretty hard for a bolt in replacement for the cooling fans. So far, no luck.
I'd think this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPAL-4-Paddle-B ... 46&vxp=mtr
appears to be good quality. A guy could band saw off the mounting ears on the old fan and epoxy them to this one.. at least that's what I'm going to do if I don't find any suitable donors at the Japanese bike wrecking yard in Indy.

Ok, here's how I did it.
Find some suitable junk steel, lay out the hole locations, drill them, and bolt it to the old fan.
Saw the mounting ears off. The steel fixture will keep the mount holes in the right location. Fit them up to the new fan with a die grinder, Dremel, whatever you have. Find a clamp to hold everything in assembly while the epoxy is curing. This one may be a little overkill, but it's what I found. :D
Gotcha some waxed paper? Wouldn't want to epoxy this to the bench. :lol: Apply a generous bead of epoxy to the mount ears and fan. Wiggle it around a little. Set it on the wax paper, and clamp it gently.
Be patient.
Here we go, a bolt on replacement that is sealed. Water and dust proof. These should actually work instead of the crap OEM fans..
After the epoxy fully cures, remove the drill fixture, sand and add a generous fillet of epoxy all around if necessary.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby toledo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Very thorough instructions, Thanks!

Those fans seem a bit expensive vs the 7" one so ill give the 7" one a go first and see if it works well enough/doesn't look too ugly...! Will post some pics once done.

Cheers!
toledo

Postby toledo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:26 am

Will be finishing off my install tomorrow but have one last question... I read that the current draw of your 2 little fans is 1.9amp each with a 4amp kick off, does the stock thermo switch handle that load ok? Mine will be fairly similar by the looks.

Cheers
toledo

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 am

Dunno. I let it sit idling for 15 minutes, and the fans never came on. The temp never got above 198 F, according to my pyrometer. <shrug>
Chuck in Indiana

Postby toledo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 am

Got it all done in a few hours yesterday (including sorting a few other issues...)

The 7" fan that I purchased was very easy to get and quite cheap at $30 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ryanstar-Store-High-quality-7-inch-12V-electric-cooling-radiator-fan-kit-for-universal-car/32425419024.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.i2JVJI

This fan fits on the front side of the radiator without any modification (other than flipping the blade over) and does not foul the front fender at all, It was as simple as taking the old fans off, sitting this one in place with 4 small bits of sticky foam so it wasn't rubbing and then holding it in place with 4 cable ties. I tidied the wiring up a bit because I like my bikes tidy and the less wiring clutter the better! its a simple matter of wiring the negative of the fan to the thermo switch terminal and the positive to the brown ground wire and then getting rid of the 2 old connectors. The reversed polarity is so the fan pushes the air in the right direction - This also means flipping the blade over which is as easy as undoing the bolt on the front and putting it back on in reverse.

I tested the thermo switch out just to be sure it would fire up when i needed it to by having it connected to my multi meter and dipping it in boiling water to watch it switch, The temp on these must be fairly high as it wouldn't switch until the water was boiling violently but it worked 100% reliably so I wasn't too worried.

Once all together I let it idle for around 14 mins and the fan came on as expected and cooled it down enough for the fan to shut off in about 30 seconds so im happy with that. Got the chance to road test it on the way to work this morning and after a 30 min hardish ride it still took 8 mins of idle before the fan came on so it cant be obstructing air flow by much.

The only outstanding question I have on this now is the sensor for the high temp light? I didn't take the switch out of the radiator to test in boiling water like I did for the fan switch but I did test the wiring and lamp by shorting it out and they work but the light doesn't come on when the fan does. It this set to a higher temp? Has anyone seen the temp light come up on their dash before?

Hope this can be helpful for someone else out there!
Attachments
20150831_082444.jpg
20150830_141448.jpg
20150830_141154.jpg
toledo

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 am

I hate to be the party pooper but your mounting system for the fan down right dangerous. Zip tying your fan to the radiator core is probably one of the worst ideas I've seen in a while. You can buy some aluminum plate that is thin enough to work without a metal shop and make some real fan mounts. Use a drill bit to make your radii and a hacksaw to make the straight lines, bend where necessary and voila! Custom radiator fan mounts. :wink:
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby toledo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:02 pm

I thought that at first too, but it weighs less than a kg, doesn't flow enough to pull its self off and the zip ties are rated at a much higher temp that they will ever be exposed to there. The fan comes with a push through type zip connector which I didn't quite trust so I convinced myself to give zip ties a go. The only thing i'm worried about is it damaging the radiator core but it doesn't seem to be at all so far.

Convince me otherwise and i will make up some custom mounts....
toledo

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:01 am

I won't try to convince you. I'll just leave you with the fact that you are riding a big single cylinder and vibration is a much more powerful force than most people think it is. If you aren't inspecting the zip ties and the point where the cooling fins are soldered to the water pathways constantly, you are gambling with the possibility of that fan ending up under your back tire on a corner or at some other inopportune time. Vibration and chafing would be my biggest concern, not temp.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby tigcraft » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:13 am

PLEASE NOTE AND SORRY TO ROCK THE BOAT

As I'm the original poster of this thread Ive got to say this thread is being over used on the wrong matters ie how to fit, do and general chat of no connection.
To keep things simple can we just work with like for like parts or as near as possible as its just painfull searching through someone else's personal non connected chit chat to get to where needed.

I hope people still find this thread of use.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc