mounting Keihin FCR Carbs on the Baghira

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

mounting Keihin FCR Carbs on the Baghira

Postby DEmark » Tue May 10, 2005 8:51 pm

I installed the 35x35mm flatslides that I had on my Skorpion onto the Baghira a couple of months back and I thought I would share with the group how it went. It was considerablely more difficult than installing them on the Skorpion. The first problem is that the center to center of the bores is about .120" greater on the Keihins. I solved this the same way I did when installing these carbs on the Skorpion, by egging the holes on each inlet manifold with a 6mm round file. Naturally, now I have some misalignment with the head, but perhaps I can correct that later when I have the motor apart for something.

The next problem I encountered was that the gastank interfered with the bracket for the throttle cable bigtime. This was solved by grinding the two rivits out that hold the bracket and rotating the bracket down and using some of the other holes provided. I reattached it with bolts rather than rivits.
The next problem was with the throttle bracket in the new location the cable interfered with the 90 degree coolant ell sticking out of the head. I fabricated a new ell with the bracket in a slightly different spot so the ell was now rolled inboard a bit and out of the way of the cable. It took a couple of hours with the lathe and tig welder (I work in a machine shop).

The next problem was the 10mm oil line nipple sticking out of the bottom of the frame interfered with the top of the carbs,. I solved this by cutting a good half inch off it with a hacksaw.

To utilize the stock airbox, I used two right side (I think?) carb to airbox booties. Instead of having a small and a large carb I now have two large carbs so I used two large booties rather than a small and a large. I hope that's clear, technical writing is not my forte <g>. Anyhow, I had to enlarge the left side, small hole in the airbox to accommadate the larger right side bootie. This meant removing the airbox (I wish I had took a picture of this) and grinding the hole larger with a Dremel tool. This actually worked pretty good, I used a coarse sanding barrel set on low speed and went round and round fast creating a uniform hole. Removing the airbox was tough. I had to remove the rearwheel, exhaust can, shock, lower subframe bolts, and other stuff. I left the top frame bolt in and swiveled the subframe up and tied it off to an overhead beam, then pulled the airbox out.

I think that is about it. One tip for removing the carbs on the baghira or the skorpion. Remove the filter first, take the four hoseclamps off, reach in the airbox and collapse the bootie and pull it into the airbox. This is the best way to attack it.

How did it run? That's a story for another nite.....

The accelerator pump on the right carb touches the exhaust, I don't like this, but I don't see many good solutions. I have put about 2000 miles on it and have not had any problems.
Attachments
DSC01440.JPG
DSC01440.JPG (58.48 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
DSC01438.JPG
DSC01438.JPG (61.56 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
DSC00015.JPG
DSC00015.JPG (59.15 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
DEmark

Return to 660 cc