Warranty Issues

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Warranty Issues

Postby Blathian » Tue May 31, 2005 3:02 pm

i just bought a 2005 baghira, love all the mods but doenst it ruin my warranty?? id love a new pipe, is it worth losing the warranty??
Blathian

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue May 31, 2005 4:50 pm

what warranty its over 400 miles one way
to a dealer from my house
i cant stand 800 mile trips to watch some guy work on my
rt125 that's never seen one before
i just fix it and go on
ar dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby AtomicSpew » Tue May 31, 2005 6:24 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Enduro model, and have the same question. For those of us fortunate enough to have a dealer close by, does doing any mods void the warranty? Guess I could just ask the dealer, but if anybody knows, please share info
AtomicSpew

Postby phlat65 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:59 pm

the dealer that I bought mine from sold and installed the M4 pipe, and re-jetted the bikes.
I had a carb issue with mine, it stopped idling, I had a homemade head pipe/YZF450 pipe on it at the time, and they repaired the carb under warranty. it really depends on the dealer and the warranty inspector. ask your dealer..
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

dealer not an issue

Postby Blathian » Tue May 31, 2005 9:27 pm

yeah im lucky , my dealer is right next to my shop! ( i own a screenprinting business) so lots of love there. They told me today , new pipe kills warranty. Plus im not the handiest guy with a wrench, so important to me for now. But he said i can mod any of the normal stuff just no engine. ect. : (
its a 2 year warranty unlimited miles by the way...very nice
Blathian

Postby AtomicSpew » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:09 am

Blathian-
Sounds like it could be a dealer-specific issue, based on what others have posted here. Who's your dealer? Are you in SF? I don't own an MZ yet (YET!), but I wonder if carb re-jetting is acceptable? What if you found a bolt-on can that you could replace back to stock if you ever needed warranty work? One of the big appeals to me of the MZ is the 2-year warranty...but it could be a deal breaker if I can't make any performance-based mods. Come 'on! We ride fer Chrissake...anybody here NOT have the bug to tinker?? :-D

Atomic
AtomicSpew

Postby Blathian » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:29 am

Im in San Luis Obispo area, and im pretty sure rejetting kills warranty too. They were going to call and find out for me EXACTLY what i can and cannot change. They made it sound like anything that effects the motors initial setup. I did pull the carbon canistor off last night, couldnt take it anymore!!
Ill try to find out more today
Blathian

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:05 pm

save all that smog gear you may have to put it back on to
pass yearly inspections
in the near future
ar dave :-D
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:06 pm

remove this it was a dupe of the above messg
Last edited by DAVID THOMPSON on Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby cdfisher » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:22 pm

Good people...

It really does matter what your dealer will allow. For instance, we have nothing against anyone doing their own work, including rejetting, but if the bike is brought in with a hole in the piston shortly thereafter, well, we might have as we say in the business, "a warranty situation".

What we go by is communication and advice. If the customer communicates with us, we will allow a certain amount of mods to take place as long as our advice is followed. If you rejet, bring it in for a dyno run afterwards to verify its not too lean. If you want to pull all the smog stuff off and it runs like crap afterwards, then you may have to pay us to make it run correctly without it. For most dealers, it comes down to this: Don't surprise us. Ask about what you want to do, and disclose everything, then you'll know where you stand.

We cover all our used bike sales with a 6 month nose-to-tail warranty. It's better than a factory warranty. The catch is you must have your service performed at our shop if you want us to honor it. If you want to perform your own oil changes and such, then you must buy the materials from us and we will still honor the warranty. Adjust your own valves? Nope... we won't cover a burnt valve after that one.

So far, our policies have worked well for us, with a few exceptions. Our customers expect us to stick by our values and customer service ethics, no matter if we're going to take one in the shorts or not. It's part of the risk of being in business, and you have to hold up your end of a bargin.

We have high standards at MAPSP, and keeping an open line of communication with our customers is one of our highest priorities. Try to establish good will between you and your dealer. If her/his organization does not respond in-kind, then find a new one. There are too many good shops out there to waste your limited time and money on the wrong one.

Thanks for reading...
Curtis Fisher
President
MidAmerica PowerSports Plus
http://www.mapsp.com
cdfisher
MZ Dealer

Postby phlat65 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:01 am

so when are you opening up your seattle area branch?
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby Blathian » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:18 am

so how can a manufacturer warranty be dealer specific? its not the dealer warranting the bike its MZ. Im still waiting to get a answer from the MZ rep on what changes can be made ect.
Blathian

Postby cdfisher » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:09 am

We're not talking about dealer specific warranties, but about warranty claims that are the fault of the rider/owner because some modification is attributed to a failure. For instance: You change your own oil and do your own maintenance so after buying the bike from your dealer you ask him/her that you don't want to affect the warranty, but can you perform your own maintenance? We say yes, but buy the oil and filter from us so we know the bike is getting the proper care and feeding. But don't show up 18 months later after never having communicated once with us, with a bike that has sludge in it and the obvious wear and tear from no maintenance, then want us to do a top-end job because "This thing doesn't run right any longer".

Can I adjust my own valves, you ask? The answer is yes you can, it is after all, a free country :-) . However, we will tell you it's not a good idea, because no matter how good a Honda mechanic you were in your other life, if there is a burnt valve to evaluate after the home adjustment, you will pay for it. Also, if you don't tell us you adjusted them, and bring it in trying to pull one over on us, we will know :( (we have our ways).

The truth is that as a dealer, we submit the warranty claim. Therefore we control the information the Manufacturer evaluates. I'm not saying that dealers should lie about warranty claims, but we're talking about jetting here. If the bike is jetted correctly then what is the problem with covering the warranty? The same logic can be applied to many other repairs that could be in areas that a rider modified. Say, if an aftermarket carb is substituted by the owner with our knowledge and we okay the jetting; and ring breaks while running at 80 MPH? It ought to be covered and we will fight for the customer if the manufacturer rejects the claim.

However, if you (the rider), send your motor off to the latest techno-wiz guy your internet pals say is making the most horsepower, have it super-sized, new cam, rev-limiter and so on and so forth, you have now produced a race motor and sorry, we will not submit a warranty claim on your behalf.

So no matter what the fine print says, it's not so cut and dry in the real world. If you have a dealer who lives by the fine print, that is his or her choice, we choose to work with our customers and help them enjoy their MZ products without having to look over their shoulders if they want more performance.
Curtis Fisher
President
MidAmerica PowerSports Plus
http://www.mapsp.com
cdfisher
MZ Dealer

Return to 660 cc