Scorpian Sport - First impressions....

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Scorpian Sport - First impressions....

Postby Dave-the-rave » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 am

So I took my Girlfriends newly acquired Skorpion out for a spin, just to get a feel for it before giving it a service and a good going over.

It's a 1994 with 40 000 miles on it. The tach is drunk, the speedo might be way out, not sure yet but the bike is in pretty decent shape. There's some cracks on the plastics and it's had a rattle can paint job but I'd say it's a good bike at the buying price. The motor and clutch sound sweet to me.

My first impressions are obviously going to be seriously affected by the fact that I'm riding a cruiser which is heavy, low and seriously hampered by bad suspension.

All I can say is...wow. I love it. It's light, nimble, slim and frisky. The whole package feels tight and light, I'm used to sitting IN a bike and the Sport is a sitting ON or rather sitting ALONG the top of the bike so it felt pretty weird. Roads I's take at 50 were done at 70-75 with ease and I was taking it easy. :D . I really had to work at slowing down as the bike feels like it wants to be pushed on.

I was expecting a bit more poke at the bottom end somehow, dunno why as I've never ridden a big single before. Pre servicing, I'd say it's power is good from mid range up. The motor certainly likes to be revved more than I was expecting, although I wasn't thrashing it. The crazy tach confused me for a bit until I just ignored it.

All In all I really like the bike and I know the missus will too. She likes different and quirky which is is. It's a real grin maker with character and a bit of a hooligan bike. I'm looking forward to feeling the benefit after a good service and cleaning up the wiring connections. I've got a louder can to fit too. That stock can must be the quietest can in the world. I couldn't hear ANY exhaust note at all on the move. I mean NOTHING. On the plus side it allowed me to really hear the engine which sounds sweet to me although I'm a stranger to these engines. It's certainly quieter than my v twin XV750 engine.

One question if I may...Clutch adjustment. There doesn't seem to be a traditional clutch adjuster in the sense of lock nut-grub screw-soft seat then- out 1/4 turn- type of thing. Is the only available adjustment on the cable where it enters the clutch cover?
His - 1995 Yamaha XV750, 21 000 miles.
Hers - 1994 MZ Scorpion Sport - 40 000 miles.
Dave-the-rave

Re: Scorpian Sport - First impressions....

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 am

Welcome. Everyone seems to be surprised by the quality and ride of these bikes. If you've got the stock ignition box, don't worry about rpms. It shuts down at just over 7k and this engine can do that all day long. The stock pipe is quiet but the guru around here says that it is as good as anything out there for power until you start doing some major race engine type work. I switched mine out because I like to hear the thump and the stock unit is very heavy, but if you are solely concerned with touring performance, keep it. There should be a clutch cable perch on your stock lever. If not, aftermarket levers and perches shouldn't be too hard to make work. Or you could do your girlfriend a big favor and install a Magura hydro clutch. :wink:
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 am

change the clutch perch to one with an adjuster and enjoy the fact that you can now find levers to fit it

the stock levers on mine are not sold in USA what a pain

the clutch cable can use a Yamaha number but i do not remember what it is

i used odds and ends of clutch cable fitting from my junk box and made one from a rotax powered MZ fit
but need to change it as its the only spare i have for the saxon tour

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Dave-the-rave » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks guys. I can adjust the cable but I don't see anywhere to adjust the actual clutch at the clutch itself. Any bikes I've owned have a cover behind which is the cable going onto an arm connected to a push rod. Clutch adjustment by undoing a lock nut and turning the inner screw into a soft seat then back out usually a 1/4 turn.

On this bike all I see is the cable going onto an external arm which goes into the cover. A parts schematic shows no sign of an adjuster behind the cover so I'm guessing there's no adjustment possible, other than at the cable. Have I got that right?
Dave-the-rave

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I haven't had to adjust the clutches on any of my bikes anywhere other than at the perch.

The Ninja EX500 clutch cables from Motion Pro work on the Skorpion.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Dave-the-rave » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:02 pm

edfmaniac wrote:I'm not sure what you are talking about. I haven't had to adjust the clutches on any of my bikes anywhere other than at the perch.

The Ninja EX500 clutch cables from Motion Pro work on the Skorpion.

Thanks for that cable info. You've never adjusted a clutch like this before?....

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608041384922777731&pid=15.1
Dave-the-rave

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:05 pm

No. What's does that adjust?
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Found it. I hadn't seen the type of clutch you speak of before but it's mentioned in this little tutorial. http://blip.tv/thejunkman/how-to-motorc ... nt-5884640
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Srinath » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 am

The skorpion has a nice engine and nice frame and high quality suspension, wheels and so on.
However the extraneous items, like this adjuster, the body hardware and what not leave a lot to be desired.
The bolts without flanges, the lack of adjusters on brake and clutch levers etc etc etc ... One day I will take the entire thing apart and replace every one of these things I keep telling myself ...
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby therealche » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Srinath wrote: One day I will take the entire thing apart and replace every one of these things I keep telling myself ...

Srinath.

And on that day, you will look outside and decide to go for a ride instead!
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby Dave-the-rave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Yeah I've noticed some oddities like the rear axle had no adjustment marks or hole for a split pin. I think there were adjustment marks originaly but the PO had the swinging arm powder coated and now there's nowt.

Anyway new tyres tomorrow and some parts in the post. I put a louder can on it today which came with the bike. Now it sounds like a single. :D :D :D
Dave-the-rave

Postby Srinath » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:06 am

therealche wrote:
Srinath wrote: One day I will take the entire thing apart and replace every one of these things I keep telling myself ...

Srinath.

And on that day, you will look outside and decide to go for a ride instead!

I am a commuter, I never go for a ride ... I ride to work ... sad. But yea.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby tigcraft » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Any pics on the bike??? Go on and push the boat out. We'd like to see
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby Dave-the-rave » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 pm

tigcraft wrote:Any pics on the bike??? Go on and push the boat out. We'd like to see

I'll get some pics up soon. At the moment it's tankless and plastic less.

One question though regarding the coolant expansion tank...The Users handbook says there should be min - max marks on the tank but I've got a crook in my neck from looking at the thing. I'm seeing nothing. I read some where there should be around 1 1/2 liters in it but can anyone enlighten me regarding level marks?

Next question regarding checking oil level...The dip stick should be screwed in fully not just resting on the lip before removing and reading the level? Other than that I know the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

What the hell goes on with that fuel tank? I mean that's a seriously over thought design eh. Is it possible the tank was designed to like a stress member, offering added stability to the frame? I mean all those mounting points just aren't necessary. Does anybody just leave the tank unbolted at the rear end or is that a bad idea?
Dave-the-rave

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm

the bolts that go into the plastic of the tank at the rear
DO not try to remove them they may come out or they may twist and then you have a tank mounting
problem
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Next

Return to 660 cc