gear lever availibility

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: gear lever availibility

Postby duncmac » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 am

Hi Rodge

How longs the lever? And hows it compare to the stock item.

Been looking on ebay for something similar, wondering if its worth getting one in ahead of time and "preserving" the original.

Also wondering how much it would cost to mill/copy the lever out of something stronger....
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
CBR 600 FY 2002 - Tri colour
Vespa T5 172 Malossi - Old English White
duncmac

Postby duncmac » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am

MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
CBR 600 FY 2002 - Tri colour
Vespa T5 172 Malossi - Old English White
duncmac

Postby den » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:07 am

rodge70 wrote:hi martin,yep all works ticketyboo,could doing with being 1" shorter, that would bring it roughly the same as the original one,also needs to come out a bit if i'm honest but other than that works fine,may even not bother sourcing a new one,though will need to sort something out for the maico/x7 project should it see the light of day :roll: :roll: :roll:

two of my favourite bikes there mate ,owned them both at one stage in my life,,OMG, i soo wish i still had them ,
your hybrid looks awesome ,, love the look so much, swap you my wife , two kids and a west life cd for it :oops:
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby rodge70 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:29 am

" west life cd for it"
it was all going well till then :wink:
yep i took one look at it on ebay and that was it,sadly though it has lost most of the original maico running gear as to much hassle shifting the brake over to the otherside along with the poor brake performance of the front too but on the plus side all the bits i sold i made a very good profit :D which more than covered the replacement bits,usd forks,xr wheels,dt rear swingarm and x7 frame to make a better job of the hacked about frame that i bought,the guy i bought it from was a little bit more vague about what needed to be done to say the least,but there you go,men and machines :roll:

as for gear lever on the baghira,yep the one i fitted works fine and i did find a kawasaki one very close to the one above in work but left my old lever at home that day so will take it in on monday and see how they both compare,but must admit that the direct fitting is a lot less sloppy than the original with the linkages.
rodge70

Postby rodge70 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:12 am

bit of an update,after much pissing around with lots of levers and things,had the old lever welded up and braced :

may stash the one i have fitted on the bike somewhere as back up,may not be so close to home should it break again,though i think the main reason for it breaking was the abuse off road and me levering it back into position :roll:
rodge70

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:14 am

Hi Rog.

I thought you were happy with your linkless gear lever setup. why the return?
I did wonder whether off road knocks had contributed to the demise of the original.
breakwellmz

Postby rodge70 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:00 am

hi martin,not completely returned to original as it has been welded up but sat on workbench ready for fitting :lol:
the choices were, not do anything which meant i may as well chuck broken lever in bin but as ally welding work was being done to maico my mate did the gear lever too,probably sit on bench for ages till i lose the bloody thing i expect :roll:
rodge70

Postby breakwellmz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:50 am

Hi

That makes sense, i`ll let you off this time. :wink:
breakwellmz

Postby Guesi » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:06 am

Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby den » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Guesi wrote:Hello

I have one of them in stock.
https://www.guesi-motorradteile.de/inde ... 74b8823/?_

OMG , 62 euros,,dont do us any favours will you , capitalist,,i have a spare for £35 if anyones desperate
den

Postby Guesi » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Surely I am capitalist. I live in a capitalistic country and earn my living by selling MZ parts.
The price is from the MZ price list (from the time when MuZ could deliver this part).
After the rules of capitalism, I have to rise the price now that MuZ cannot deliver this part.
So maybe I am not a good capitalist, as I don´t rise the price....
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby den » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:43 am

Guesi wrote:Surely I am capitalist. I live in a capitalistic country and earn my living by selling MZ parts.
The price is from the MZ price list (from the time when MuZ could deliver this part).
After the rules of capitalism, I have to rise the price now that MuZ cannot deliver this part.
So maybe I am not a good capitalist, as I don´t rise the price....

Well at least you honest , so you here to prey on the desperate who need to source parts,This is a community forum , were all brothers and sisters here,,Its a mates rates thing,Most things sold here are sold cheap to fulfill the community spirit,not prey on the desperate with ridiculous prices.
den

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:57 pm

DID WE ALL FORGET THE AMOUNT ADDED FOR VAT usually at least 15 to 20 present
and then the DHL shipping

OR HAVE YOU ORDERED A PART FOR A 1950'S OR 60'S BMW in the past couple years
N L A is often heard with an offer of a nasty looking used part

or a barrel and piston set for a 2013 KTM Trail bike ouch

the only really tight in the pocket book people i have met
are bikers and ham radio guys

soap box is now back under the work bench
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby seattleMZ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Not a lot of activity about shifters , so I'm adding my 2 cents.

After 9 years I decided to start riding to work on my MZ again. (Bad t-bone accident back in 2008 on my Aprilia made me rethink my priorities)

I've been working on my Baghira off and on over the last 6 years. Rebuilt the top-end, replaced banged-up parts (ebaying in Germany).

Yesterday on the way to my job the shift lever broke off. This was bound to happen since it's been welded once before. Luckily I was in 2nd and the bike has taller gearing than stock so I wasn't completely screwed.

I had to build a make shift lever last night by heating and bending some aluminum flat bar I had lying around(see PIC).

Now the hunt is on for a replacement...no luck! Apparently OEM levers are unavailable.

I searched several threads about alternatives but the information was never conclusive. Several people posted ideas, but those levers would never work due to frame interference(don't waste your time). The stock lever has a Z-bend for a reason moat other bikes use a more modern frame design that removes the lower frame tubes by using the motor its self as the bottom torsion support. That's why most of the levers are straight or just slightly turned out.

If there is anyone who has successfully fitted an alternative lever to a Baghira please share exactly what you used and the exact mods needed if any.

Thanks,

Michael
Attachments
20170719_110644.jpg
seattleMZ

Postby breakwellmz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Don`t plan any long trips! :lol:
breakwellmz

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc