Skorpion sport cup rebuild

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Skorpion sport cup rebuild

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Granted, we have our opinions. :D But I think .5mm is quite expected between the expansion from room temperature to full operating temperature and the extreme forces created when the piston reverses directions 8k times per minute. And I checked piston rock on mine before assembly. With the cylinder bored to piston manufacturers specs, there was definitely room for the piston to rock .5 out at the edge.

Then again, the aluminum cylinder may expand more than the rod, increasing the squish band at full temp. Haven't really looked into that.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby twinlinemoto » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Hey again!

The rebuild has been tedious, but I am almost finished! My head to piston clearance is 0.7mm, piston to valve clearance is the same. Unfortunately, I noticed I am getting a case of coil bind on the intake valve springs at max lift. I backed off the adjusters and checked how much clearance I need and its about 3mm! It appears this motor no longer has the valve springs I know it used to. Any recommendations?
twinlinemoto

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:22 pm

mixed up parts boxes maybe
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby twinlinemoto » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 am

Well, I finally got it going last week!
I Installed the motor, upgraded the brakes to brembo master cylinders and calipers, new tires and chain, new turn signals. I did 2 heat cycles on the motor and checked for leaks, then went straight to the dyno for testing! It did pretty well, though I was hoping for a bit more. Next time I will certainly lighten the crankshaft. Below is a picture of my two dyno runs. The short run is with the stock cdi box (7200 rev limit), the long one is with the ignitech sparker box using Bill J's mild advance curve with a 9k rev limit. It made just a little less power, but the curve is much smoother and less violent on the piston!
After I knew it was solid, I took it for a "spirited" 200 mile ride in the mountains with some friends. The bike handles better than I remembered, the new tires and brakes are awesome! I had a fun and well matched race with a suzuki SV650 and a Ducati pantah 650.
twinlinemoto

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:53 pm

That's respectable. Glad to hear you were successful. Now swap those wheels out and you'll be pulling further away from those riding partners in every corner. It's one of the biggest performance improvements you can do besides engine work. Better acceleration, better braking and less gryo effect when whipping the bike around in tight corners. Then again, if you don't have a lathe, making the wheel spacers and axle parts for different wheels can get stupid expensive.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby twinlinemoto » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Haha thanks edfmaniac! I was faster than both of those bikes, but had trouble with a ZRX1100, haha. I could line up every corner I wanted, but he had the grunt to pull away from me just as I could get a wheel in front of him!
My headache now is getting the accelerator pump dialed in and the oil tank to stop leaking. I do have a lathe, but I am out of money and have 2 other bike projects in the works, so the wheels will have to wait. What models exactly and I looking to use the wheels from? SZR only?
twinlinemoto

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:13 pm

I can only speak about the SZR swap since that's all I have experience with, but I think you can fit KTM 690SMC wheels. I've seen some Marchesini's on a Skorpion.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby dandywarhol » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:59 am

twinlinemoto wrote:Hey again!

The rebuild has been tedious, but I am almost finished! My head to piston clearance is 0.7mm, piston to valve clearance is the same. Unfortunately, I noticed I am getting a case of coil bind on the intake valve springs at max lift. I backed off the adjusters and checked how much clearance I need and its about 3mm! It appears this motor no longer has the valve springs I know it used to. Any recommendations?

Good to hear you have it running, I'm just starting to build a 105mm oversize engine with stock stroke and a Carillo rod and a Hotcam Stage 3.
How did you sort your valve spring bind problem? Did you have to modify/shorten the centre intake guide for the X2 cam?

Cheers :D
Whale oil beef hooked
dandywarhol

Postby silver » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:20 am

I recently fitted Aprilia RS125 wheels for a saving of 4.5kg. I have also fitted ZX6R forks for full adjustability. Just a bit fiddly with the spacers, but I kept the speedo drive hub. Had to turn the back wheel, but getting good chain run wasn't too difficult.
All the best, Dave.
PS the Aprilia wheels are same size as originals. Also made by Grimeca.
06 BMW F800s
02 Ducati 749S
88 XBR500 Café Racer
99 MZ Scorpion Sport project
silver

Previous

Return to 660 cc