Skorpion tour project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion tour project

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi all,
I just brought this project bike home today, and fixed the first thing.. a stuck gas cap. I'm going to go through it, get it running, fix whatever needs fixing, etc. If anyone is interested, I'll document it here..

Picture on the way home.
Chuck in Indiana

Re: Skorpion tour project

Postby tigcraft » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:53 pm

It's a nice feeling when a new project starts and it comes together. Get some pics posted as we all enjoy them. Eric
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:03 am

tigcraft wrote:It's a nice feeling when a new project starts and it comes together. Get some pics posted as we all enjoy them. Eric

Sorry, I didn't see any interest here, so I just went ahead with it. :D It takes a *lot* longer to document something than doing it. It'll be running this week, with any luck at all..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Dicer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Chuck,
Too bad I missed your earlier post because I would have been very interested in anything you had to do to your Skorpion to get it running. Coincidentally, I bought my own Skorpion Tour the same day you did. The PO delivered it down here from Georgia on Feb 15th. Looks like we have somewhat better motorcycling weather here at the moment.

Clive in Central Florida
'96 Skorpion Tour.
Dicer

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Dicer wrote:Hi Chuck,
Too bad I missed your earlier post because I would have been very interested in anything you had to do to your Skorpion to get it running. Coincidentally, I bought my own Skorpion Tour the same day you did. The PO delivered it down here from Georgia on Feb 15th. Looks like we have somewhat better motorcycling weather here at the moment.

Looks nice. :smt023
Mine wasn't, but I *like* to do barn find projects. So far, I've fixed a frozen gas cap, took the brake calipers and master cylinders apart, cleaned, etc. and have them working. The rear had been sitting open for years, and I was worried about that one, but it wasn't as corroded as I expected. I've flushed and refilled the cooling system, changed oil and filter, adjusted the valves.. a PITA on the exhaust.. made a couple of pieces for the left switchgear, repaired the right switchgear. Today was electrical day, didn't have left turnsignal, horn, neither brake switch worked. Got all that fixed. It now cranks, and has spark, so I *assume* it's going to run as soon as I go through the carbs. Should be ready to run in a couple of days, then I can do as much cosmetic stuff as I decide to do..
Oh yeah, forgot. Need to make a couple of pieces for and shorten the clutch cable. It's a good way to while away a few hours while it's too nasty to ride. :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 am

Exhaust valves are easy if you dismount the radiator and let it hang from the hoses. ;-)
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Dicer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 am

Yeah, "barn finds" used to be my specialty too, bikes, cars etc.. I've done a few but not so many these days. You've already done a lot to the Skorpion and I hope you get it running soon. They are a really nice handling bike, i think.

Mine was a one owner in well looked after condition but I still have a couple of things to do.
Clive in Central Florida
'96 Skorpion Tour.
Dicer

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:19 pm

barn finds where i live ..have all gone to the crusher or are worthless 4 wheelers
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 am

Hey, all.. this bike doesn't have a horn. I've found the wires that were bundled up and tucked away, but for the life of me I can't find where the OEM horn was mounted. I'm a Guzzi guy (Moto Guzzi, making mechanics and electricians out of riders since 1921) :P and have a NOS Guzzi horn to install if I can find the original mounting place.
edit:
Never mind. It was hiding above the top radiator mount. :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:57 pm

Ok, I've gone through the mechanical stuff, and it's ready to run.
Comma But
When I put fuel in the tank it has a slow drip at the petcock. Took it apart (again) and carefully stoned the valve. Looking at the seal with a 10X glass, it's a little worn. Tried a new belville spring from a Guzzi petcock. Slowed the drip down, but it's still doing it.
Is this one of those unobtainium parts? Where do I find one? Grahams? I've also read on here that if you were going to be running at full throttle a fair amount.. I'm guessing I will in the California mountains.. that the petcock needs to be upgraded. What is it? Where do I get it? Yes , I've used the search function..
Questions questions.
TIA
Chuck in Indiana

Postby droy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:46 pm

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/30 ... is-petcock

This Acerbis universal petcock works well. I've run one for serval year. Slightly less reserve amount then stock but still gives you 20 miles or so. Direct fit otherwise.

Doug in NJ
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 am

droy wrote:http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/30878/i/acerbis-petcock

This Acerbis universal petcock works well. I've run one for serval year. Slightly less reserve amount then stock but still gives you 20 miles or so. Direct fit otherwise.

Doug in NJ
'

Thanks for that. Already ordered it directly from Acerbis last night. Dang! Had to pay retail.. :-D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby droy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 am

BTW - don't use the supplied sheet metal screws. The tank has threaded inserts and bolts that you'll reuse. I also trimmed the black plastic on/off lever a bit to give it better clearance so it's less likely to catch on the wiring on the frame when removing and reinstalling the tank.

Doug in NJ
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:31 am

Ok, started it up this morning. Runs fine (of course) but I'm getting a fair of oil smoke burning off the exhaust. It looks like there *may* or may not be a leak at the crankcase split line. Is this a common thing? Cleaned up the bottom of the crankcase and walked away.. grumble grumble. Clutch works ok, didn't notice whether the speedo was working or not. Tach doesn't work, a minor annoyance.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby droy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:03 pm

If you haven't done it already replace all the rubber hoses, given the age. The hoses that run up to the oil take will split and leak oil on your rear tire which can make cornering very interesting. Experience talking here!! I have two of these Skorpions running and two in pieces as projects.

Doug
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Next

Return to 660 cc