Skorpion tour project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Skorpion tour project

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:21 pm

droy wrote:If you haven't done it already replace all the rubber hoses, given the age. The hoses that run up to the oil take will split and leak oil on your rear tire which can make cornering very interesting. Experience talking here!! I have two of these Skorpions running and two in pieces as projects.

Doug

Thanks, Doug. Will do. The only line that "looks" bad is the breather line. I was just wondering if a crankcase split line leak was likely. I wouldn't think so, knowing Yamaha, but still.. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job of cleaning when I changed the oil and filter.
Speaking of that, once I had it running, I backed off the top screw on the oil filter housing, and a little oil oozed around the screw. I would have thought there would be a *lot* ? It's just weird, not having an oil pressure light/gauge, etc. :shock: :D
edit for typo..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:03 pm

Ok, another problem. Both the tach and the speedo are maracas. :D The trip set part has fallen down into the case, and the tach has *something* rattling about, and doesn't work. I've searched and not found much except that it isn't unusual. I doubt that they are worth the effort to open up, although I could if necessary.
I'm one of those weirdos that likes everything to work.. and prefer it to be oem. Is this strictly a Graham's item, or is there a source in the US?
TIA
Chuck in Indiana

Postby droy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Graham's only on a factory tach. Do a search and there is a post on a gear driven tach using Yahaha factory parts. Also look for an old Aussie blog where he wired in a old Yahaha tach. Most have gone with aftermarket like Trail Tech.
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:27 am

Yeah, I saw the gear driven tach mod. Haven't decided what to do yet.. there are several options, but I'd rather have oem.
Oh, on those hoses, is there a supplier, or do you have to have to swadge on the fittings?
Chuck in Indiana

Postby droy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:16 am

http://www.bottger.de/mzskorpion/

Google translate this site for some discussions on repair of the tach - some folks have had the German factory (MB ?) repair it.

The factory hoses are metric sizes - I used US standard sizes available at the local auto parts store and forced them on if needed.
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Well well. I made a fixture for the bezels to sit in so they didn't deform when I took them off. I'm pretty sure I can repair the speedo/odo, and I *think* I can repair the tach. :D :D Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you..
BTW, these instruments are actually pretty nicely made. Much more robust than the white face Veglias on Guzzis..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby GordonH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Chuck in Indiana wrote:Well well. I made a fixture for the bezels to sit in so they didn't deform when I took them off. I'm pretty sure I can repair the speedo/odo, and I *think* I can repair the tach. :D :D Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you..
BTW, these instruments are actually pretty nicely made. Much more robust than the white face Veglias on Guzzis..

If the word gets out that you can fix these, you will have a lot of new friends.

Gordon
GordonH

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Sounds too much like work. :lol: Right now I'm looking for a small E or Poodle ring. :idea: Maybe a needle clip from a DelOrto needle will do..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:12 am

Actually, that was perfect. :D :D Now, all I need is a trip reset knob, and the speedo is fixed.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Well, they said it could't be done, so I tackled it with a grin.

I couldn't do it either. :D
Took the rattling tach apart, and a little gizmo (technical term) fell out. You could see where it had originally been soldered to the pc board and had a broken leg. Thought "aha" this will be an easy fix. Had my wife come out and help me solder it back on the board.. she's a whiz. Used to repair electonics, yada yada, but she didn't know what the gizmo was, either. At any rate, checked continuity after putting it back, looks good, glued it down with a hot melt gun so it wouldn't vibrate off again. Plugged it in, and.... nothin. :? I really did think it would work.
So. Anyone have a spare tach?
I've found the tach signal wire. How do I test it to make no shit sure that I have a tach signal?
Chuck in Indiana

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:31 pm

find a ham radio operator with an oscilloscope ..
that actually knows how to use it to look at it through a capacitor
for the pulses
or the wife may have a friend or former coworker that has one
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:32 pm

After a thorough search here, I found a Virago tach will work. All I have to do is put the guts into the kool MZ tach. Tested the repaired speedo and odo today. Works fine. :-D Got the new fuel petcock from Acerbis, put that on, no fuel leaks..one of the banes of my existence.. and started it up. Runs like a pickle seeder. Smells a little rich, but good enough for now. Ordered some new Shinko Podiums in the correct sizes. Decided to remove a decal on the tail piece that the DPO had installed. Got my trusty heat gun, peeled the first half off, and the second half took the paint with it. :roll: :evil: Some days you get the bear, some days, the bear gets you. :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby MZCountryRider » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 am

Virago eh? Interesting. Decals can be a pain. Peeled a few off myself, except they were on chromed steel and not paint. "Runs like a pickle seeder". :D Never heard that one before.
Charlie
'69 Guzzi Ambassador
'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'72 Benelli 175 Enduro
'73 Guzzi Eldorado
'76 Guzzi I-Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada
'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah
'82 Moto Guzzi V50 III
'97 MuZ Skorpion Tour

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
MZCountryRider

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 pm

I mentioned that it smelled a little rich, remember? Went into the shop this morning, and smelled gas. Thought, Uh oh. The line between the two carbs must have been vacuum line. At any rate, it wasn't fuel proof, and put the contents of the float bowl on the floor.
Thought, "Oh, well.. I needed to set the float height anyway."
Pulled the float bowl off, and..
Hmmm, that's not a carb o ring. It's just a regular o ring glued in with silicone. :roll: Thought, "Nice bodge." Would probably have worked long enough for the buyer to get out of sight..a piece of silicone would be in a jet shortly. Better order a rebuild kit.
Let's have a look at the float.. Yikes!
This isn't my first barn find rodeo, but this just might top the list of bodges I've seen. :lol:
Oh, yeah.. the jet holder..
FORTUNATELY a lister says he has a useable carb. Whew, and Thanks! The internet *can* be a wonderful thing..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 pm

these bikes are getting old and some of them very tired

expect them to be a ??? till you have gave them a good check out
i am still undoing all the mods to mine and i have had it for several years
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc