Skorpion tour project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Skorpion tour project

Postby Dicer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Chuck in Indiana wrote:Image

I haven't needed to look inside my Skorpion float chamber yet but I do remember reading somewhere that those pegs will break off if you don't support them when you knock out the float pin. Looks like your PO didn't know that little bit of useful inf. :evil:

Seems like a bit of ethanol corrosion damage in there as well.
Clive in Central Florida
'96 Skorpion Tour.
Dicer

Postby zippy49 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:14 am

Sorry for the spam, but I have two extra carb sets that look a lot better than that! PM me if you want one, cheap.
Tom in SoCal
zippy49

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:23 am

zippy49 wrote:Sorry for the spam, but I have two extra carb sets that look a lot better than that! PM me if you want one, cheap.

Thanks for that, but Sam already sent me one. It's working fine. Dang! I'm a Guzzi Guy. I *like* cheap. :lol:
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Got my cheap Ebay VX 1100 tach today. Dummied it up and it works. :smt023 Fast idle was showing 1500, which I'm guessing was about right. Now, all I have to do is put the VX guts in the MZ tach, wire it up, make some vibration dampers for the instrument cluster, and this project will be done. It's been fun learning different technology from Guzzis.
Now, if it only handles as well as I've read, I'll be a happy camper..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby MZCountryRider » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:42 am

Glad to hear you're making progress. :smt023
Charlie
'69 Guzzi Ambassador
'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'72 Benelli 175 Enduro
'73 Guzzi Eldorado
'76 Guzzi I-Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada
'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah
'82 Moto Guzzi V50 III
'97 MuZ Skorpion Tour

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
MZCountryRider

Postby Dicer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am

Chuck in Indiana wrote: Fast idle was showing 1500, which I'm guessing was about right....

Mine idles around 1200 when it's warm according to the tach which seems to be working ok.

How will you check out the handling with all that snow? :)
Clive in Central Florida
'96 Skorpion Tour.
Dicer

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:56 pm

MZCountryRider wrote:Glad to hear you're making progress. :smt023

Hiya Charlie! It's been a hoot to get it going. This tach conversion is the toughest job, but I'll persevere..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Dicer wrote:
Chuck in Indiana wrote: Fast idle was showing 1500, which I'm guessing was about right....

Mine idles around 1200 when it's warm according to the tach which seems to be working ok.

How will you check out the handling with all that snow? :)

The snow disappeared this week. :smt023 I've been out every day on my last project. I *love* the smell of a new engine cooling down in the Guzzi Garage. (tm) I don't have this sucker plated yet..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:28 am

Finally got the instruments working.
Had to exercise my "maintaining your composure" gland yesterday evening. :-D After jumping through hoops putting the VX1100 guts in the MZ housing, rewiring, etc. I plugged it in, fired up the bike, and nothing. :shock: I had a really strong urge to throw it.. but got out the meter and found the sense wire wasn't making connection.
Ignore the scratches from one of it's apparently many lay downs, and you can see the home made trip set knob and shock mounts for the cluster.
Still don't have plates for it, but ran it up and down our deserted road, and I think I'm really going to like it.
Unfortunately, I found a leaky hose to the oil tank. <sigh> I've been warned, but they look good. I'll have to replace all the rubber. As I've mentioned on the Guzzi list more than once, when you are dealing with a barn find.. sometimes free is too much. :lol:
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 am

So, am I destined to get the oil lines from Graham's? I'm seeing no source in the states with some searching. Can regular automotive sizes be fit up to the swaged on parts? Also, the CDI is for the SRX, and hits the rev limiter at 5800-6000 rpm. What's up with that? I wouldn't have thought that I'd miss putting the needle on the tach by 1000 rpm..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:40 am

in Indiana you should be able to find a shop that can make them..using your old fittings ...

farm tractors use lots of hoses
ask a farmer which shop makes the best hoses
lots of tractor brands from asia they may even have the proper fittings or can get them
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks for that. I'll give em a try.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby phoenix76rb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Hey Chuck, how is the Tour project coming along?

Tim
--
Tim in Herndon, VA, USA
1995 MZ-660 Skorpion Sport
1975 Ducati 750GT round-case (basket case)
1967 Honda CL-90
2003 Ducati DS1000SS Ultra-lightweight Street Roadster
1999 Ducati 750SS Frankenstein with DS1000SS engine
2000 Harley FXDX
2007 Harley FLHXI
phoenix76rb

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 am

phoenix76rb wrote:Hey Chuck, how is the Tour project coming along?

Tim

Sorry for the late reply. It's done. Been riding it a fair amount. It *does* handle very well, and is agile. It'll be fine to leave out in the grandkids place to ride the mountains of SoCal. The brakes suck, but having a good time in the canyons is all about carrying speed through the corners, and slowing down on the straights.
General impressions:
It's ugly as a board fence. The styling (carnivorous insect) may have been cutting edge when it was designed.. just looks dated to me. Gimme a Guzzi. :lol:
The engine? Capable but boring as a BMW. :twisted:
The transmission? Wonderful is about all I can say about it.
The brakes? I'll try some HH pads before binning them, but see the first paragraph. :-D
Riding position? Excellent.
Chassis? Stiff and solid. The nonadjustable forks seem to be really good, strangely enough. I'd say they got that right.
The electrical system? Yuck. What's up with those mystery diodes, non sealed connectors, etc,?
Wheels? Meh. Fine for a street ridden bike, IMHO.
All in all, I'm happy with it. There is no perfect motorcycle. :)
Chuck in Indiana

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Just throw a Brembo master cylinder on the front brakes and you'll be pleasantly surprised unless the caliper is worn out. I have great control now and enough power to flip the bike over, and that's with the size that was meant for scooters. You won't be looking for more power if you get the proper pump hooked up to the front end. If interested, I can dig up the page on this discussion.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc