Skorpion tour project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Skorpion tour project

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:34 pm

edfmaniac wrote:Just throw a Brembo master cylinder on the front brakes and you'll be pleasantly surprised unless the caliper is worn out. I have great control now and enough power to flip the bike over, and that's with the size that was meant for scooters. You won't be looking for more power if you get the proper pump hooked up to the front end. If interested, I can dig up the page on this discussion.

Yeah, I'm interested. Apparently I don't have the secret handshake for searching yet. I have a hard time finding what I'm looking for most of the time..
Chuck in Indiana

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Sometimes the search engine is worthless and then sometimes it works. Something isn't right with the database. I was just looking for some old posts of mine, that I know are there somewhere, but key words in the post aren't being picked up by the search. I'll post the page when I can find it.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:56 pm

The PS11 or PS12 is the one you want. I went with the 11 but I could see where some people would like the extra power of the 12.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:58 pm

01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Dicer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Chuck in Indiana wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. It's done. Been riding it a fair amount. It *does* handle very well, and is agile. It'll be fine to leave out in the grandkids place to ride the mountains of SoCal. The brakes suck, but having a good time in the canyons is all about carrying speed through the corners, and slowing down on the straights.
)

Maybe it's just the pads. My front brake will practically pull a stoppie with one finger. Pretty sure it's the stock 4-piston caliper but I don't know what the pads are.

Ugly? I think it's pretty sharp looking. :D
Clive in Central Florida
'96 Skorpion Tour.
Dicer

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Dicer wrote:
Chuck in Indiana wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. It's done. Been riding it a fair amount. It *does* handle very well, and is agile. It'll be fine to leave out in the grandkids place to ride the mountains of SoCal. The brakes suck, but having a good time in the canyons is all about carrying speed through the corners, and slowing down on the straights.
)

Maybe it's just the pads. My front brake will practically pull a stoppie with one finger. Pretty sure it's the stock 4-piston caliper but I don't know what the pads are.

Ugly? I think it's pretty sharp looking. :D

Well, if you *like* carnivorous insects.. :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:11 pm

<sigh> I thought my troubleshooting was done. I rode it a few hundred miles after I got it going, and all seemed to be well. It was cold, though.
Took it out yesterday and caned the tits off of it. Ran fine, seemed to like it. :D Then, I thought.. it's pretty warm, I would have thought the fans would have kicked on..
So.
Checked power to the thermo switch.. got it. It looks from the schematic that I should be able to jumper the thermo switch and run the fans..right? Nothing. Checked for power at the left fan while jumping the thermo switch. Nothing. Ran power and ground to each fan separately.. nothing. Shouldn't they run doing that?
Chuck in Indiana

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes. If you are running 12v power directly to the fans, and they still don't work, the fans are bad. Seems kinda unlikely they'd both be dead though. Is there any evidence the bike was ever under water or anything like that?
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Not really. It had been sitting outside for who knows how long, though. I never gave it a thought.. it was just another POS barn find like I enjoy rehabbing. A Guzzi with 13K miles would still be new. :twisted: :D
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:47 pm

Oh, can you source this stuff from the local Yamaha dealer?
Chuck in Indiana

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Never mind, that's a no. :D So much for the easy to obtain parts..
I'll make something work. One fan was open, the other has bad bearings.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:08 pm

lot of desktop computer power supply fans are 12v use one of them in a pinch
till you can find a correct fan

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 pm

I've looked at what appear to be computer cooling fans :shock: sold for motorcycle use, but If I'm going to the trouble of making something work, I'll get something that is weather proof and do it once. :D After I get this bike out to the Kalifornia Kanyons, I won't have a workshop or very many tools. I'm trying to make it as bulletproof as possible.
Chuck in Indiana

Previous

Return to 660 cc