my mz project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: my mz project

Postby riversbikes » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:33 pm

I could, but I'd like to wait until my winter teardown. The frame will have to be separated out, and it, the rear subframe, and front engine tube are going to be powdercoated. I'll weigh the wheels then. I must say they aren't the lightest option, but likely lighter than what I've heard about the stock skorp wheels.
riversbikes

Postby riversbikes » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JGJvgD1nSk

Youtube video of the project finally running! Glad I decided not to hack off the sidestand, as it's gonna go on the street.
riversbikes

Postby Mzokk » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:17 am

That looks fantastic :-D
Ah so thats what this bit is for!
Mzokk

Postby riversbikes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks for the compliments! It's in pieces once again, preparing to re=assemble the front end with a straight lower triple clamp, as well as mocking up the relocated exhaust.
riversbikes

Postby billr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Very, very nice. Sounds really good. That will turn some heads on the road.
Bill R
billr

Postby riversbikes » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Been ages since I posted. Bike is still in progress, but have decided to make it a streetbike after a short test ride.

I re-routed the exhaust from under the seat due to the vibes. Makes sense that there aren't many underseat-exhaust singles, this side of a moto3 bike. Mounting it down low looks more cafe, and it also uses a rubber/alloy bracket from an R1.

Its now in pieces, for the frame (gloss black), and seat subframe and front engine mount (matt black) to be powdercoated.
I've also decided to strip the tank

Found a few dents under the paint, but leaving it as is, and calling it character or patina.

As soon as the frame is done, will start the final reassembly. Unseasonably warm in Manitoba right now, but that still means its bloody cold, so will leave the electrical till the spring. All the wiring works as it should, its just too cold to manipulate wires as the insulation cracks in this temperature.

I'm painting the nose fairing and tail section, you guessed it, black.

Here's the bike with the retro cafe seat and tailights

And the headlight fairing (from boxer cafe)
riversbikes

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 pm

Cool. Good luck in the home stretch.

I'm taking my SZR660 Brembo wheels to the powder coat dude tomorrow. :D
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby dandywarhol » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm enjoying this thread - I'm also kicking myself for not buying your CR carbs when I had the chance :(
Whale oil beef hooked
dandywarhol

Postby riversbikes » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Frame and sundries back from the powdercoaters, so it's time to build! Doing my best not to let it sit on the concrete floor and scratch the coating!

Steering stem bearings installed. These went in fairly smoothly, with no aggro as the coater did a good job masking off the bearing pockets.

The lower frame caps were powdered with a textured effect just so it wasn't all gloss black. The front engine mount and the subframe got the same treatment as these pieces will also be subject to some road abuse.

Swingarm in, shock mounted, and engine bolts still finger tight for now. Factory milk crate in place.

Rear subframe in place, along with front engine mount/cradle.
Coil with new wire also mounted, and engine bolts/swingarm shaft snugged up. Front end is still at the machinist's getting the wheel centered in the (now straight) triple clamps, and the front caliper mounted properly.
riversbikes

Postby billr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:30 pm

That is going to look nice...and I like that kick-start hanging off the right side.
Hope it's not tempermental on the kick... :D
BillR
billr

Postby riversbikes » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:12 pm

riversbikes

Postby edfmaniac » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Just got my first piece back from the powder coater. Looks pretty good. Bad news is he dropped my rear wheel and dinged the lip, so he sent it to a professional shop to be put on a machine and retrued. Go figure it had to happen to wheels that take a good deal of searching and hunting for.

firstpowder.jpg
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:59 am

Murphy lives in every ones back pocket where the cash is supposed to be stored but he replaces it with problems
Dave
And the project is lookin great keep at it
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby billr » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:02 pm

edfmaniac wrote:Just got my first piece back from the powder coater. Looks pretty good. Bad news is he dropped my rear wheel and dinged the lip, so he sent it to a professional shop to be put on a machine and retrued. Go figure it had to happen to wheels that take a good deal of searching and hunting for.

firstpowder.jpg

Oh, Santa Claus... :smt111
I've been a good boy...I promise... :smt059

'Bout the only way to come across a set of those.
Very nice.
Bill R
billr

Postby riversbikes » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:15 pm

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zzPUCAbbQp4/VnxONO5VbII/AAAAAAAAD-E/4PD0ih5_GNg/s1600/rebuild16.jpg[img]

The bike rebuild continues to progress. Next up was mounting the exhaust (again). I used new gaskets to ensure a good seal. I'm considering getting them ceramic coated, but I'll see what color they turn once the bike has been run. They are stainless, of course.
The muffler now mounts to the footpeg bracket, and you can see the R1 aluminum bracket I've used. Red stuff isn't blood for once, some red locktite to hold it in place. There is a rubber bushing at play here, which should help isolate the vibes.
Some small details -- this is a piece of coat hanger wire, repurposed to hold the rear brake hose away from the shock. I used a "00" jeweler's tip and a bit of rod to seal off the "circles" ast each end, and then painted it black.
You know when you are a mechanic when you see the beauty in carburetors.
The rear subframe; I've glued/siliconed the aluminum spacers in place, obviously the seat pan goes on top. Cafe seat is currently being wet-sanded in prep for graphics and another coat of clear (along with the front fairing).
riversbikes

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc