My new project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

My new project

Postby DII » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:54 am

Hi all!
New to MZ and this forum.
I live in Sweden so you have to excuse my bad english and sometimes weird expessions :lol:
All of this started recently when a new bikedealer open a workshop i an old sawmill in a small willage nearby.
As we live in the contryside among the lakes and forest it's not a common thing here to have a bike shop here.
Anyhow, once he where the swedish agent for mz:s and got a nice Baghira on display at the shop. With forged marvic penta magnesium wheels and tuned motor it opened my eyes to this bike and the concept.
As I already got a Ducati 851 and a Ktm 520 Exc I was thinking it would be a nice complement with a Baghira or a Mastiff.
A few days later I found an add with a Mastiff. phoned the guy and got some pictures after a few days.
He crashed the bike in 2008 and took it apart beacuse the crash and found it hade some water in the oil and about this point his dream died! :roll:
So the frame with wheels where stored under a pressening outside the garage and the rest of the parts inside untill I bought it for aprox. 240 £
With it came a Hotcam stage 2 camshaft and an extra motor. A airbox in two pieces beacuse the bloke cut of the front trying to fit the motor and airbox into a Cagiva Mito frame planning to race the supermono racing serie here in sweden. :roll:
Taking of the cylinder and head to check if there's any leak fron cylinder or headgaskets I found a Tornado stage 1 camshaft. Some new harder springs for the valves to match the Hotcam stage 2 camshaft and an overhaul I put the motor back together again. It got 16.000km on the speedo so it where in good shape with little wear.
When talking to the old MZ dealer about it he told me this bike where his old demo bike and a big smile on his face appared when he saw it when I stop at the shop with the Mastif on the trailer yesterday to get it back home from work. (did the painting at work)
It won't go back into original shape in the front beacuse the uglyness design of the front and the mess of the frontend after the crash, I'm planning to get a little more modern design on the front.
More to come.....

Cheers!
David

This is the sight that met me when i picked it up a month ago..
The rearshock in need of some new paint

A slow transformation back to some dignity and better shape...
And some new paint...
Cleaning....
Putting it together...

This is the shape it's in for the moment. Month some parts...
DII

Re: My new project

Postby basser23 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:28 am

Welcome Aboard David,
your English is just fine....Looks like the bike is coming along nicely....you may want to check in the files for STMZ built by Slipstream Tuning some years back,It'll give you something to drool over!
Chip
basser23

Postby tigcraft » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:15 am

It's looking very interesting david and welcome to the forum. Eric
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby Nils D » Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 am

About 10 years ago I saw a Mastiff i Stockholm, Södermalm, styled as a military vehicle made for war in desserts. It really locked cool but unfortunately I've nerver seen it since then. And I didn't have camera with me. But somewhere in Sweden there is a Mastiff that really has taken advantage of the styling of it's front, and fulfilled it.
Skorpion Traveller 96
Nils D

Postby DII » Tue May 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Nils D wrote:About 10 years ago I saw a Mastiff i Stockholm, Södermalm, styled as a military vehicle made for war in desserts. It really locked cool but unfortunately I've nerver seen it since then. And I didn't have camera with me. But somewhere in Sweden there is a Mastiff that really has taken advantage of the styling of it's front, and fulfilled it.

I can take a picture of one if you want ;-) . There's one Baghira in a military style only 10 kilometers from here at the old Muz dealer... :-)
DII

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue May 05, 2015 9:11 pm

will the top triple clamp and handle bar clamps on this bike fit a traveller

i have higher bars on my traveller but not happy with the way it has to be done
with the original tarozzi clip on handlebars

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Nils D » Sun May 10, 2015 8:46 am

DII wrote:
Nils D wrote:About 10 years ago I saw a Mastiff i Stockholm, Södermalm, styled as a military vehicle made for war in desserts. It really locked cool but unfortunately I've nerver seen it since then. And I didn't have camera with me. But somewhere in Sweden there is a Mastiff that really has taken advantage of the styling of it's front, and fulfilled it.

I can take a picture of one if you want ;-) . There's one Baghira in a military style only 10 kilometers from here at the old Muz dealer... :-)

Show it! It would be nice.
(While I keep on locking for the Mastiff.)
Skorpion Traveller 96
Nils D

Postby MZ in Oz » Sun May 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Hbars.jpg
DAVID THOMPSON wrote:will the top triple clamp and handle bar clamps on this bike fit a traveller

i have higher bars on my traveller but not happy with the way it has to be done
with the original tarozzi clip on handlebars

dave

Dave,
No, the offset is totally different. Find a set of barclamps/risers and just drill and fit to the existing top yoke.
That is all that MZ did for the later Tours and Travellers with the steel tube bars as I have on mine.
This is what I did on my Sport when I replaced the clipons.
MZ in Oz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun May 10, 2015 4:42 pm

good deal i have several clamps from the bone yard at an atv recycler

i use them when we redo an old bmw into a daily driver

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby DII » Mon May 11, 2015 4:29 pm

Made some progress since i where here. She's running and sounds like a old stone-breaker then idling.. So I'l thougth it could be some problem with the clutch basket or primary drive and as I also own a Ducati, so I*m familiar with ratteling clutches ;) it where my first thought. Anyhow, Some research on the net and off with the clutch cover finding it where little loose. Need to tighten the driveshaft nut and put some loctite on the treads. In a day or two it will be put back together again for a test again.

David.
DII

Postby DII » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 am

After the rebuilt in the spring last year I drove the bike without any problems the whole summer and it passed the M.o.t without any problem.
nice to ride at small twisty roads and to get to work and to the lake for a bath when it was hot even if it was qiute few days.

So this winter (it´s aprox 30 cm snow and -20 to -25.C cold here now) It where time to fix some cosmetic things.
Ignitech box installed. Done som work with the fork. New sealings and one of the innertube where changed because of bad crome.
Barkbusters with Led indicators (homemade) in the front and at the back, combined indicators with rear/brake light and a new plateholder.
Painted the fueltank black with plasti-dip instead of the read original colour. I´m curious to se how long it will stick to the surface of the plastic tank? It´s easy to peel of if it was a bad choise?
New stickers on the sidepanels with my own design. The "MuZstiff" instead of mastiff :wink:
Going to change some parts of the exhaust as it is a little bit to noisy.
And the red star "црвена Ѕвезда" i the front to annoy a mate. :twisted:

Winter storage!!
DII

Postby billr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:27 am

Winter Storage!!!...I like that. :lol:
I have my trike hanging off the ceiling for room in the garage.
BillR
billr

Return to 660 cc