radiator fan bad? Skorpion sport

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

radiator fan bad? Skorpion sport

Postby 2stroke1971 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:27 pm

I was out on my Skorpion sport last evening....a long ride, and at one point we stopped so I could fix my camera...left it idling a while. Then when I went to pull off there was a blood curdling screech/whine/nails on the chalkboard/kettle whistle thing. At first I thought it was siezing. Then I thought the radiator popped and was blowing off. As I looked down, I saw the fan on the left side fluttering about....I think that was where the noise was coming from. The noise did not increase with RPMs, so I pulled off cautiously and as soon as I made it a few hundred feet witht the wind in the radiator, sure enough it went away.
This was perhaps the first time since I bought it that the fan had actually come one, as I said it was a longer than normal ride for me and that idling for a while probably made it hot enough for the fan to come on. And I cant say I ever remember seeing it spin.
I had a bilge fan in a boat go bad like that, a terrible shreiking whine. Sheesh. Guess I gotta get another fan. Im not even sure as I write this how many fans it has. Anybody know off hand, and if I get one used, are they the same left or right, etc?
2stroke1971

Re: radiator fan bad? Skorpion sport

Postby clem27 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:44 am

Mine does the same exact thing, very loud buzzing. It does not come on that often so I haven't bothered to fix it.
clem27

Postby toledo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm

I was worried about mine as I noticed the bearings were buggered in the motors for them, the fan blades were just loose and rattled around. I use my sport to commute every day and get stuck in traffic sometimes so wanted to make sure this was sorted. I looked around for small replacement options and there were a few but I ended up getting a bigger 7" (I think) and mounting it in front of the radiator. This ended up costing me $25 instead of around $250. Just make sure its a fairly low profile unit so it doesn't foul the front guard on low suspension travel.

untitled shoot-6957.jpg

It looked a little ugly at first but I don't see it anymore and I know it does a good job when needed so its justified and as you can see its pretty hidden from a few meters back.

20150831_082444.jpg
toledo

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 am

Good luck finding OEM replacement fans. I showed how to make up some on the replacement parts thread.. the oem's are pretty cheesy anyway.
Here's the thread..
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6481&start=60
Chuck in Indiana

Return to 660 cc