Thinking of picking up a '05 Baggie Motard

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Thinking of picking up a '05 Baggie Motard

Postby SeaBass » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi All,
I sold my '88 NX650 in December and picked up a CBR954RR. After 1100 miles on it, I realized I missed riding over curbs and roosting fire roads and doing 140+ wasn't that important to me anymore, so I'm putting the CBR on the block.
I came across the Baggie while searching e-bay for a replacement dual sport (KTM) and did some research on it. It looks very suitable for me (6'3 and 225 lbs). I liked that it had the Yami 5-valve motor and the looks of the bike more importantly.
My questions are:
1- How expensive is replacement plastic?
2-Does it use the same filters (air,oil) as the raptor?
3-Is the radiator susceptible to damage in a tipover?
4-How well does it handle in the street? (I've been spoiled by the CBR)
5-What's the max cruising speed on the highway?
6-Is there any difference besides the paint between the BP and the motard?
Thanks to all who reply.
Charles
SeaBass

Postby phlat65 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:38 pm

1. can be spendy, they are all painted except the enduro version.
2. oil filter is same as XT600, in stock at yamaha (raptor uses spin on)
3. I crashed in the dirt during a supermoto race, and once on the street, tucked the front under braking at 50 mph with no radiator damage. actually, all that got rashed were my barkbusters, and axle sliders. no plastic damage!
4. My reduced height could easily hold its own with a sportbike as long as the corner speeds are below 60 mph. actually rode with a guy on a 954rr and I could easily hound him in the corners. the best part is you can wack open the throttle after the apex, and not have to worry too much about wheel spin. this was with the stock Pirelli MT60's!!
5. 75mph is kinda uncomfortable due to the lack of wind protection. I have gone up 1 tooth on the front sprocket, and it will do 70 comfortably.
6. I think all the BP are Height reduced (HR). the HR also has different steering geometry. I converted my BP from HR to full height, and I will say the HR is WAY more comfortable pushing hard on the street. I raced myt BP in the novice class at a supermoto race, and finished 5th out of 22. against KTM's, 450's and various sportsman bikes. it is heavy, but does handle very well.

where are you located? I am sure any member of this board wouold let you swing a leg over thier machine. I sure would.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby SeaBass » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:15 am

Thanks for repling so quick! I'm in Saratoga Springs, NY.
What's involved in the HR to full height conversion? I'm glad to hear you were competitive in the Supermoto. Did you change the springs and shocks? I was looking at the weight specs and thinking it must be a handful in the whoops!
I'm set on getting the Baggie now. Just in a quandary over which model.
I'm sure you didn't race with the 17" front wheel (or did you?). I'd much rather have increased street handling as opposed to off road. I had 50/50 tires on my NX650 (21"F, 18"R) and it was loads of fun hanging turns so I can only imagine what the 17"s are like.
Thanks again for answering my noob questions
Charles
SeaBass

Postby phlat65 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:40 am

no whoops, just an off camber grass track section. the bike is good fun though, I have put 12,000 miles on mine, and they have all been fun.
raced it stock, 17 inch wheels, and some Pirelli MT60's. could scrape the foot peg on asphalt!!

to convert to full height, you need the forks, shock, dog bones, and kick stand. I got lucky, my buddy had a full height, and wanted the HR. the forks could be had on e-bay, they are the same as pre 93 KTM, 45mm Marzoci magnum (sp).
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby MSW » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:09 pm

I noticed that most of the new Black Panthers are height reduced, but I did find one that was standard height in San Francisco in March. I snapped it up, and noticed that, when I was back for new tires yesterday, they had replaced it on the sales floor with a height reduced BP.

That would suck to have to convert. Maybe you can talk to your local dealer about locating a standard height model and ordering it for you.
MSW
2005 Black Panther

I like my beer like I like my women: cold, dark, and bitter.
MSW

down low

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:40 pm

i think you will see more height reduced bikes from more
brands
it's the big complaint i hear from guy's in my area
"when they make a bike short enough for me to get a leg across
they put the foot pegs out front like an HD if i wanted to set like that
i would be looking at an HD"

i am 5'11" and short in the legs so a rt125 is just on the high side for me
any higher and i dont like it
spoiled by my R50S i guess :-D
i like the baggie but i dont think anyone makes sidecar mounts for it
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby SeaBass » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:16 pm

It's definitely going to be a consideration. I only hope I can get the standard height for the desired extra travel. I'll inquire of the dealer I'm going through if this is possible and hopefully he won't try to stick me for "special order" cash.
I put about 180 miles on my cbr yesterday and realized I'll miss it when it's gone. Damn, I wish I could keep more than one bike!
Thanks for the replies, guys.
SeaBass

Return to 660 cc