Anyone fit the Suzuki 500E wheels on a skorpion?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Anyone fit the Suzuki 500E wheels on a skorpion?

Postby spenceroma » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:28 pm

looking to lighten my load on my race bike project. I don't have a lot to spend, but I have a lead on a 500E parts bike, and my understanding is that these wheels are significantly lighter and have been used on the Skorpions in the past.

Now I am trying to track down someone who has information on this topic, as to what troubles I may encounter in order to do this swap, how much lighter the wheels are, and what tires they run on the 500E rims? (the donor 500E is a 1993 model)

Any information greatly appreciated. The Skorpion is relatively stock in its current form, and I wanted to do a few things that may give me a step up for next years racing season. (I don't need to get first, but I don't want to be last either....)

Thanks
spenceroma

Re: Anyone fit the Suzuki 500E wheels on a skorpion?

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:51 pm

Never heard of those wheels on a Skorpion. I think someone mounted up a set of Ninja 500 wheels but still not much info on it that I've seen. The only wheel swap that I could help with would be the SZR660 Brembo wheels. Make sure you have deep pockets, own a lathe or have a friend who is a machinist before you get too excited about it. The machine work alone for making axles and spacers can get VERY expensive real quick.
Last edited by edfmaniac on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby spenceroma » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:27 pm

thank you for that bit of info.
As I was poking around on this site I thought I had seen someone mention that the suzi 500E rims would work, just trying to collect some more info.
My pockets are not that deep, but I know a few machinists that may be able to help me out, so if I can find something lighter than the stock wheels that are fairly inexpensive- I may give it a go.

I thought it was bill jurgenson that mentioned this possible swap. How do I track that guy down to pick his brain.........?

thanks
spenceroma

Postby GordonH » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:50 pm

GordonH

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:18 pm

He doesn't come around here anymore and the times that I've tried to contact him through FB or his old website have been unsuccessful.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby droy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:46 am

With 4 skorpion's (and a lot of time on MuZ and FZR forums) I've played around with a few wheels - this is what I've seen done with a bias to what's "available" in the US. Wi

Replica Wheels - rear is a straight bolt on assuming you have the Replica sprocket and carrier. It uses the same rear caliper, disk (Replicas is a bit thicker but stock will work), and caliper hanger. Front you need a single 320mm brake disk, some axle spacers and a bit of shimming of the caliper.

SZR and some TZR 250 Street bikes (the most common and well documented conversion - not imported to the US) - lots of info on Bills posts on that.

SV650 wheels - A former member has done it and there are pictures on this forum. This goes to 500E wheels also, which are reportedly lighter then the SV wheels.

Early R6 front end (with forks/brakes) - search Riverbike on this forum or Manitoba Superbike

Honda CBR F3 or 1990-1993 VFR front end complete. See my discussion of the rear CBR wheel below.

1990's Ducati wheels with a lot of work (see post from Sam outside of Boston)

Early 1990 TZ250 wheels (similar to the TZR but with no rear crush drive - very light)

Something I'm currently working on (cheap conversion! for lighter 3.5 front and 5.0 rear :D )) is a 1995 US YZF600 front wheel (320 mm brake disk from Ducati bolts on) which is very similar to the SZR/TZR front wheel. In the rear a CBR F3 rear wheel with a 1980's VF 500 f rear sprocket carrier and custom sprocket has the same width dimension as the stock Skorpion. Still need to work out the brake caliper.
hanger.

Let us know what you end up with!
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby spenceroma » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:31 am

thank you for that droy.

I imagine replica wheels are a bit tough to find, as well may be too costly, but I like the simple solution.

I think I will go ahead with the 500E wheels as for the availability and price to get a set in the US. Now I just want as much info on the subject as I can get on the retrofit- if I can find it. It would be good to know specifics so I can figure out what model years of GS wheels are best, what parts I would compile to get it done, ETC.....

I'll poke around on this and try to track down Bill J. as well.

If anyone on here has any more info- it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
spenceroma

Postby droy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 am

some wheel pictures!
Attachments
muz july 2011 003.jpg
New%20Wheels%20and%20forks.JPG
003.jpg
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby droy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:02 am

That's the SV in the middle

Some other pictures - I'm not sure of the wheel types :D
Attachments
muzskorpionracer.jpg
ktm 690 rear wheel.jpg
picture-0028.jpg
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby tigcraft » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Member 'pod35' has fitted Suzuki gs500 wheels. He's not been on for a while although he is nearby to me if you need to contact him? Cheers Eric
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby spenceroma » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Eric-
It would be great to be able to get as much info on the swap as I can, If you happen to bump into it please mention it, as more info would be most helpful!

Thanks
spenceroma

Postby pod35 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:06 am

I've fitted the front and am working on the rear. Front just requires new bearings to match the Muz front axle and new axle spacer. I kept the Muz Speedo drive and modified the wheel to accept the drive. Seem to remember that finding a new seal took a while. The disc is slightly smaller but still works on standard pads. I used the Suzuki disc because they are much cheaper than an Muz disc and may last three weeks before warping!
At the rear you will need to make a calliper bracket as the disc on the Suzuki wheel is bigger and make up new axle spacers. You will also need to space the sprocket out to make the chain line up. I haven't done this but yet so can't give dimensions. I was thinking of cutting the centre out of an old sprocket to use as a spacer, but need to make sure that the sprocket ends up properly supported and centred. Still thinking about this bit.The calliper bracket was made from a piece of ally 8mm thick which I cut out using a jigsaw and cleaned up with files etc.
Hope that helps.
R reg Tour 99,500km and counting....... now in 99,500 bits and counting
pod35

Postby spenceroma » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:14 am

That absolutely helps! Thank you for this. Just knowing the process a little bit gives me enough info that I can begin. I am trying to lighten my race bike up a bit, and this is one place I wanted to start. Any idea of the weight difference between the stock Grimeca's and the GS rims?

Also curious as to where you source the new bearings for the front, as well as the seal. I am assuming you were able to use the stock MZ axles for the front and rear? So far it looks like you can keep the stock rear caliper, and just make a new bracket?

All in all it doesn't sound too bad. More than anything I wanted to make sure the process was something I could handle without having to visit a machinist for every step of the way. I expect I will have to in order to mill up a few spacers and such, but knowing I can do most of it in my garage gives me hope....

Anything else you can think of would be most appreciated. (If you happen to have a photo or two that would be great as well)

now I just want to find out what the weight savings will be as well.

Thank you very much!
spenceroma

Postby tigcraft » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:04 am

Bearings tend to be cheap as chips over here. We have places that just sell bearings, chains and other engineering fixings. Bearings can be bought from just general measured sizes off the shelf or if you know a standard bearing number.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby pod35 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:04 am

The bearings are a standard size - sorry I can't remember exactly what - you need to specify the outer diameter to match wheel and inner to match Muz axle. I got mine from simply bearings as i find them cheaper than my local bearing shop. If I remember correctly you need c3 grade but I'll try and find the order and post here.
R reg Tour 99,500km and counting....... now in 99,500 bits and counting
pod35

Return to 660 cc