Super slick Skorpion

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Super slick Skorpion

Postby breakwellmz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:54 am

Attachments
mz-skorpion (Small).jpg
breakwellmz

Re: Super slick Skorpion

Postby dickl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:14 am

:?: Is this the only Scorpion that's better looking than a Replika :?: I wish I had the skill and dedication to build something like this. :|
dickl

Postby breakwellmz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:06 pm

It does look impressive. I would love to know how much it weighs, there doesn`t look to be much to it. Any guesses? 140kg
breakwellmz

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:06 pm

I like it but mine will have no fairing for the light and no chin fairing. It will have a little more bodywork around the subframe though. I don't know what the subframe on this bike weighs but mine is super light and the dry weight after the wheel swap will be under 300lbs. Here's the last pic of mine. I'll be damned if I don't get it completely finished this year. Colors will likely be black, white and MZ green.

GEDC1053.JPG
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Lamby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty happy with the result - it has been a mission!
Good guess breakwellmz - it weighs about 140kg's with a light fuel load.
The original sub-frame was pretty weighty but I also got rid of pretty much everything else as well and actually have no 'traditional' subframe now at all.
Hidden inside the tank/seat/tail unit and running horizontally from the stock frame mounts back to the spars under the seat is thin wall box section.
It forms a very strong triangle that takes the load down the spars either side of the electrics tray down to the frame, and the frame forms the third side of the triangle.
Saves a huge amount of weight. The Avon fairing and the belly pan weigh about as much as a small breakfast, so if I want a lighter setup I should skip a meal (which wouldn't do me any harm, just quietly)!
Weight wasn't really a huge factor in the build but a happy by-product.
Handles beautifully with a rebuild on the forks and a Wilbers off-the-shelf shock, and we all know how good the engines are.
Only downside is the mirrors are useless but they are only there because they have to be.
Lamby

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:04 pm

Did you do any motor work? Mine's basically new from the cylinder up with oversized valves and port work by a really good tech, and Megacycle X4 cam fed by custom Mikuni's. Carb on the right is actually a little larger to match the weird intake setup. It really thumps. :) Also updated the suspension with emulators on the forks and a JRi shock. Wheels are the ones from the SZR so they are way lighter than the stock slabs.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Lamby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Rebuilt the top of the motor as stock - no mods there except with the pods.
Your motor is going to thump. Sounds like yours is going to come in nice and light too.
Lamby

Postby edfmaniac » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:41 pm

It's already been clocked at around 60hp, and that was with stock carbs that were very rich and a stock ignition. I should be able to hit 65 once everything is fully tuned, which is probably 70 at the crank. :D I think that's about as much as you can squeeze out of one of these mills without causing reliability problems. Which reminds me, I also removed the decomp system and replaced the gear in the balancer drive that can cause major problems at sustained high rpms.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:56 pm

There are bikes and there are motorcycles
"THIS IS A WORK OF ART"
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 660 cc