Skorpion Headlight

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion Headlight

Postby starfield181 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:26 am

Rode my newly acquired Skorpion at night for the first time; it's dire. Cutoff is far too sharp only illuminating a short distance ahead and trying to ride with the main beam on all the time gets me flashed and its not a lot better anyway. Ride home was scary.

Is there a solution to this or am I stuck with a daytime only bike.

PeterF
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Re: Skorpion Headlight

Postby dickl » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:18 am

Yamaha TRX 850 unit fits straight in and uses (one) much better bulb. I have tried it and it works. There are a number of posts on here about this and also on the "singular pleasure" forum.
dickl

Postby starfield181 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks for the TRX tip but I think this bike may already have one. Its difficult to get a decent view of the back without removing the fairing which I am loathe to do at this point. However, looking at the spares book pictures the original headlight unit seems to have 2 separate bulbs for dip/main whereas the TRX unit I found on ebay takes a single H4 bulb. Would this be corrrect?

Looking at what is on mine from the front I think it only has a single bulb but hard to be sure because of the diffusion from the lens. Is there any way of telling for sure without dismantling. Not enough room to get my hands in to even feel what's there safely. I don't have a working pilot light but there does seem to be a small empty bulb holder at the bottom of the light unit. Is that a clue?

Thanks
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Postby rcbikeracer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:09 am

My traveller has the original headlight with twin bulbs. The left hand bulb is dip beam and the right hand bulb is main beam. Not sure how good it is, as I've never ridden it in the dark.
As an upgrade I have ordered two LED bulbs from China, (99p each, including P&P), I have replaced the rear light with a matching LED tail light also from China £7.10p delivered.
rcbikeracer

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:08 pm

my traveller is not very good in the lights
and finding TRX stuff to fix it with is almost imposable where i live
so i will add a small driving lamp on the berm side to see the deer
and hope i do not hit one in my driveway
Dave

they live in my side yard almost 24/7/365
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby lavrentyuk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:39 am

If you have only the one bulb then you already have the TRX conversion. I am not aware of any other single bulb plug and.play conversion.

Some fitted the FZR twin bulb bjt the improvement is marginal, though at least the bulbs aren't quite so rare.

The TRX unit is adjustable is the good news.

On opposing corners of the black plastic to the rear are two black plastic screws set in a hex for a spanner. One controls left-right, and the other up-down. Give it a go, I would use a spanner not a screwdriver to minimise the chance of damage.

The improvement on mine was huge when properly adjusted.

Good luck, haven't seen you for years now. Still riding the two strokes too? With better headlights!
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby jaywillie2912 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:37 pm

I was very displeased with the headlight when i first got my bike (2002 Skorpion Sport) . Man I just could not see much at nite when riding in the country ( top speed 40 mph) . I kept adjusting the light until I luckily hit the 'spot'. Now the light is just great, with no problem. Just keep adjusting.
jaywillie2912

Postby starfield181 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks for the various replies - sorry its taken me so long to respond but other projects have taken priority and I have only just got back to looking at the Traveller. Very tight under the fairing but I think I can see the two adjuster screws mentioned. If I have found the right ones they would take something like an 8mm socket or spanner or quite a small cross head screwdriver. Does that sound correct, If so which does up/down and which does l/r?

Thinking about it I was beginning to wonder if my problem was a RH dipping headlight as the dip beam seems to be skewed to the right leaving the nearside (for a Brit) in darkness. I can see no markings on the lens showing any specific dipping arrangement and it may simply be that mine is poorly adjusted. Assuming I have identified the correct screws then I'll have ago; just wish I had smaller hands.

Yes Richard I still have a small collection of 2-strokes. The move into 4 strokes is a new venture and something of a learning cure but I do like the handlebar mounted k/s!

Rgds

Peter
MZ RT125 2003
Lots MZ 2-Srokes
Velocette Venom
Triumph T100 1955
Kawasake KLX250
starfield181

Return to 660 cc