throttle cable max throttle stop

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

throttle cable max throttle stop

Postby handsomejackuk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 pm

just rerouted my throttle cables to behind the top yoke baghira 660... they were previoulsy on front of the yoke.. worked ok before, but kind of looked messy and were quite tight... anyway...

what is the reason for the adjuster screw on opposite side to the idle adjustment ? on the carb the one that stops the carb from fully opening, i have adjusted mine right out, as it was fully in... i dont go full throttle but seems like thats what its for to limit fully open...

Any thoughts ?
I'm a schizophrenic so am I !!!!
handsomejackuk

Re: throttle cable max throttle stop

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm

If you are talking about the screw on the top side, in between the two carbs, the big flathead screw, it sets the delay between the round slide and CV carbs. You want them to open as close together as possible for max performance out of the CV side, the side providing the most air and fuel, but you must make sure that the CV is fully closed when the throttle is at zero or the idle circuit will be completely messed up. If you are into relaxed in town driving, you can go ahead and set a big gap. The bike will be super tame and get better mileage but the CV carb will never open completely. Of course it doesn't open completely anyway unless you have done the mods from the off-the-road carb kit.

Somebody will probably chime in and recall the exact factory recommended setting, but I liked mine to open very early for maximum fun factor.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby handsomejackuk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 pm

nah the throttle stop on the left side carb the one with the float bowl there is an idle adjustment screw, and a screw to limit maximum opening what does it need to be set at or does it not matter...

not the adjustment that is in between the carbs
handsomejackuk

Postby handsomejackuk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:52 pm

edfmaniac wrote:If you are talking about the screw on the top side, in between the two carbs, the big flathead screw, it sets the delay between the round slide and CV carbs. You want them to open as close together as possible for max performance out of the CV side, the side providing the most air and fuel, but you must make sure that the CV is fully closed when the throttle is at zero or the idle circuit will be completely messed up. If you are into relaxed in town driving, you can go ahead and set a big gap. The bike will be super tame and get better mileage but the CV carb will never open completely. Of course it doesn't open completely anyway unless you have done the mods from the off-the-road carb kit.

Somebody will probably chime in and recall the exact factory recommended setting, but I liked mine to open very early for maximum fun factor.

can you please elaborate on this... many years ago i altered the timing so that the right carb opens pretty quickly almost as soon as the left carb... when i rotate the throttle i see the main carb open, and a short while after the other carb with the diaphragm opens....

What i tend to find, is if i twist the throttle slowly when in neutral the engine picks up smootlhy.. but if i twist the throttle fast the engine just dies... what does this point too ?

is it to do with the mixture, or the balancer screw on top
handsomejackuk

Postby edfmaniac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Sounds like a jetting issue to me. Hard to say really but doesn't sound like the delay setting for the CV carb.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby handsomejackuk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

decreased the delay and runs spot on never cuts out now and pulls like a train from a whiff of throttle
handsomejackuk

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 am

That makes sense to me.
Before you were trying to open a big carb (all be it a CV one)at low revs too quickly resulting in a `stalled` (or too low velocity) intake `charge`.It was only happy to do this if there was no load on the engine.
This is why there is a small carb in the setup, for low speed running and throttle response.
breakwellmz

Return to 660 cc