MZ Skorp - tank removal

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ Skorp - tank removal

Postby WaiNYC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 pm

It's been awhile since I last used this site. Hope all is well, and your MZs are running well and strong.

Quick question: Is it necessary to take out the petcock prior to removing the gas tank?

I remember when I restored my bike http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8119 back to life more than two years ago, I had to first take out the petcock, and that was messy and a pain to do because of the need to empty the tank of gas.

Any tips of how to do this more efficiently? Thanks for the help.

Wai
WaiNYC

Re: MZ Skorp - tank removal

Postby Windmill » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Wai, I've a Skorp Sport and have never removed the petrol tap to get the tank off. I've taken it off a number of times and as I recall, its a bit fiddly clearing the wiring loom but nothing more than that. Not sure whether its different between models ie sport/traveller etc though. Sorry, cant give any real tips here but mine certainly comes off without. Cheers, David.
Windmill

Postby WaiNYC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Windmill wrote:Hi Wai, I've a Skorp Sport and have never removed the petrol tap to get the tank off. I've taken it off a number of times and as I recall, its a bit fiddly clearing the wiring loom but nothing more than that. Not sure whether its different between models ie sport/traveller etc though. Sorry, cant give any real tips here but mine certainly comes off without. Cheers, David.

Thanks for the reply Dave. Mine is a 1996 Sport. Yours?
WaiNYC

Postby Windmill » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:45 pm

a 95, brings a smile to my face every time I ride it......
Windmill

Postby WaiNYC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Windmill wrote:a 95, brings a smile to my face every time I ride it......

Actually I remember wrong. Mine is also a 1995. Even though the bike has spent many years in storage, I'm the only owner from day one.

I wonder how many first year Skorp Sports are still out there...

A few bubbles started to show up on the front fairing, underneath that thick coat of yellow paint. Is yours the same?
WaiNYC

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:55 pm

TAKE IT OUTSIDE THIS IS A MESS TO DO

a straight piece of brake line and a hose and siphon the extra gas out of the tank

it does not all drain even on reserve
then remove petcock from tank
unbolt from frame but not at the first set of bolts too much danger of tank damage

many 4 letter words follow

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Windmill » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:02 pm

yes wai, bubbles on the tank (usual fuel/fibreglass woes) but someone had repainted mine so its no longer yellow.. its now black. Only had mine since I joined here so 2012? I think. no intention of ever selling at this stage, its one of those that just always works. :D

Hi David, hope you are well long time no speak.
Windmill

Return to 660 cc