Skorpion SV650 Rear Wheel Help

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion SV650 Rear Wheel Help

Postby warp_rider » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new to MZ bikes, but pretty familiar with building up underdog street bikes.

I just bought a 2000 Skorpion Tour, and I'm building a canyon carver out of it.
Planning on doing the SV650 fork and wheel swap on the front (until I can figure out how to mount my GSXR front end) and there's a guy that has a complete 2006 parts bike for dirt cheap, and I was wondering; what kind of hassle I have to go through to mount that SV rear wheel on my Skorpion?

I've seen Skorpions with Suzuki wheels, but have not been able to find any information on what is required to mount them.

I also saw something about using an aluminum DRZ400SM swingarm, but have also come up with zero information on how to install it.

Anyway, these bikes are pretty rad, and I appreciate any help I can get. Cheers.
Last edited by warp_rider on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motorcycles... because I don't have a healthy way of dealing with my emotions...
(instagram @the_warp_rider)
warp_rider

Re: Skorpion Rear Wheel Help

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm

The only wheel swap I've seen specs published for is the SZR 660 swap. They can be hard to find but are light and easily mounted on the Skorpion swing arm with the addition of the SZR caliper mounting plate and a little machining. The front also fits the Skorp with even less modification, just a wheel spacer. Add some Ractech valves to the stock forks and you are good to go. :D

I should add that the same wheels came on other model bikes, but I don't know the specifics and don't have links for you right now.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Re: Skorpion Rear Wheel Help

Postby warp_rider » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 pm

The idea behind using the SV650 wheels is availability and price (there's TONS of them in central California, and they're cheap) and the adjustable forks are a real plus.
I'm reluctant to spend that much time and money finding wheels for a bike I'm going to shred with... maybe if it was a track bike, and every gram mattered.

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty with a build, and if addition work is required; I'm game.
Motorcycles... because I don't have a healthy way of dealing with my emotions...
warp_rider

Re: Skorpion SV650 Rear Wheel Help

Postby warp_rider » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:38 am

It's totally a possible swap... Those are definitely SV wheels.

I was also looking at doing a Yamaha TZR 4DL wheels and USD fork, but I have my concerns about the fork length.
Came across this pic on Pinterest, and it looks like TZR forks and wheels (maybe SZR?)

I spent hours scouring the web trying to find info on this build, but came up with nothing.
warp_rider

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm pretty sure the TZR wheels were the ones I was talking about when I said there was another model bike that had the same wheels as the SZR. I'll have to hunt down the post on here but there is one about those wheels.

As for the SV650 wheels, I have little doubt that it can be done, but how much do you have to modify? Do you have to machine the wheel, the cush drive/sprocket carrier and make your own spacers, or is it minimal work like with the 4DL wheels? I've also seen KTM 690 wheels on a Skorp. Was originally going to buy forged Marchesinis for my project bike until reality sank in. LOL Too much money. So I just found the Brembo set from the SZR and had them powder coated.

I'll try to find Bill J's post about he Yamaha wheels.

GEDC1106.JPG

GEDC1126.JPG
Last edited by edfmaniac on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5518&hilit=swap#p28231

This should help. Sounds like there were several different widths of mag on the various TZR's. Later in the thread a guy mentions what all he had to do to get the Suzuki wheels to fit. Yikes!
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby warp_rider » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 am

Looks like I just need to buy those SV wheels and dust off my lathe 8)
warp_rider

Postby warp_rider » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Wheels, suspension, and a different tank have been ordered... I think it's time to start a build thread.
warp_rider

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:09 pm

May as well toss the sub frame too. It's so overbuilt that an elephant could ride on the back. Don't know if it's still available but JRi had a modular shock system that could be set up to bolt right in. Check with your local JRi shock tech.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Just throwing it out there to see what it's worth since my interest has fallen off after my truck crash a few years ago. I still have my wheels with brand new rubber, brand new rotors/Brembo calipers, and JRi shock that have never even been on the road yet. Other stuff too like full race exhaust, Mikuni's, programmable ignition, etc. Tons of stuff. Let me know if you are interested in anything and we can talk prices. Engine has some pretty sweet work too but I don't know if anyone would be willing to pay what I'd want to give that up.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Return to 660 cc