Skorpion Traveller

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion Traveller

Postby manxie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am

I sold my Skorpion Sport because I couldn`t get on with the riding position and to be truthful, was a bit of a dog. However, apart from the riding position I loved the bike.

So today I went out and bought a 2000 Skorpion Traveller. All original except indicators (originals with the bike) in lovely condition and also comes with the original panniers. I`m taking delivery of it next week end and just looking forward to some dry warm weather now :( :(

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
PICT0009.JPG
Bikes - MZ Skorpion Traveller, Yamaha XT250 (project) Bultaco Sherpa (project)
manxie
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Nice. Do yourself a favor, open up the airbox by removing the snorkle and rejet the bike. You'll immediately change the character of the power delivery. Stock main jets are too rich and the pilot jet is too lean, which sometimes causes it to be hard to start cold.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby manxie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm

I`ll take a look at that, thanks for the info. What size jets do you recommend :wink:
Bikes - MZ Skorpion Traveller, Yamaha XT250 (project) Bultaco Sherpa (project)
manxie
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm

manxie wrote:I`ll take a look at that, thanks for the info. What size jets do you recommend :wink:



Keihin 135 and 155 for the mains and a Mikuni TM28/486 #40 or #38 on the pilot
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby manxie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 am

THANK YOU ;-)
Bikes - MZ Skorpion Traveller, Yamaha XT250 (project) Bultaco Sherpa (project)
manxie
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby breakwellmz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:12 am

edfmaniac wrote:
manxie wrote:I`ll take a look at that, thanks for the info. What size jets do you recommend :wink:



Keihin 135 and 155 for the mains and a Mikuni TM28/486 #40 or #38 on the pilot


Hi
How do the (later) Mastiff/Baghira compare main jet wise? I know they have too small a pilot jet but did they put more suitable main jets in them?
It seems odd that a manufacturer could get it so wrong. :roll:
breakwellmz
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:11 am
Location: SW England

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 am

Probably the same treatment for the other 660 models. Do they have the fuel pump that all of the Skorpion owners are supposed to immediately take off?

I think the jetting issue was pretty common in a certain era of bikes. Lean on the bottom for emissions tests, and fat on the top so the average rider could put a lifetime of riding on the bike safely, at nearly any altitude, without having to rejet it. The jets I recommended would probably be too lean in colder, high altitude settings, but really wake the bike up here at 500ft sea level and 69.4F on average.

FYI Almost every bike ever produced is leaving horsepower on the factory floor for one reason or another. You just have to do a little research for your model then put in some work, or pay someone, to uncork it. Pulling airbox snorkles or venting the airbox, matching carb boots to intake, rejetting, grinding restrictive header welds, and aftermarket performance exhausts are all things people usually do to unleash potential hp without needing a degree in high performance tuning.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

It seems odd that a manufacturer could get it so wrong.

they had help from the smog testers that have never rode a bike
Dave 2002 MZ RT125 +1995 Saxon Tour (rotax500cc)
1997 MZ Skorpion Traveller added 6/13/09
Located in WV USA
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
E mail wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
User avatar
DAVID THOMPSON
Moderator
 
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:01 am
Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 am

edfmaniac wrote:Probably the same treatment for the other 660 models. Do they have the fuel pump that all of the Skorpion owners are supposed to immediately take off?

I think the jetting issue was pretty common in a certain era of bikes. Lean on the bottom for emissions tests, and fat on the top so the average rider could put a lifetime of riding on the bike safely, at nearly any altitude, without having to rejet it. The jets I recommended would probably be too lean in colder, high altitude settings, but really wake the bike up here at 500ft sea level and 69.4F on average.

FYI Almost every bike ever produced is leaving horsepower on the factory floor for one reason or another. You just have to do a little research for your model then put in some work, or pay someone, to uncork it. Pulling airbox snorkles or venting the airbox, matching carb boots to intake, rejetting, grinding restrictive header welds, and aftermarket performance exhausts are all things people usually do to unleash potential hp without needing a degree in high performance tuning.


Hi

That`s interesting.I suppose for an emissions test the engine is not under load so you will not get off the pilot jet.

In terms of hidden power i know what you mean.After seeing a virgin-snow-white plug colour and poor running on the Puzey ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8821&hilit=+puzey ) initially i`ve gone richer on the main jet from 125 to 135 and raised the needle 3 notches, the difference is amazing!
The Puzey is South African and i think the jetting it came with was suited to high altitude and a hot climate, nothing like near sea level and the current cold damp climate here in the UK.
The Mastiff does not have have a fuel pump.

Cheers
breakwellmz
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:11 am
Location: SW England

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 am

edfmaniac wrote:
manxie wrote:I`ll take a look at that, thanks for the info. What size jets do you recommend :wink:



Keihin 135 and 155 for the mains and a Mikuni TM28/486 #40 or #38 on the pilot



Hi.

Took the carbs off the Mastiff today.
Main jets are 130 and 165 respectively and i`ve got a 37.5 pilot jet to go in.
I think i will leave the 130(Although i have an appropriate size drill to take it to 135 thinking on it) and drop down to down to 155 on the Mikuni, any thoughts?
We don`t really do altitude here in the UK! :wink:

Cheers.
breakwellmz
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:11 am
Location: SW England

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Just for clarity, there are no Mikuni carbs. Factory carb is a Teikei, but the jets are hard to find in the US, so I use Keihin main jets for the slide carb and the CV carb, and Mikuni for the pilot. It's just what I had available. If you have the same model pilot jet that I recommended but a #37.5 instead of a #38 or #40, you might have the same problems as the stock jet, having to run the mixture screw too far out. I'd run the #38 or larger. As for the mains, you could probably get away with 130/155. Just check the plug to make sure it isn't too lean.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby breakwellmz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 am

Hi

Thanks for that.Yes, Teikei not Keihin :oops:
Teikei jets are hard to find here but so are the Keihin 1001-806 type ones that are fitted.(I`ve only found one uk source but loads in the USA)
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/carb ... ion-chart/
At the time a 37.5 pilot jet was the largest i could find but having looked again this morning i see i can now get a 40.(The supplier appears to show steps as being 2.5)-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Mikuni-C ... hf4COBWY4A
Compared to the Puzey where i can change a jet in a few minutes, i feel there is more emphasis on getting the right jets in the MZ first time because it`s so much more of a pain to get the carb off!
The plug has always looked lean but that could be down to the small pilot jet, the exhaust end has always looked rich.
What i would really like to achieve is a much lighter throttle action, but i think with all the mechanism involved that is unlikely. :(
Thanks again edfmaniac.
Cheers.
breakwellmz
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:11 am
Location: SW England

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby Skorpion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:30 am

breakwellmz wrote:Hi

Thanks for that.Yes, Teikei not Keihin :oops:
Teikei jets are hard to find here but so are the Keihin 1001-806 type ones that are fitted.(I`ve only found one uk source but loads in the USA)
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/carb ... ion-chart/
At the time a 37.5 pilot jet was the largest i could find but having looked again this morning i see i can now get a 40.(The supplier appears to show steps as being 2.5)-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Mikuni-C ... hf4COBWY4A
Compared to the Puzey where i can change a jet in a few minutes, i feel there is more emphasis on getting the right jets in the MZ first time because it`s so much more of a pain to get the carb off!
The plug has always looked lean but that could be down to the small pilot jet, the exhaust end has always looked rich.
What i would really like to achieve is a much lighter throttle action, but i think with all the mechanism involved that is unlikely. :(
Thanks again edfmaniac.
Cheers.


Will this help they seem to have a good selection of jets.

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ommon/home
Skorpion
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:01 am

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby edfmaniac » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am

Try jetsrus.com. They should have everything.

A smooth throttle can be had with fresh cables. I put a throttle grip on my bike that had a shorter throw too. Can't remember which bike it came from though, and it wasn't a direct fit. I had to do some Dremel work to get it to work, but it reduced throw by quite a bit.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Skorpion Traveller

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:56 am

Thanks for that Scorpian but the company i referred to have since got back to say they can supply what i want. :D

Edfmaniac-I thought of changing my throttle twistgrip to a single cable 90 degree trials type but can`t decide whether a slow or fast action will give me a lighter action, any thoughts anyone? I`m spoil`t by my other bikes really light throttle action, but then it`s only pulling a single slide against a light coiled spring.

Cheers
breakwellmz
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:11 am
Location: SW England


Return to 660 cc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests

cron