Poor running after big acceleration

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Poor running after big acceleration

Postby breakwellmz » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 am

Hi
I have a problem with poor low speed running after heavy acceleration followed by heavy braking (The two often go hand in hand!) on the Mastiff.It has the symptoms of a semi-blocked pilot jet -won`t idle, coughs and splutters at small throttle openings, fine at larger ones.
It doesn`t sort itself out, but draining and flushing the float bowl (Which takes just a few minutes) gets me running fine until the next time.
I had the carbs off several months ago not because of this but because it was about time i did, and to do some recommended jetting changes, so they obviously had a thorough cleaning then.
I recently stripped and cleaned the fuel tap assembly a flushed the tank out which hasn`t made any difference.
Any thoughts please anyone?
Cheers
breakwellmz

Re: Poor running after big acceleration

Postby edfmaniac » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Are you running a small micron filter between the tank and carb? The only thing I can think of that has those symptoms and can be fixed by removing and draining the float bowl is dirty fuel plugging the pilot. It doesn't take much. Try a filter if you don't have one.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 am

Hi

Thanks for that.
No, it`s never had a filter but whatever is causing the problem i feel must already be `hiding` in there and only rears its head after some heavy duty acceleration!
It`s actually got a larger than original sized pilot jet than original so should be less inclined to block!
I`m curios as to the `mechanism` by which this happens, if there is muck in there it should always be a problem not just after its been `given a big handful`surely?

Cheers
breakwellmz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 am

even when running ethanol free GAS the big problem with my bikes..
has always been crud in the fuel or the recommended plug is wrong
then bad choice of jet sizes

old /2 BMW's seem to run poor from weak spark if the mag is not working proper(out of adjustment)
installed a 12volt test. point and coil system on one and the difference was much better
it let me know the carbs were OK
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:34 am

edfmaniac wrote:Are you running a small micron filter between the tank and carb? The only thing I can think of that has those symptoms and can be fixed by removing and draining the float bowl is dirty fuel plugging the pilot. It doesn't take much. Try a filter if you don't have one.

Hi

Certainly short-term i seem to have sorted the problem by draining the float bowl via the drain screw, blasting carb cleaner down the fuel inlet and draining again.
My problem is fitting a filter in the short gap between tap and carb without kinking the line.
I got hold of a Polisport In-Line Fuel Filter which is short enough, but being plastic, the bore looks too small to pass enough fuel in extreme demand, or is this not an issue?
I`ve fitted filters to numerous bikes easily over the years, what do other people use on their Mastiffs/Baghiras?

Cheers
breakwellmz

Postby Puffs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 am

Following a moderator choice that is IMO biased and flawed (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby breakwellmz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:17 am

Hi
That`s an interesting take on it, thanks.
I had the carbs apart less than a thousand miles ago and found nothing untoward, and the bike has done only 16,000 miles.
The poor running doesn`t settle down or go away until until i flush/clean.
Have just measured the bore of this Polisport filter and it`s only 3,6mm diameter (tube bore 6mm) Is this large enough to flow enough fuel?

Cheers
breakwellmz

Postby Puffs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:08 am

Following a moderator choice that is IMO biased and flawed (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby breakwellmz » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:11 pm

I`ve at last sorted this out!
After putting another in-line filter on without any change, i thought of one last thing before having to bite the bullet and take the carbs off.....
Took out the slow running adjustment screw(6) and blasted aerosol carb cleaner up the hole it came out of, and put the screw back in; it`s been fine ever since!!! :D :D
Thanks for all your input chaps.
Attachments
MZ CARB.jpg
breakwellmz

Return to 660 cc