Rust Swinging Arm - Spherical bearing

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Rust Swinging Arm - Spherical bearing

Postby Tramcard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 am

IMG_0363.JPG
hole on arm
The other day decided to give bike an oil change and general check over. I had noticed a few small rust marks on the non drive side of the swinging arm and decided to clean up.
Small rust marks turned out to be hiding big rust marks under the plastic coating and these turned out to be big rust holes after a gentle push with a screw diver. A bit more than a bit of filler could quickly cope with and removal of the arm showed the damage to not be the repairable type.
Obviously no Skorpion arms on eBay and while it is obviously off an FZ600R I suspect thee might be some differences. Also those on eBay looked nearly as rough as mine.
So I bit the bullet, rang Grahams and as a new arm does not cost an arm and a leg I await its arrival from Germany via Somerset.
Not sure if bearings are fitted or not, doubt it sso a new lot of them as well.

So check that right hand arm.

As I have the suspension down I might as well check the other bearings, especially that odd spherical bearing which I believe MZ/Yamaha can charge an arm and a leg for but is actually standard. Needle rollers are all marked but I believe that one is not. Anyhow being prepared does anyone know what size it is. MZ parts list does not give the type, just their part number.

Panic over. My filing system works and I have it as a CSS-12 bore 12mm OD 26mm and length 16mm at £12.80 (probably out of date now). So it seems I only need confirmation.
Tramcard

Re: Rust Swinging Arm - Spherical bearing

Postby lavrentyuk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks for that, mine is starting to show signs but isn't that bad (yet).

I had to have a closer look when I was replacing a rear wheel bearing this week - getting to be time for a strip and repaint at least - with lots of wax in the inside of the swing arm I think.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby silectric » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am

Just to update I got a new swinging arm from Grahams and needle bearings. To be honest I only think a couple of the needle bearings actually needed replacing. Pleasant surprise was to find the spherical bearing in the linkage after the gunge was cleaned off was fine. I am going to make sure a regular squirt of grease goes down there now. Had it out a couple of times since fitting the new arm and no problems. However I set off the other day, stall the bike by knocking it into gear occidentally and a link had bent on the chain. When I had it off with the arm it did not look too bad. When I rang Grahams to get a new set of sprockets and chain found it was eight years old. Time if not mileage obviously sorted it. Cold and damp at the moment so waiting for a chance to get it sorted.
silectric

Postby Ally » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:10 pm

how much was the swingarm

the website used to have a price list but cannot find it now

:)
Ally

Postby Tramcard » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am

I have not got the receipt to hand but about £250 which I did not think was too bad, I had been expecting worse. Putting bearing in though turned out to be tricker than getting them out. Only thing is I wish I had changed the chain and sprockets at the same time. I umed and ared and decided not to only having to change them soon after fitting the new arm!! :-)
Tramcard

Postby Ally » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:18 pm

I had a lot of trouble getting bearings out on my fj1200, had to grind the insides out with a dremel

good times!

I had some rust issues on my own bike, thankfully, I was able to repair and paint, the £250 wouldn't have been too terrible though

:)
Ally

Return to 660 cc